What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote  

Thought I'd open up this forum for those of us reading books beyond the realm of Star Wars.

Currently I'm reading Stephen King's The Eyes of the Dragon. A medieval fantasy tale that so far is very enjoyable. With Kings, dragons, wizards, and intrigue, I'd say the plot is pretty well rounded as most medieval fantasy stories go. I'll post a full review when I'm done.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, I'm reading Running Out of Time while I'm reading Revelation. Also just finished the Shadow Children series. It was pretty good. Am about to start Flags of our Fathers.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm actually reading Duma Key by Stephen King, which is really, really good so far. :D

[ wtfNET // livejournal // twitter: @hexterah ]
[ the outlander club -- EU costuming! ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just finished Illium, by Dan Simmons, and am picking up Olympos, the second part of the story. Great story and really engaging plot.

@ Darth Skuldren, couldn't resist a Stephen King book, could ya? Hope you liked it as much as i did. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote  

Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

Well I finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. The narrative is quite different from his other stories in that it's told from the prospective of a bard or storyteller. Great read with enjoyable characters and intriguing plots. Plus it provided some backstory in a roundabout way for Flagg who showed up in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. He makes a good villain.

Overall rating, I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm re-reading the Narnia chronicles (big surprise, I know).

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon - only about 20 pages in, so far its a downer. So I switched over to the X-Wing Series - Iron Fist. I'll get back to More Than Human when the snap rolls make me queezy. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

@ Darth Skuldren

If you liked the Dark Tower series, Stephen King and Peter Straub's The Talisman won't disappoint; and the sequel The Black House is pretty good too. It has some of the same themes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote  

I'll have to look for these. Sounds intriguing...

For now I'm fully content with Black Hawk Down. Easily ten times better than the movie. It would be nearly impossible to capture all the details of the novel into a film. Very solid, action packed read.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote  

I've been reading The Bridge Over the River Kwai. So far its very interesting, although it portrays the Japanese as backwards and inferior to Western culture and specifically the British. That doesn't really surprise me though since it was written in the 1950s so it makes sense that the negative/racist views of the Japanese that existed during WWII would still be around.

Overall though its a good book. If you've seen the movie The Bridge Over the River Kwai with Alec Guinness its probably worth reading to see how the book compares with the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

besides my daily dose of death note (so many D XD) i'm reading great expectations by charles dickens. the stuff we usually have to read in school is so lame, like the outsiders XP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm reading Chasing Destiny. o:
It's a good book. I guess. Not really action packed or fantasy, but more of the "Real Life" kind of books.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm still reading The Last Days of Krypton. It's a good book I just haven't had time to read it. But it's by Kevin J. Anderson so I'm trying to get it read because I enjoy his stories.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote  

I'm reading Panzer Operations, it's a memoir of a German general on the Eastern front in WWII. Just started it so I don't know how good it's going to be. I found Guderain and Manstein's memoirs rather dry.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm reading lots of history books currently, but they are not for fun, so I think I just mention two Terry Pratchett books I am reading again: "Feet of Clay" and "Jingo". He's one of my favourite fantasy authors and I wish him good luck in his fight against his illness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 106