Overall thoughts on Season One

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
Overall thoughts on Season One
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay, Iím really bored today so I thought Iíd write a review for Season 1 of The Clone Wars. I might add some more later, but Iíll see how it goes.

Dave Filoni: Iím really happy with the way Dave Filoni is handling The Clone Wars. He seems just like a fellow fan and not All-powerful. He has some really neat ideas and heís a pleasure to listen to.
The Look: I remember some reviewer calling it Ďuglyí. I really donít know what he was talking about. I think the look is eye candy. The characters, though slightly distorted are easily recognizable. CGI was definitely needed for this to get the physical look it has.
Jedi: The Jedi (not including the famous ones) didnít really hit my expectations. Kit Fisto sure wasnít his Happy-go-lucky self. They all acted the same. However Iím very glad they didnít exaggerate their powers. Mace taking out sixty battle droids, unarmed? Come onÖ
Ahsoka Tano: Ahsoka is probably my favourite character in The Clone Wars. A lot of people didnít like her, which is kind of borked. I liked her attitude and, though Iíll admit some of her nicknames were kinda cheesey, she has pretty good dialogue. Which will lead me into the next topicÖ
Continuity: Unlike many fans, I wasnít really upset by this. I never payed close attention to Clone Wars chronology anyway. Maybe Iím just biased, because I like Snips, but I wasnít angry at all about the fact that Anakin had an apprentice.
Overall: A little slow at the start, but it turned out just fine. Its juvenility was brief and it went on to become a great show.

That's it for now, I'll give more thoughts later and feel free to add your own. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

My thoughts on Season One....
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm not going into specifics so I'll just say that it was solid season one!!;; Sorry to cut tis short but it was hard day a lot of scout stuff done - it's bed time

Good Night

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote  

Good idea Reep, I haven't really sat down and looked at the season as a whole yet. I think I'll start by looking at each episode in review...from memory.

"Ambush": Ah yes, the Yoda episode. I liked this episode, the coral planet, the interaction with the clones and the droid combat. Altogether a good solid episode. 5/5

"Rising Malevolence"/"Shadow of Malevolence"/"Destroy Malevolence": The first story arc episode, and not too bad. We get to see Plo Koon and a 'super' ion canon, plus a Y-wing assault. 3/5

"Rookies": Probably the best episode of season 1. The close-up look of the clones was great. Oh, and commando droids! 5/5

"Downfall of a Droid"/"Duel of Droids": A focus on R2, but a little too much Anakin, however I did like the Trandoshan. Overall an okay story arc. 3/5

"Bombad Jedi": A Jar Jar episode...that was actually good. A nice surprise. 4/5

"Cloak of Darkness": The Ahsoka/Luminara episode. I thought this was a good one, Luminara got some face time and there were some good fight scenes with Ventress. 5/5

"Lair of General Grievous": A little darker scenery with Grievous' spooky lair, plus Kit Fisto and his apprentice and some fight scenes with Grievous, altogether made for a neat episode. 4/5

"Dooku Captured"/"Gungan General": Some good and some bad make these two an even mix on the okay side. 3/5

"Jedi Crash"/"Defenders of the Peace": I liked how Aayla Secura turned out and the fight scene over the sky world was awesome. Takei's Sep General was cool, and there were was some nice action in both episodes. 4/5

"Trespass": Definitely one of the stronger episodes. The Talz were really cool and the snow environment turned out really nice. Their was good tension to the story line and a descent focus on the clones. 5/5

"The Hidden Enemy": For a flashback episode, this one was pretty good. Their was a lot of dramatic tension with trying to find the clone traitor, and some descent action with Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting Ventress who was on top of her form. 4/5

"Blue Shadow Virus"/"Mystery of a Thousand Moons": These two were entertaining with a lot of fresh material. There's Jar Jar, Padme, a mad scientist, a virus, Iego, and a zombified looking Ahsoka. My real gripe is that they took the myth out of Iego and didn't play up on Anakin's mention of the Angels on Iego. 3/5

"Storm Over Ryloth"/"Innocents of Ryloth"/"Liberty On Ryloth": The preview of the Ryloth arc looked really awesome, but the episodes themselves fell a little short of the hype, mainly because the previews showed all the action. Of the three, I think Innocents of Ryloth was probably the best, as it seemed a little better than the other two. Mace's episode was so so, and the Ahsoka turmoil episode wasn't all that great either. 3/5

"Hostage Crisis": I was worried on this one. The previews of Cad Bane looked awesome, and I feared a repeat of the Ryloth Trilogy, especially with Ziro's return. However, they pulled it off and made perhaps the second best episode of the season. The Bounty Hunters were just pure awesome, and Cad was the best villain yet. I just hope they don't spoil in season 2. 5/5

So overall I'd say season 1 turned out pretty good for their first run at things. There were some really good episodes and some mediocre ones. The real test will be to see if season two steps it up a notch or whether it's more of the same. Of course as a Star Wars addict I can't complain too much, any Star Wars is better than none at all, but I do love it when they create top notch stuff like Rookies, Hostage Crisis, Ambush, and Trespass.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I thought it was good overall, but not great. I am into continuity, so when they play fast and loose with the continuity it does bug me. While I can understand the animation and it doesn't look terrible, it is C grade 3D animation and it tells when you focus on characters and not backgrounds. But, still a good first season, far better than the original clone War cartoon.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's interesting, Skuldren, because my FaVoUrItE episofe was Storm Over Ryloth. I just watched it last night. I really liked Ahsoka and Anakin in this one and the battles were interesting. One thing I like about TCW is that they show battles in detail, instead of just showing random chaos.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

You can find my final thoughts below. I was just going to copy and paste it, but there is some mild language, so I'll just link to it,

http://theahb.wordpress.com/2009/04/20/final-thoughts-minus-the-chair-throwing-and-general-skankitude/

I suck at hyperlinks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Weeelll, I'm starting over with the series. I never watched past episode 5, and I'm currently on episode 4. I must humble myself and admit that I like it sooooo much better this time around. The characters are actually somewhat endearing, and I have a feeling I'm going to love most of them by the time the series is out. Also, the way the shows are portrayed, I get more of a wartime feeling than I did with the movies or the books. It's like...more desperate, I guess you could say. And the droids aren't even bothering me as much as they used to. So...I'd have to say, based on all of the above and more, it's a good thing! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm glad you're liking it. If you're enamoured by the first four just wait until it gets going. Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well I wouldn't say enamored, but...yeah. Hopefully so. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay, okay. I just like using big words. Would 'enjoying' fit better?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote  

I can't say I've ever felt "enamored" by anything. That word is just a little too poetic.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 1