Computers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, a potential customer! Wink

Shipping...depends on where you live, but will average it at $15 for priority mail.

I could sell the computer through eBay, an auction just for you, so you'd be able to pay through PayPal. And also that way you could be sure that you wouldn't lose your money. Not that I'm going to take your money, I promise, but of course I understand the need to be sure when $200 is involved. Smile

If you would like to send a check, that's fine. But I'd have to let it clear before I could ship the computer. A money order would also be acceptable.

As for the freezing...it just depends. I honestly couldn't predict it. It could be every day, or not at all for several days. Sometimes it has a bad day and you just have to restart it to clear its brain. Other times it works beautifully for a week. It just has moods. I'm sure once I formatted it, though, that would certainly help. Somewhat, at least. Definitely wouldn't hurt it. The main time it freezes is when it's starting up. You press the power button, but then have to tap the casing to actually get it to boot. After that, you're generally good. The computer freezing while it's in use is much more rare than the freezing of the boot-up. That's why I think it's some sort of short. But then I don't really know much about the internal workings of computers. Not yet, anyway. Smile

So anyway, anymore questions, feel free to ask!

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

lol, going once....... going twice.........

I just got my computer like a year ago, so I am going to continue to use that for a while longer. Sorry Sad

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote  

Well I don't really need it, but I am a computer geek and I don't currently have a laptop, so if no one else is interested, I think I'm game. I buy stuff off of Ebay all the time so that would probably be the easiest way. Would you be able to accept paypal? Otherwise I could just send you a check and we could avoid ebay.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

*cheers* Yay! A customer! Okay, I sent you an email. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote  

Cool. I've got the check written out, and a stamp so I'll mail it today. Too bad the mail service doesn't work on Sundays. Confused

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Kay, your machine's all ready to go! And it's behaving very well...I'm rather proud of it. Smile

Oh, and I left a couple surprises on it. Hope you enjoy. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote  

So it seems my laptop is on its way out (whether it boots up or not is hit or miss). I've begun looking for a replacement laptop.

Looking at all the back to school savings I've come up with several laptop options. In terms of the specifications I want to make sure the hardware can run my old games (namely Battlefront I & II; Battlefield 2 and possibly TES III: Morrowind)

Sony VAIO EB Series (the appeal here is that it includes both Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat). http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921666174152&categoryId=8198552921644700000

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644699998

Intel Core I3-350M (2.26Hz) (standard chipset)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
(All laptops these days seem to have this so its not like I have much of a choice here. But just for my own information will this cause major problems with old games which I'm pretty sure were designed for 32 bit XP? Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't paid attention to the new Windows systems ever since the whole Vista debacle)

320GB hard drive (7200 RPM; I could downgrade to a 5400 RPM but how would that affect performance with photoshop and games?)

4GB DDR3-SDRAM-1066 memory

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (512MB VRAM) (It looks good to me but I've always used Nvidia graphics cards, so not sure if this is a good deal)

CD/DVD drive (no additional details listed, though it does say under "more info" that it can burn CD/DVDs)

15.5" Widescreen VAIO Display 1366x768 resolution

# Fast Ethernet (RJ-45) Protocol
# 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T (Gigabit)
# Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 (802.11a/b/g/n)5
# Integrated Stereo A2DP Bluetooth7® technology (2.1 + EDR)
# Intel® Wireless Display available
(not really familiar with any wireless stuff so is any of this good?)

HP dv6t http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do
(downside here is I'd have to put in additional money for photoshop and acrobat but it looks like I can get get both programs at a decent price so in the end it would cost roughly the same as the Sony)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Intel Core i3-350m (2.26 GHz 3MB L3 cahce) (Same as the Sony just more details provided?)

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (From what I can tell this is better than the Sony card so I really like it. It is also possible to get the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 512MB card for this computer. So my question is would the 5650 card be overkill and the cheaper 5470 is all that I need to play my games at good mid to high settings?)

500GB 7200RPM SARA hard drive (I really like this since they are giving it to you as a free upgrade from the 320GB 7200RPM hard drive)

SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with double layer support

15.6" screen with HD LED HP Brightview widescreen (1366x768) (so probably similar screen performance to the Sony?)

Intel wireless-N card
(not really familiar with any wireless stuff so is this good?)

Toshiba Satellite A660 (downside here is I'd have to put in additional money for photoshop and acrobat but it looks like I can get get both programs at a decent price so in the end it would cost a little bit more than the Sony)

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=484150

* Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor (2.26GHz) (same as other computers I think)

* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

* 4GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (2048MBx2)

* 320GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial-ATA) (upgrading to the 500GB 7200RPM hard drive isn't an option since it would balloon to be the most expensive laptop in which case I wouldn't buy it)

* NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT 330M with NVIDIA Optimus Technology with 1GB GDDR3 memory (being an Nvidia fan this seems great but again would this be serious overkill for my needs?).

* DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive (seems ok)

* Realtek® 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN (again (not really familiar with any wireless stuff so is this good?)

