Why do you love Star Wars so much?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Why do you love Star Wars so much?
 PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just wondering why we all like Star Wars so much. Why do we spend our hard earned money on SW books, figures, comics, legos, and video games? What makes us keep coming back to this site to post and check for new posts? What keeps us us so intrigued that we keep reading the books? Why do we continously watch the movies? Why do we always come back for more, even when something previous sucked? Why do we give so many SW things a chance? Why do we defend Mark Hamil even when he's a bad actor? WHY DO WE LIKE STAR WARS SO MUCH?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quite honestly it was just so much fun when I was a kid and now I've kinda had characters grow on me and its just fun Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was introduced to Star Wars by my dad at 5 years old, and ever since, I have been a major fan of the movies.

Man, I was crazy back then. I would watch the Star Wars VHS' almost every when I was little, and I would tell my mom "Mommy, look! Luke is fighting Darth Vader!"

And I got him the Episode I VHS for fathers day once, and when he opened it, I said "Daddy, can we watch it now?", so we watched it, and I almost cried when Quiggy got killed by Maul. And I would ask my dad throughout the film, "Where's Darth Vader as a kid?", and he would say, "Joey, he was Anakin Skywalker before he was Darth Vader."

By 2002, my dad came up to me and said, "Joe, you want to go see Star Wars Episode 2?", and I was like "Yeah!", but then my mom was against it, so I had to wait for the stinkin' VHS, but when I did see it on VHS, I thought it was great like the other movies.

But finally, 3 years later, as a late 11-year old, I got to go see Star Wars: Episode III, and it is by far the best movie I have ever seen in the movie theater.

So yeah, I basically was a fanboy at the start... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote  

Why do I like Star Wars? Because Episodes IV, V, and VI were great movies. It had action, humor, space guns, space ships, aliens, everything a child would love. My first Star Wars books were the guides because I wanted to know more about the Star Wars characters and aliens. It took quite a few years before I ever plunged into the novels. And that was just a deeper love affair with the characters, aliens, and tech.

And since I like to read and write about Star Wars, what better place than the EU Cantina. Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Because it's awesome, why else? Wink
Seriously though it's hard to pinpoint a solid reason for why I like it so much. I can think of a lot of little reasons, but not a big interconnecting one.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well...I would say it's kind of hard to pinpoint a reason. One reason I can think of though is that it's an escape from the real world. Which is one reason I don't enjoy Star Trek. It's still based on Earth, simply in the future. Star Wars, however, is completely distanced from our world in every way. So whenever I need to get away and enjoy something, there's Star Wars! It's just one book or movie away. Smile

Another reason is because I simply love it. It's hard to explain, of course, but that's just the way it is. I can't ever remember not watching Star Wars, but I do remember not enjoying it at one time. Then my interest slowly began to grow (but only slowly, and I don't even know why). My mom, though, thought I loved it. So she bought me The Courtship of Princess Leia from a garage sale for 25 cents. The back cover was ripped off, and it looked well loved. I couldn't figure out why she bought it for me, but I said thanks. I read it just for the fun of it...and the rest is history. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
but I do remember not enjoying it at one time. Then my interest slowly began to grow (but only slowly, and I don't even know why

Exactly with me, too! My brothers would always be watching the movies, and I was like, "Ugh...Star Wars again?" (I was 12 years old btw) And then one day, cleaning out my drawers, I came across my only 2 star wars figures: Mace Windu and Darth Vader. Something just clicked then, and like Mara said, i began to get more interested, and i didn't even know why! Luckily, my family (well my mom...my dad is a trekkie) knew alot about Star Wars so I could get my fill of it every day. Then my interest waned for a while, until I was 15 and came across Tempest at the Library... Now at 16 I am totally loving Star Wars and can't remember life without it! I love Star Wars because it is just so fun. The characters are intriguing, the story lines are cool, and I love finding out more and more about characters. It's serious, but fun at the same time. And like most people said...it is hard to explain...Star Wars is just epic adventure that is great to watch, read, and collect.
...Gotta add a quick shout out to this site, while I'm explaining why i like SW...This is by far the best EU community website EVER. Great info to get started, great news, podcasts, everything. And the forums are absoulutely AMAZING! I like it because it is a small community, and people know their stuff. So, just saying thanks for being here. You guys don't even know how lonely (EU wise) i was before i found this site...none of my friends like Star Wars... Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well, my love affair with the galaxy far, far away started when I saw Star Wars on TV one night. I liked it first as a movie because of all the action, and then Han Solo shot Greedo (yeah, it happened, I saw it! Very Happy ) and I thought, "Hey, he shot that alien dude just to get away! COOL!", and Han Solo became my new favotite character, replacing Clint Eastwood's unnamed one in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. And then came the toys, as a 7 or 8 year old, who can resist the Millenium Falcon, even with a stupid handle attached to the bottom? So, yes, the merchandising pulled me in, the toys, the story books, the coloring books(those may not have been liscensed), the comic books, they all pulled me in.
I do have to agree with Mara Jade, it is an excellent form of escape from the things that life throws at you. I also think that Sword of The Jedi has an excellent point, even when it sucks, it still brings us back for more. Perhaps it's that eternal struggle between good and evil, such a central part of human culture that brings us back. And besides, everyone needs a little fantasy, to combat the ugliness of life around us, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I guess I can't argue with being a good reason. I remember once I read an article about the phrase 'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...' . It was about how long ago and how far and I though, "Who cares?! As long as it's not here and not now!"

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Exactly, Reep, exactly. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can't give all that sensible answer. Through the years my interest has come and gone, but I have so far always returned to Star Wars. I think I just like the movies too much (well, minus TPM) and just want more, and that means Expanded Universe. Character killings etc drive me away, but after some time, seeing the movies again I come back to Expanded Universe. Sort of mild addiction.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1