The Del Rey and Dark Horse Comics panel for Star Wars has just taken place at the San Diego Comic-Con, with two new novels being announced (and official confirmation of a third).
Star Wars: The Last Jedi, by Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff, would appear to be the final installment in the Coruscant Nights series, but oddly enough, there doesn’t seem to be any connection to the series in the title or on the cover art, and it is being billed as a stand-alone in the official blurb.
Ever since Emperor Palpatine’s Order 66 – which called for the execution of all Jedi – Jax Pavan is the last Knight around to fight the dark side of the Force. Together with his droid I-5, Jax has eluded Vader time and again, all the while wreaking havoc against the Empire through the underground resistance on Coruscant. But now the Rebel’s leader on the city-planet has been captured, and it’s up to the Last Jedi to ride again… possibly for one final adventure.
We reported on Twitter last week that Last of the Jedi was already in the editing stages, but this serves as an official announcement from Del Rey.
The unexpected announcement came in the form of a connection between Dark Horse Comics and Del Rey. Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void will tie into the comic series (from John Ostrander and Jan Duursema) that wrapped up its first arc recently. The novel will be written by Tim Lebbon, who has written award-winning novels and worked for Dark Horse on comics before.
The final announcement was that Troy Denning will be penning the first post-Fate of the Jedi novel, titled Star Wars: Crucible. The official blurb follows:
Han, Luke, and Leia are back in action–older and wiser, but as ready as ever to leap headlong into adventure!
Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia have spent a lifetime fighting wars, bringing the Jedi back from extinction, raising families, and saving the galaxy more times than they can count. They’ve earned the right to rest on their laurels and let the younger generation shoulder the burden–but fate has another adventure in store for our heroes, a quest only they can tackle and hope to survive…
More details on the novel, from Troy Denning –
- Lando will be involved, but grandchildren will not.
- The Jedi find they have bigger things to worry about than the possible fate of Abeloth and the Sith.
- There are new villains that connect to the West End games.
Here are some further tidbits on future Dark Horse and Del Rey titles –
- There are no plans for a prequel to Darth Plagueis.
- There are no plans for further Star Wars: Invasion stories. 2013 is too busy – they may be able to return to that comic in the future.
- A new project that was initially rejected by Lucasfilm 10 years ago is currently in the works. Dark Horse is being very quiet about it.
- More will be revealed by Dark Horse and Del Rey at Star Wars Celebration VI.