You Choose 08'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
However based on your clarifying statement I'm now not sure if you're just taking a shot at NY news and I got caught in the line of fire. So I just want to clear up what you are exactly getting at.

Exactly; I can tell you're a very informed, open-minded citizen-- Thomas Jefferson would be proud. I happen to believe that an informed citizen is the best citizen.

Quote:
I'm wondering though if we replaced our current welfare system with a modern version of the CCC would you be fine with that? I personally don't like our current welfare system either but don't see just doing away with it as a good solution either so I support bringing back the CCC to replace our current welfare system. That way people don't just get freebies and the tax payers' dollars are used for a purpose that benefits everyone.

See, here's the problem: Like you I really, really don't like our welfare system right now. But like you said, at this time a solution is A. hard to see and B. hard to implement. If I remember correctly, and I may not, didn't Bush prose a change to welfare and social security awhile back? I don't think it ever stuck though.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote  

Son Of Skywalker wrote:

Exactly; I can tell you're a very informed, open-minded citizen-- Thomas Jefferson would be proud. I happen to believe that an informed citizen is the best citizen.

Thanks for the complement.

Quote:

See, here's the problem: Like you I really, really don't like our welfare system right now. But like you said, at this time a solution is A. hard to see and B. hard to implement. If I remember correctly, and I may not, didn't Bush prose a change to welfare and social security awhile back? I don't think it ever stuck though.

As far as social security goes I know there was a plan to basically privatise it and put it in the stock market. All things considered I think it is good that the social security reform didn't happen as we would likely have some very angry people after the stock market went south, and that is probably the last thing we need right now.

As for welfare change? I don't recall if there was any, it wouldn't surprise me though if there was one proposed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote  

Alright, so I've been watching the news lately, and it seems like a fair time to bring back discussion on our president. There was the big stimulus he passed, which most people seem to agree on, failed. There's his take over of the banks and automotive companies which may have been big mistakes or at least moves in the wrong direction. There's his big attempt to get a health care bill passed which will have the government provide an alternative health care option for everyone, and could be seen as the first step toward universal health care. And then there's the Czars.

I'm going to start off with the Czars because they bug me. No. It's a bit more than that. I seriously dislike them. There existence seems unlawful. I mean, the President just picks them and no one regulates them. Sure, I bet Congress could, but they're a bit lazy and preoccupied. I heard on the news the other day that there are now more Czars than presidents. That means we're over 44 now. Forty four. Why on earth does the President need forty four czars? No one else ever needed that many. Is the President saying he can't handle all the things he wants to do? Is he trying to do too much? Is he really trying to create his own underlying governmental structure?

Now I've heard some people say that these czars don't have any real power. A few people have related them to advisers. But advisers give advice to the President, who in turn takes action. These Czars take action on their own. And they do have power. The Car Czar gets to choose which GM dealerships get shutdown. Boom, just like that, and you're out of a job and a business because some unregulated official selected by the President decided you needed to go. Is this guy qualified to make such decisions? Who knows.

Worse yet, many of these czars seem to be radicals and old friends of the President. And the positions they are getting are eerily similar to what you would expect in a totalitarian regime. I mean, we have an Information Czar. What's his job for? Certainly not to increase the amount of information the public gets, but to limit the amount, to regulate it. Of course it's for our own good. For the betterment of the country. So they would say.

I don't buy it. The whole things stinks and the answers don't make sense. I just hope it doesn't end up being as bad as it could.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Half of that I didn't even get, so I'm not even going to try. Laughing

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

All I'll say is that I'm worried about where all this is going...I have been from the beginning, though I don't like to complain about it. Complaining isn't going to change who's in office, but still...what are we able to do to change what's going on? I feel helpless, but there's got to be something...Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wait four years and then vote for someone else? Confused

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:19 am Reply with quote  

Hey Reep, you're from Canada, maybe you can give us an outsider's perspective. Have you heard of the "Czars"? Recently US President Obama has been picking these government officials, labeled Czars, who have authority over different fields. There's a Science Czar, Car Czar, etc. In the past there's been Drug Czars and such.

Also, what are your opinions on Canada's health care program? Is there long wait lines and such?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh boy. I am the last person you want to give the gist of Canadian politics. Laughing Personally I have never heard of the Czars, but again, polotics confuse and don't really interest me. So I'm sure it is well known over here- just not by me. As far as health... I don't know, I haven't gone to a clinic or anything in a while. Last time, when I had a dog bite, and I went to a clinic, it didn't take too long especially considering I definately didn't have priority. So no complaints from me.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I say we should assault the White House with rubber chickens and pom-poms.

Seriously, I do NOT want to see this socialized healthcare make it to the U.S. As much horror stories you hear from Canada and Europe, it is a no-brainer that it will not work here.

Listen to this, Mr. President, never fix what isn't broken. Oh wait, I think it's too late for that statement. I think we lost you after you spent trillions of dollars to try to get us out of debt. Yea, I liked Bush better...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm not saying that either one (Bush or Obama) did good stuff for our country, but Bush was always good for a laugh when he talked. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And he dodged a SHOE! Did you see those lightning fast reflexes? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Jedi reflexes, if you ask me. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sith, if you ask me. Twisted Evil

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I loved how his bodyguards were so slow to react. I mean, what if that could've been a bomb or something?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 20 of 20