Randomt thought on life
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randomt thought on life
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ok, if life is about the pursuit of goodness, then why is human instinct to be disgusting and horrible towards one another. If God is the answer then why is religion the cause of war in the wolrd (the main cause anyway). If love is something to be desired then why are 79% of suicides attributed to love? If free speech is legal then why is there censorship? If the media is supposed to provide us with facts then why do they only report what is juicy and what causes more hatred. If we truly believe in tolerance then why do the intolerant suffer? Just wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote  

Well that kind of falls into the whole pursuit of goodness thing. We have and wallow in so much vileness, but we have hope to reach for something better. In my opinion the root of all evil is impatience. If you have enough patience, you'll avoid doing something bad. And nowadays, patience is a rare thing.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Re: Randomt thought on life
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Ok, if life is about the pursuit of goodness, then why is human instinct to be disgusting and horrible towards one another. If God is the answer then why is religion the cause of war in the wolrd (the main cause anyway). If love is something to be desired then why are 79% of suicides attributed to love? If free speech is legal then why is there censorship? If the media is supposed to provide us with facts then why do they only report what is juicy and what causes more hatred. If we truly believe in tolerance then why do the intolerant suffer? Just wondering.

Many people pursue good just for themselves and those they identify with, not universal goodness - which probably very small minority does seek in any kind of concentrated way throughout their lives; religion is largely an excuse for war, and religion can't really be a uniting thing as long as people everywhere don't believe in the same god and don't have any kind of doctrinal differences at all, which is impossible; there's always limits to free speech, something that isn't acceptable to society and it's individual members, it's just a question what kind of official censorship and self-censorship there is at any particular place and time, but there's always something, as society needs some kind of limits to function; facts can be boring and sell badly, and often people are just given what they want when they get espacism and sleaze, because reality just often isn't that nice to look at; intolerant tend to suffer because they are troubled beings, they are intolerant because they are in pain of some sort, being tolerant towards them just leaves them in that state. Those are my quick thoughts on these subjects.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote  

For a personal twist on the thought, my instant reaction to someone is completely open minded and kind. I try to be nice to people, and when I see people in need, I try to give and help out. Perhaps that's a product of my upbringing, as my mom is a very nice person and she sort of impressed those ideals upon me. You help out when you can. I can't speak for other people, I can only speculate. Perhaps it's all a matter of upbringing and environment. You grow up on the streets in a selfish atmosphere and you pretty much do as you please without thoughts to others' feelings, and there's also a general stigma of laziness thrown in to boot.

And as far as religious wars go, I think they merely try to cover up their real intentions with the higher ideal of a war for their god. In reality they just want power, land, and wealth for themselves. It doesn't matter what religion it is, just the guy who decides to stir them up and lead them.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Religious wars happen because there are religious groups that hate other religions or nations, and decide to take physical action on them. As a Christian, I believe in peace, and loving your neighbor. Most Muslims believe this, too, except there are very radical Islamists, who believe that they need to kill and destroy to please their god. These actions, unfortunately make every Muslim look bad, which is not true.

I hate war, but I do believe it is neccessary. Jesus Christ even said that war needs to happen as a consequence of man's sin.

On the love subject...

Love is a very powerful tool, because it digs deep into a person's heart. Which is why people should be careful, because love can be the source of happiness, or the source of sadness. 73% of all suicides are related to love because people take love the wrong way. Sometimes people have to put love to an abrupt end, making both of them sad. Some of those people are emotionally unstable and will resort to a gun in their mouth or a blade to their wrist.

Yes, bad things happen. Wars erupt, people die. There are almost 7 billion people on this planet, are you gonna be a person who dwells on the bad, or are you going to a person who enjoys the good? Those 2 options are going to play major factors on what your fate is in the long run...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote  

Jedi Joe wrote:
Religious wars happen because there are religious groups that hate other religions or nations, and decide to take physical action on them. As a Christian, I believe in peace, and loving your neighbor. Most Muslims believe this, too, except there are very radical Islamists, who believe that they need to kill and destroy to please their god. These actions, unfortunately make every Muslim look bad, which is not true.

