Who is the worst EU author?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who is the worst EU author?
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Which of the many EU authors do you think is the worst & why?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Such a hard question, there are some who couldn't be in this category and some that just plain belong. Hm, well as hard as it is to say it I'm gonna have to say KJ Anderson. He had the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and I liked good chunks of that (especially the Exar Kun storyline) but Darksaber is my least favorite of any of the novels.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Before this gets off the ground: Please take in to consideration our policy toward flaming authors. Disliking works for valid reasons is one thing, flaming an author because he wrote something you didn't like is something totally different and not acceptable here.

We'll keep this open, for now, but if you have nothing civil to say, please just say nothing at all.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

KJA. Reason: JAT. Even Crystal Star was better written and had a sensible plot, although not a very good one. So, quality of the writing, not authorial decisions are behind my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote  

My 'least' favorite authors would be Brian Daley for writing Han Solo At Star's End, and William C. Dietz for the Dark Forces trilogy. I found those stories to be a little dry and hard to get into, most notably At Star's End which was the first Star Wars novel I read where I actually got bored of it and didn't want to read anymore. Though I will say the other two stories in the Han Solo Adventures were better.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
My 'least' favorite authors would be Brian Daley for writing Han Solo At Star's End, and William C. Dietz for the Dark Forces trilogy. I found those stories to be a little dry and hard to get into, most notably At Star's End which was the first Star Wars novel I read where I actually got bored of it and didn't want to read anymore. Though I will say the other two stories in the Han Solo Adventures were better.

The Dark Forces Trilogy should've been left in the video games I'll admit, but the book made more connection to Bane, Kaan, and the thought bomb on Ruusan. I thought that made them noteworthy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, I was so glad somebody finally let the trapped souls out. Of all things, that bothered me greatly at the end of Bane. I couldn't help but think, "But they can't stay like that forever!" So anyway...that's the main reason I liked them. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Elaine Cunningham-I think she portrayed Jaina absolutely wrong in Dark Journey. I still find it so unfair how Cunningham wrote Jaina's stand-alone, and Jacen got STOVER... Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
Elaine Cunningham-I think she portrayed Jaina absolutely wrong in Dark Journey. I still find it so unfair how Cunningham wrote Jaina's stand-alone, and Jacen got STOVER... Sad

Cunningham is alright in my opinion, but yeah, Stover is a king amonst peasants in the Star Wars universe right now. That's my boy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My only problem with Cunningham's Dark Journey was how the whole story focused on Jaina struggling with the dark side and the value of her own life which is resolved on the second to last page of the book, and she just blinks twice and goes "oh my goodness, why am I doing this." It was a little anticlimatic, but I still enjoyed the book overall.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dietz is probably mine. I didn't even finsh Soilder For The Empire and I always finish Star Wars however bad they may be. I actually liked KJA's writing style, but the plotlines weren't all that good.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I've never read Soldier for the Empire, but I've always seen it at one of the comic stores I would visit.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote  

Yeah, the Dark Forces Trilogy was a pretty awful read. I managed to grind through it, but it wasn't pleasant. Regardless, I'd still like to read the unreleased Escape from Dagu book he wrote. It's a shame they won't.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1