Star Wars author Karen Traviss just announced on her personal blog that Imperial Commando 2 will be her last Star Wars book. While she doesn’t give specific details as to why she’s leaving, she does say that “changes in continuity were such that [she] wouldn’t be able to carry on as originally planned with the storyline [in her novels].”
She talks about how “the cannon [was] beyond [her] control,” and that she was left with a few choices: she “could try to make the massive retcons. Or [she] could switch to different SW books that weren’t affected by these changes. Or [she] could decide to call it a day.” Sadly, the latter choice was the only “rational decision.”
The question is: where does this problem in continuity exist? Some fans have speculated that it involves the timeline of Order 66, on which Karen Traviss worked very hard. Others think it has to do with the Mandalorians, which will be heavily featured in Season 2 of The Clone Wars. The show has already caused some continuity errors, and the introduction of the Mandos could mess up everything Karen Traviss has worked on for the last few years. Sadly, we may never know where the problem lies.
Personally, I’m very sad to see Karen Traviss go. She was one of my favorite Star Wars authors, and I loved the Republic Commando series. While we will miss her, we wish her luck in her future endeavors.
Source: Karen Traviss’ Blog
Karen Traviss is known for writing realistic military stories. She was influential in developing and fleshing out the Clone Wars. She created a culture for the Clone Troopers and Mandalorians, laying the ground work for such great stories as Rookies in The Clone Wars Season 1. She even created the entire Mando’a language based on a few songs from the LucasArts video game Republic Commando. While she’s no longer writing for Star Wars, fans of Karen Traviss can continue reading her personal books, as well as her Gears of War series, based on the hit Xbox 360 videogame.
Karen Traviss Star Wars Novels:
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact (October 2004)
- Republic Commando: Tripple Zero (March 2006)
- Republic Commando: True Colors (October 2007)
- Republic Commando: Order 66 (September 2008)
- Imperial Commando: 501st (November 2009)
- Imperial Commando 2 (TBA)
- Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines (September 2006)
- Legacy of the Force: Sacrafice (June 2007)
- Legacy of the Force: Revelation (February 2008)
- Boba Fett: A Practical Man (August 2006)
- The Clone Wars (July 2008)
- The Clone Wars: No Prisoners (May 2009)