Star Wars Live Action TV Series Knowledge Center

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars Live Action TV Series Knowledge Center
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote  

In this thread I will try to keep you posted on all the news about the Star Wars Live Action TV Series. First off let's recap on what we know so far...

General Information:

The show's producer, Rick McCallum, has stated that they are hoping to shoot 400 episodes. If all goes well they'll keep on shooting for years to come.

The show will focus on minor characters rather than the Skywalkers or any major characters from the movies. There is a very good possibility that Quinlan Vos will play a role since Lucas specifically told his writers not to kill him off in the comics. The show will take place in between the 19 years after Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

Each episode will be an hour long and will be trying to impose spectacular effects on a modest budget. The plan is to eventually expand into several story lines each focusing on a different set of characters. Plus Lucas and McCallum have both said that the series will take on a "darker, grittier, more character-based" theme. They used Battlestar Galactica and Firefly as comparisons. Thus they're looking at more mature audiences.

So far they've had a handful of qraphic artists drawing up concepts for about six months. Between September and October they plan to choose their writers and by June 2008 they'll start casting. Sometime in 2009 we may see its debut, let us keep are finger crossed.

Update: September 3

The latest issue of Star Wars Insider had a great article with Rick McCallum. In it he gave an update on all of the Star Wars projects including The Clone Wars series, the 3D remakes of the Star Wars movies, and yes, the Live Action Show. More or less he mentioned the number of writers they looked through and chosen, plus where they plan on filming: Australia. He figure than in 2009 they would start shooting but as of yet they don't know where the series would be aired. Maybe network tv maybe not. It all depends on where the trends go. He also mentioned the possibility of the show splitting off eventually to the point that several different story arcs would be aired each following a different character. Alas we still have a long time to wait. Till then, I'll keep you posted.

Update: October 23

Sorry about the delay on updates but I haven't looked at theforce.net in a while and boy have they been posting Live Action news! Expect to see pod races, with emphasis on a podracer named Thall Joben from the Droids animated series, rebel bases, Star Destroyers, Imperials, Rebel General Durron (EU tie-in to Kyp Durron), General Papanoida (George Lucas' character from ROTS), Bib Fortuna, Oola (Twi'lek dancer), Death Star plans, etc. All courtesy of a link vis theforce.net to here. Of course at this point everything is rumors...

Update: October 29
Some rumors confirmed!

According to theforce.net Rick McCallum talked at Star Wars Reunion 2 (in France) about the new Live Action show. He confirms that Boba will be in the series, they want Daniel Logan to play the part, it will be on cable, and they are getting a contract for 100 episodes hoping to expand to 400 if all goes well.

Let us keep are fingers crossed...

Update: December 4
The recent edition of Star Wars Insider had some excerpts of an interview with George Lucas on the TV Live Action show which stated that he has begun work on it. The only thing new that hasn't been mentioned before is that Lucas said the show will be "taking chances" and joked that it might "focus on the life of robots."

Update: February
The latest edition of Star Wars Insider(#99) revealed some new stuff on the Live Action Series. Rick McCallum revealed in an interview that they have four artists and six writers working on the project right now. They hope to begin shooting by the end of 2008 or early 2009, but for now they're working on the storyline and scripts. He reemphasized that the stories will be character driven, dark, more adult, and much more dramatic. Plus Boba Fett will play an instrumental part in the series, as well as show casing other bounty hunters.

Source: Star Wars Insider #99

A director has been chosen!

Well that's the news. Jim Marquand has been selected by George Lucas to direct some of the episodes of the new Live Action Series in the works. Marquand's father was the director of Return of the Jedi. This article here: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-life-features/liverpool-arts/2008/02/28/jim-marquand-star-wars-memories-and-a-scouse-sense-of-humour-64375-20536913/ uncovers the story, and has some nice snipets from when he was 19 and on the Return of the Jedi set with his father. Upon reading about his previous film work, it ought to be rather interesting to see what he does.

Source: www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk

Update: March 11, 2008

A new article on the Star Wars Live Action series popped up on Collider.com. According to their article the new series could end up on HBO or Showtime. The outlook of the new series seems to be something like The Sopranos meets Deadwood, with possibly an emphasis on gangsters. That rating still seems to be gunning for PG-13 and relatively short seasons, maybe 12 episodes.

Of course all of this is still rumors so will just have to wait and see.

Source: http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp/aid/7242/tcid/1

Update: April 10, 2008

George Lucas has done an interview with Total Film magazine and has revealed some stuff about the Live Action series. For starters he stated that the series will take place during the 20 years that Luke is growing up. The content of the series will be heavy on dialog and drama with some action. He compared it to a soap opera.

millenniumfalcon.com has a partial transcript on their site and full scans of the pages, you can check them out here.

Source: millenniumfalcon.com

According to www.news.com.au, the music for the Live Action series will be recorded in Perth, Australia. Malcolm Luker and WA Philharmonic Orchestra will be tasked with the project. Lurker's previous work includes Shrek the Third, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Black Hawk Down and many, many others. An official announcement will be made in November.

Click here for the full article.

Source: www.news.com.au

Update: March 10

A recent MTV article reveals that Lucas is just now beginning to start casting for the Live Action show. You can read the full article here.

Article: EXCLUSIVE: ‘Star Wars’ Live-Action TV Series Casting Underway
Source: moviesblog.mtv.com

[Note: This thread is for informative purposes only. Please post comments in a TV Series discussion thread. Thank You.]

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:37 am; edited 7 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote  

Remember to post all comments here: http://www.eucantina.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote  

The live series seems to be in pre-production now, with 100 episodes as their production target. The news was released in this document (look at page 29).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote  

Lucas talks about shooting the new series in the Czech Republic if their government is willing to wheel and deal. Check out the full story here.

Source: www.screendaily.com
Article: George Lucas appeals for Czech filming incentives

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1