Republic Commando: Hard Contact: Chapters 6-10 (June 15th)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Book Club Discussion View previous topic :: View next topic  
Republic Commando: Hard Contact: Chapters 6-10 (June 15th)
 PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Discussions for chapters 1-5 are now OPEN. And start reading chapters 11-15 for next Sunday.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Due to previous committments, I am currently only up to chapter 7 in this book (although I have read it previously), but several things have caught my attention already:

IMO, apart from I, Jedi, this book (and its series) are unlike any other SW books. Firstly, so far into the story, it contains no film characters what so ever, meaning that as a reader we have no familiar characters to latch on to. Ideally, this could mean that we didn't know who were the good guys and who were the baddies, but unfortunately because we are familiar with the background events (ie The Clone Wars) we know who are the goodies and who should be the baddies!

Secondly, although Karen is a SFF writer, this book does not appear to be overtly SFF in nature - perhaps because I, as a SW fan, am more familiar with the SW universe and so unconsciensously do not notice as much the fantasy elements of the story. Instead, I feel that Karen's personal knowledge of the military is what stands out. Her descriptions of the clone commandos, from their armour and weaponry to their personal foibles are maticously detailed. Their tactics, training and actions are clearly based upon personal experience or bloody good research! Reminds me a bit of Band of Brothers.

Karen's characterisations, so far, are believable and I can already emphasise with both the young and scared Jedi Padawan Etain and RC Darman. So far in to this book, my only concern with characterisations is that of Hokan, for me their is something about his character that troubles me, but I can't quite pin it down - maybe it's his Mandalorian heritage (Karen loves her Mando's!!)- I don't know.

Favourite bit so far: mmmm Etain's first meeting with Darman (p.93-97) when she can sense only a child!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Zee Zee wrote:
I feel that Karen's personal knowledge of the military is what stands out. Her descriptions of the clone commandos, from their armour and weaponry to their personal foibles are maticously detailed. Their tactics, training and actions are clearly based upon personal experience or bloody good research! Reminds me a bit of Band of Brothers.

Agreed. Hard Contact is definitely based more in 'reality' than other Star Wars novels have been in the past. I think the latter, "bloody good research", is how she achieves this. She seems to have quite a lot of neat contacts.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

warhammer accounts
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote  

Age of conan cd key, age of conan time card, aoc cd key, Stargate worlds cd key, stargate worlds time card.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Soup and Celery, not this again. Rolling Eyes

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

*grin* You sound like my sister. She would have said Sweetness and Sauerkraut. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laughing
You gotta love us NarniaWebbers.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Book Club Discussion

Page 1 of 1