How did you first find out or get introduced into the EU?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
How did you first find out or get introduced into the EU?
 PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I always walked past the Star Wars books in the library, and i was like, oh these are just some stupid cheesy rip-offs of Star Wars. But one day, I saw this chick with a turqoise lightsaber and i was like HEY! this looks cool. so i was reading it, and I totally fell in love with it and finished it in one day!!!! I was intrigued that Luke got married, and that Han and Leia had kids... I never knew star wars continued past the movies!!! so it turns out the book was Tempest(i believe number 3 in LOTF) so i ruined the series for myself by accidentally reading the backcover of Inferno the next day. But yeah, Ive been obsessed ever since. How about you guys?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, so you're a young recruit! Well welcome to the club! It's a very nice club, I might add. Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So in answer to your question, I got into the EU through a friend of mine who gave me his copy of the Prince of the Jedi books. I was disappointed in those but then got into the Han Solo trilogy, loved him as a character, and have been hooked for the past decade or so Smile

And yay! You ARE a really new recruit Very Happy Its nice to know new fans are still appearing all the time Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote  

My mom had bought some books at a yard sale which included some Star Wars books. At the time, I loved the movies, but for some reason I thought the books would be silly or cheesy, and I never read them. So there they sat in my small library of books, unread, until one day I was perusing through my books, looking for something to read, and finally decided to give one a try.

That book was Timothy Zahn's Dark Force Rising. I consumed it. After I was done, I was an addict. I hurried to my book shelf and picked up the next one, The Last Command. Then I read the other two I had: Jedi Search, and Dark Apprentice.

At that point I had exhausted the few books that my mom had gotten for me at that yard sale. I was hooked. And to my dismay, there was a book missing from each trilogy I had just started. So that's where I began my collection. I bought them like crazy and read them just as fast. I've read just about all of them now, and eagerly await my next fix.

That's how I became a Star Wars junkie Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Actually, Skuldren, my story is almost exactly the same as yours. My mom mistakenly thought I was a Star Wars fan (I liked it, but I wasn't that interested in it), so she bought me The Courtship of Princess Leia for 50 cents at a garage sale. Half of the back cover was ripped off, and it was just in really terrible shape. I actually hid it under my seat in the car on the way home because I was afraid my dad wouldn't like the rancor on the cover. Smile

Anyway, when Mom gave it to me, I couldn't help thinking, "Thanks, Mom. But I don't like Star Wars that much." But I decided to give it a try anyway. And I don't know, but I've heard a lot of people didn't like that book. I, however, absolutely adored it. I read it three times, and it was just the best thing I had ever gotten my hands on. And now I needed more! I started with the list in the back of the book, which included like the 10 core Bantam books. After I'd read those, things just began escalating like crazy.

That was about 6-7 years ago. I've now read all the Star Wars books, and collect everything that could possible be SW. You should see my room...

So yep, that's my story! Very Happy

Oh, and as a side note, I also read Dark Force Rising first. My mom had bought that at a garage sale, too, and said I couldn't read it because she was selling it. So I went to the library and got it, but they didn't have Heir to the Empire. I was so confused! It didn't take long, though, before I got it all worked out. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh my god that is a great picture and qoute...I LOVE THAT TV SHOW!!! cant wait till the movie. Camerin rules. BTW thats a great story!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My first books were the Boba Fett, books, which I loved. I had a basic knowledge of post-RotJ books, but when I heard Chewie died, being much younger, it put me off. Years later, I thought LotF was the novelized form of the Legacy comics and I liked the idea of blasting forward 100 years. I still read them, once I saw what it really about, and liked them! I realized the need to kill characters to keep the story going and I started reading the books that took place prior to LotF. Here's the real shocker: as of right now I have not read the NJO, but I definately plan to once I get there. Wild, eh?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was hanging around the SW blogs (blogs.starwars.com) after RoS came out and someone reccommended Rise of the Dark Lord. I liked it so much I dove in and never looked back.

As a result I am all over the place on the timeline Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
Oh my god that is a great picture and qoute...I LOVE THAT TV SHOW!!! cant wait till the movie. Camerin rules. BTW thats a great story!!!

Thanks! Just put it together today. I'm a major Mando and Mara fan (obviously), so I was a little reluctant to get rid of my previous sig and quote, but I decided it was time for something new. Just for a little while, anyway. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote  

Does the game X-Wing count as EU (mind you I mean the original X-Wing)? That was really my first venture into anything outside of the movies. I believe the first real Star Wars novel I read was X-Wing: Rogue Squadron. At any rate that was the book series that really got me reading all the other Star Wars novels that now occupy at least one bookshelf.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Does the game X-Wing count as EU

I would think so. For me at least, I count everything thats not in the movies as EU (or if it was created before a certain movie or show but later put in)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

How about The Clone Wars, is that EU?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yup. I think anything outside the movies is. Even if its timeline corresponds with the movies...still EU. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Does the game X-Wing count as EU (mind you I mean the original X-Wing)? That was really my first venture into anything outside of the movies. I believe the first real Star Wars novel I read was X-Wing: Rogue Squadron. At any rate that was the book series that really got me reading all the other Star Wars novels that now occupy at least one bookshelf.

Haha yeah I remember playing X-Wing on my N64 Smile Good times, good times

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

You talking about X-Wing: Rogue Squadron, Caedus? Cause I think Salaris means the actual X-Wing game. The one that takes place in space, not in the atmosphere. I have it, and I was getting addicted to it there for awhile, but then my joystick broke. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 6