Could this be the knife that kills Star Wars?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They should make that, but Jagged Fel being where he is now, I don't think we are going to see Imps as cannon fodder in any large quantities.

I don't know if it's allright to talk about the Abyss blurb, but when it comes to the pair of Sith in that novel, it would have been far more interesting if Tahiri would have stayed as a Sith in Invincible, would have gotten away, and would now, with her own apprentice, try to kill Luke in Abyss. Ok, the ending would still be same, but it would have more emotional impact. And it would have given some justification for her trip to the Dark Side in LotF.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Speaking of the two Sith Luke and Ben run into, I wonder if they're a branch of the RCSith or another group of Sith.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

If u ask me---Bantam was ALL ABT IMPERiALS....the Siths were faar and few....in contrast the Yuuzhan vong Ended quickly/which is gud....Now hopefully Its gonna be abt the MAndos and Siths atleast i hope so...I wudnt mind Siths bein the main plot fr a while...
_________________-
And NO matter Wat "concept" the Siths hav in the series of the Force....the writer can get away wid it...cuz after all the Force is a mystery and Not Even Yoda truly understood it=p

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Sith..
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Well....these next books are part of the Skywalker saga aren't they? Jedi are people overcoming themselves. Sith are people not overcoming themselves. Kind of goes back to Joseph Campbell's "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" that Lucas embraced doesn't it? The hero in all mythology being a person that overcomes their own previous self and comes out better? It seems as long as a Skywalker is in the story that theme tends to be ongoing. As in.....we're stuck with Jedi and Sith.
I just hope we don't get any more brat Sith like Jason. (It's hard to even call him by his wanna be a Sith name..)
The Darth Caedus, - not so deep like Palps or strong like Bane -, type of Sith does make me a little nervous about what they'll come up with next... with yet another lost tribe. But I'll still buy every book.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote  

Well it looks like we're getting more "normal" Sith, and not the red skinned tentacled ones I was hoping for. Oh well, at least the Sith babe looks pretty cool on the Omen cover.

And with some more details be shed on where these new Sith are coming from....
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

...I'm interested in seeing how this works out.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
Rouge77 wrote:
Too many Sith, too many Skywalkers, too much Empire and Imperials Too much dark gritty despair. So the Sith are not the only thing we are getting in huge quantities, but yes, their numbers start to be overwhelming.

I don't agree with too many Skywalkers. Without them Star Wars is kinda... Confused (just my opinion). Too many Imps? That's a little more complex. On one hand, in Bantam it got tiring, but Del Rey's work with the Imperial Remnant and Dark Horse's Fel Empire, thus far, has been interesting. Imps make great cannon fodder as well. Razz

I agree about too many Skywalkers. There's an entire universe to explore, so many important characters, other Jedi both presently and in the past, famous battles, etc. that don't involve the Skywalkers and would be cool to hear about.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'd like to see other, less talked about characters explored more. The Horns, for example. I'd like to see how they develop, especially Valin, who I took a liking to in Fury.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, the Horns at least will get more pagetime in FotJ.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't think a book just about the Horns would age very well. Whereas books about Skywalkers tend to get lots of mileage. The way to do it, as you mentioned, Rouge, is like in FotJ. Give the minor characters fairly large roles, but still having the book be about the Skywalkers.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
I don't think a book just about the Horns would age very well. Whereas books about Skywalkers tend to get lots of mileage. The way to do it, as you mentioned, Rouge, is like in FotJ. Give the minor characters fairly large roles, but still having the book be about the Skywalkers.

I don't agree with that because tales from the Old Republic days before there were any Skywalker's have aged very well. The Darth Bane series continues to be very interesting and there isn't a Skywalker to be seen. By constricting the universe to Skywalker's and only Skywalker's you are creating a very small universe where in the end the cations of the other characters don't matter because it will come down to the actions of the Skywalker's. Give me a full universe, not one that is limited to one family, it is Star Wars after all, not Skywalker Wars.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Anything from the Old Republic shows how the stories can be about more than Skywalkers; however, they've mainly always been about Sith, but continuity has said there was always Sith causing trouble until Bane became the last of them. I guess the Sith don't bug me if they (much like the Mandalorians) flourish where continuity used to say they flourished; both groups could have come back slowly, especially since I can believe someone becoming a Sith during the Yuuzhan Vong war and slowly building an army, not just popping up and implying they've been hiding out all this time (maybe these new Sith will have more of a backstory given than the ones in LotF who really did just pop up). And in The Unifying Force, Luceno showed us Boba Fett rebuilding the Mandalorians but then they were said to always be around. What will "kill" Star Wars is if they keep throwing in villains that don't make sense with continuity without giving them plausible back stories; hopefully FotJ addresses these issues concerning the new Sith (of course, a crashed ship is plausible, but why did it take them this long to be found and suddenly decide to kill Skywalker? How did they hide from the Sith between Bane and Palpatine, who I would believe would eliminate these threats? I'm curious to find out).

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 2