Armed Forces

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Armed Forces
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So...what's your opinion on the armed forces of our nation? Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard, Reserves, etc. I've always been a major fan of every branch and have no idea what we would do without them. The people who spit on soldiers (whether figuratively or even for real) disappoint me in every way. How can we despise a group of people who give their lives to protect us? I just don't understand it.

I bring this up mainly because we had a Marine visit our class today, and I was absolutely shocked at the general negative aura going around. Most of my classmates admitted that they think negatively when they hear the word Marine. And that just saddened me in every way. What upset me more, though, was how little they knew. They have no idea what's happening to soldiers in Iraq (and elsewhere) and what has happened to soldiers in the past. I never realized how many people don't know and just don't care about our protectors. It's really...sad/distressing/disappointing. I don't know the right word for it, but you get what I mean. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really appreciate what the armed forces do for our country (as pathetic as it has recently become), and good luck to them wherever they may be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Being an ex-Navy man myself, I can certainly feel offended at some of these people's attitude. I remember being very proud of defending my country, although the looks i got from people in foreign places was not so hot. Confused These young men and women in our armed forces deserve our respect and even admiration. They are the ones standing up for our right to live the way we do, and unfortunately, they sometimes pay the ultimate price for doing so. So these persons that look a service man or woman cross eyed do not deserve my respect, in my opinion. Not meaning this rant towards you, Mara Jade, it's just a sore point to me, no disrespect meant, and my apologies if it seemed that way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

No, it's okay. I understand what you mean, and I completely agree. Not that I've ever been in the military myself, but I have the utmost respect for those who have been or currently are.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree. It is pretty sick how people are like that. This is just my opinion, disagree if you will, but I think fighting is unavoidable. You can't just let injustice rule. You have to, literaly fight for what you believe in.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I love the armed forces I know two guys serving in the service now and my friend Corey joins in May.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote  

I have the greatest respect for the armed forces.

My own opinion of why we are losing respect for them is: 1) history classes generally try to avoid discussing military history and when they talk about wars they try to focus on anything but the actual battles. Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't learn about politics or the home front but really those things weren't the focus of the time period itself. I think perhaps it has to do with society these days not wanting to actually see or hear anything to do with actual combat (take for example that the government tends to be very restrictive of what photos get printed etc.). How can we appreciate the sacrifice of the soldiers if our society, including the government doesn't want to publicly acknowledge it except through slogans, speeches, and articles that don't address the human cost of war? Note: I say "government" instead of naming a specific party because as far as I can tell neither party is inclined to really change this trend.

2) movies and games have become increasingly gory and to me it just seems that if as a society we see gore as entertaining how can we actually appreciate how horrible war is? Now I'm not saying ban war movies and violent video games, certainly since the start of time little boys have played war games with sticks. Perhaps its just me, it just seems that when society regularly considers it acceptable to expose us to movies and games where the only purpose of the gore is for its "wow" factor it makes it difficult to have any appreciation of what it is like to watch a friend get blown to pieces or die a horrible death.

3) politics have divided us lately where "support the troops" must automatically mean "support [insert war]" We've let the politicians associate a specific war with themselves and then associate support of the troops with said war it by extension associates them with that party. We've let politics get so polarized that it is becoming you are either with us or against us in both parties and I think, very regrettably, the armed forces has gotten caught in the cross fire because we have trained people to hate passionately anyone with opposing political views and so can't respect the armed forces because there is no real middle ground left for them to take.

I'm fairly certain that not all of you will agree with all or any of my points but I'm not trying to turn this into a flame fest or get into political mud slinging. All I want to do with this is throw some ideas out there of why this is happening, as the only way to remedy it is by constructively trying to figure out the "why" so as to come up with a solution. So if you disagree with me fine but please lets avoid having a "he said she said" political debate or anything of that nature.

Our Armed Forces ......
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Every time I see a man or woman in uniform I feel I must go up to them and thank them personally for the sacrifice they give this country everyday. I have flown an American flag outside our house 24/7 since 9/11. It is in honer of our these men and women serving our country until they come home.

My father is an ex-Marine and my grandfather was a Doughboy in WW1. I was going to join up if I flunked out of college ( I almost did folks - too much partying). I have always had respect for our military and for me the Marines more so. If todays generation does not see that what they have is because of the sacrifices these men and women (and their families BTW) do on a daily basis or have done over the years this country has been around - they have a hugh problem.

No person in a uniform should be bad mouthed, belittled or put down. Someday the uniform may be standing over you or by you when it's needed most.

I am going to put a quote here from General George S. Patton. It comes from his memoirs "War As I Knew It" published my Bantam War Books. Last paragraph on pg 237 and finishes on pg 238 and I quote

"Pacifists would do well to study the Siegfried and Maginot Lines, remembering that these defenses were forced; that Troy fell; that the wall of Hadrian succumbed; that the Great Wall of China was futile; and that, by the same token, the mighty seas which are alleged to defend us can be circumvented by a resolute and ingenious opponent. In war, the only sure defense is offense, and the efficiency of offense depends on the warlike souls of those conducting it."

I'm off my soapbox now. Your Uncle Kal does not like hearing stuff like this. I just shake my head and feel sorry for those who just don't get it.

Good Night and Good Luck - and in honor of my father - OohRah!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1