Dell Studio 15 (most expensive option without photoshop/acrobat so I don't think its too likely I'd get this)

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=2236&eep_orig_cs=2236&oc=ENCWBB3&link_number=22811824

Intel® Core™ i5-520M 2.40GHz (2.93Ghz Turbo Mode, 3M cache)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz

320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470, 1GB

HD DISPLAY 15.6” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera

Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6200

8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled

So thanks guys for any advice you can give me!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote  

I've gotten some advice from some other friends on the computer and they suggested the Sony. So right now I'm really leaning towards getting the Sony. I'll have to make the call as to which laptop I get no later than tomorrow since it'll be what I use at school so I can't really put it off too long.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Alright, Salaris, here's what I see from what you've picked. You've definitely got some great choices overall, so here're the pros and cons of each (in my opinion, of course):

Sony:
Excellent overall. I don't see any cons to this machine, though there are some things I see better on the others. But as a computer overall, this is a great choice. You've got a 7200 RPM for the hard drive, which you're definitely going to want. Don't downgrade to the 5400 RPM. You'll regret that, unless money there is really an option.

The bluetooth is another excellent feature, although you'll only really use it if you're big into making ringtones and such. It can be used for a gazillion other things, but that's generally the most popular use.

HP:
This one has some great features, and almost makes me want to lean toward it as the top machine you're looking at. But there are reasons I tend to shy away from it. Let me point out what's good about it, and then go back to why I might not go with it. Since it would be your choice in the end.

You're getting a better video card, and a bigger hard drive. Both very great improvements over the Sony. The thing about the video card that really catches my attention, though, is the 1GB memory. That's going to greatly improve your games over the 512MB memory. However, don't let that be a deciding factor, because the 512MB is still going to be a great card. Remember not to let single things tip the balance. Keep everything in perspective. You would just have, say, a harder time playing TFU on the PC than the 1GB would.

The thing you want to be careful with HPs is just that they tend to produce en masse. And, as such, they tend to produce low quality products overall. I've had an HP that I absolutely loved, but typically (and especially more recently), I find that their products aren't all that lovingly made. They have glaring errors like the touchpad or the keyboard, major components of a laptop, as you know. But...that's just my opinion. Wink

Toshiba:
I wouldn't really consider this one. While you're getting a better video card, you're getting a worse hard drive, which I, personally, would not want to do. Remember that all components of a computer feed off of each other. While you may have an awesome video card, having a slow hard drive is going to counteract that. Not always, but typically. The wireless card is also kind of cheapy.

Dell:
I wouldn't go with the Dell simply because I have a friend who has one (that model), and it doesn't seem worth it for the price. Seeing as how it's your most expensive option. It's a nice machine, definitely. But not necessarily for the price. I have the Dell Studio 14, and I love it to absolute death. But when comparing it to the price of the others, I would recommend against it simply for price. And it doesn't have anything component wise that greatly outshines the others that would compensate for the higher price tag.

Anyway, all that said, I would definitely choose between the Sony and the HP. Realize that you could get a better video card with the HP, and also a better hard drive, which would be a major selling point for me. Product wise...I've not always been happy with HPs. My sister actually has the HP dv6t, and while it's a nice computer overall, the touchpad and the keyboard are the most annoying thing on it. They will drive you absolutely insane. And...you're going to be dealing with those all the time. So that's the only reason I would step away from that one. Smile

Sounds like the Sony is your best bet, as your friends have wisely told you. Wink

But remember, take all of that into account, and be sure the final decision is your own. Smile

As for the Windows 7 64-bit. Yes, you are going to have problems with older games. For the most part, the Windows Compatibility Wizard will be your friend. It will make almost all games playable. But when you get majorly old, like Dark Forces old, you're not going to have any luck. In that case, turn to DosBox. It should be able to play all of those games for you happily. If/when you ever get there, just ask, and I'll be glad to answer any questions you have about it. Smile

Windows 7 is a learning curve over XP, but it's a great operating system. So no worries about that. You'll come to like it. Smile

Anyway, hope that helped at least somewhat, and happy hunting! Very Happy

Oh, and sorry I took so long to get back to you. I apologize. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote  

Thanks for the break down Mara!! That really helps put things in perspective! I think the 320GB hard drive of the Sony will do just fine for me (unless I've not looked in the right spot to find the system specs when I've right clicked on drive C to check the properties the computer I use for gaming only has 160GB hard drive of which I still have space so this would be a major upgrade).

No worries on the time, I was going to hold off freaking out until tomorrow. Wink Seriously, I appreciate that you got back to me so fast considering you've already started classes and have projects to do.

With the Windows 7 I just want to check that the Windows Compatibility Wizard is included in included in the Home Premium and not exclusive to the Professional Premium version.
EDIT: unless I've missed some fine print on the Windows website looks like the Home Premium version has it. So guess that answers that question

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

No problem! Glad to help. Smile

Ah, well if you currently have a 160GB hard drive and haven't used it up, than the 320GB is going to be a major improvement and certainly nothing to worry about. Personally, I just tend to fill up hard drives quickly. I currently have a 320GB internal hard drive, plus a 320GB external hard drive, and they're both full. The more space for me, the better. Wink

As for the Compatibility Wizard, yes, that's included with all versions of Windows 7, no worries. Definitely not exclusive to the Pro versions. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have a Compaq laptop, which is basically just a branch-off HP. I like it pretty well except for the reflective screen and the glossy back... Mad

But besides that, we've been getting Compaq computers for a long time and I love them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Like Mara I have known people that have issues with their HP. Mara also laid out the components basics really well. I have an old Sony laptop. My only complaint was it shipped with a lot of bloat-ware. I spent a fair amount of time removing it all - but that was several years ago now and this was a travel laptop and not for gaming.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote  

Thanks for all the feedback (especially you Mara for the most complete breakdown of the computers of the people I asked)! I've gone ahead and gotten the Sony, should arrive in the next two weeks or so. Really looking forward to it. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Am I the only Mac person on these forums? *ponders*

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 3 of 10