Now this isn't meant to be taking a shot at you personally but I just have to point out here that Christians are just as guilty as having their fair share of extremists, some of whom are contemporary with today's Islamic extremists and has at least an equal number of atrocities. Again I don't meant to be taking a shot at you here personally however I think that not pointing out that Islam is not unique in having extremists would just help perpetuate the bad impression of Muslims in general.

If we do not speak up and acknowledge our own wrongs (both those perpetrated by our religion, whatever it may be, and our society as a whole. Even if they were done in the past long before we were born) and seek to make things right how can we expect others to act any different?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Now this isn't meant to be taking a shot at you personally but I just have to point out here that Christians are just as guilty as having their fair share of extremists, some of whom are contemporary with today's Islamic extremists and has at least an equal number of atrocities. Again I don't meant to be taking a shot at you here personally however I think that not pointing out that Islam is not unique in having extremists would just help perpetuate the bad impression of Muslims in general.

Of course, there are going to be radicals in every religion, in every job, in every section of life. There are radical atheists, radical lawyers, radical Christians, radical Muslims, radical salesmen...though some go to a higher degree of what kind of actions they take, you will always have an extreme form of everything. What you have to realize is that the extreme and normal are separate. A Muslim and a radical Muslim are not the same kind of person in the same kind of mindset with the same kind of morals. The same is true with a radical Christian and a normal one. So, yes, unfortunently the extreme has been made the picture of normal. That could be associated with the media mentioned earlier. They would rather show the worst, or most extreme version of everything. How entertained or interested would you be if they only showed a standard Christian? To be honest, you'd watch a normal life, going to work, raising kids, etc....not very interesting compared to the Christian who's screaming out windows that the world is going to end.

The argument is, does the media put out what they think the people want to hear, or what they want the people to hear?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree, I know of radical Christians. Take the protesters at Heath Ledger's funeral for example, Christians were holding up signs saying "God hates fags!" and "Go to hell, Heath!", all because he played in the movie "Brokeback Mountain". I don't believe gays should marry, but I don't believe that God hates gays, or that Christians should judge Heath like that.

There are radicals to everything, as OMB just said.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I believe the media puts out what they want you to hear. Kinda like Michael Moore, but they report facts, just not all of em, they don't just make it up like he does.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like the guy's movies... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rouge77 wrote:
I like the guy's movies... Smile

Eh, I don't like how he presenst idea as fact with nothing to back it up. He's gotten in a lot of trouble for that. For every single one of his films he's gotten in trouble for it to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yea, Al Gore and Michael Moore are probably some of the biggest idiots in the political business.

One guy is calling our military evil scumbags, and another is saying that humans in general are evil scumbags for polluting our environment (Which we aren't doing). Is there anything better they can do besides talk out of their rear end in idealogical movies? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
Yea, Al Gore and Michael Moore are probably some of the biggest idiots in the political business.

Actually they are geniuses. They can present an idea full of contridictions, lies, and bias and people will blindly follow them. Its the followers who are idiots, not them. They may be liars and hypocrites, but brilliant all the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Autobon wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

Actually they are geniuses. They can present an idea full of contridictions, lies, and bias and people will blindly follow them. Its the followers who are idiots, not them. They may be liars and hypocrites, but brilliant all the same.

Michael Moore is indeed a genius, but I think Gore is a pawn in someone else's game. The Pro-Global Warming crowd has long been exposed as a scam and evidence provided (a deep freeze from heat, come on...) but they've paid enough that we can only hear what they want us to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe, I agree with all your earlier statements about love and war. Now aboutGlobal Warmin (Al Gore aside), the way I see it even if we aren't causing global calamity (which I don't think is such a long shot), it shouldn't give us an excuse to do things ala WALL-E.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 14