Star Wars blog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars blog
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I am starting a new blog as well, it's a Star Wars one. Basically I have decided to go back and reread every SW novel, comic, book, young readers book, short story, as well as play every canonical video game and watch every movie/TV show/special I can get my hands on and write short reviews of them. I haven't created it yet, but I'm hoping to get the first review up by the end of the month. It will take me years to get this done especially since I can only ever see myself posting four or five reviews in a given month, and even that is stretching it. Link will follow, at some point.

A few things that I've been tossing around in my head that I could use some input on?

--A title, I haven't really thought of one yet. I was considering something more Expanded Universe oriented, like The Domain Of Nihilus or The Blue In Chiss. But, outside of those two I'm drawing blanks and I also don't know if choosing a title like that means people will get what the site is about, maybe I should go with something easier to identify, like Star Wars Deciphered, for instance.

--As far as comic book runs go, I'm debating whether to do single issue reviews, or to do chunks of a series' run. For instance instead of reviewing every issue of Star Wars: Legacy, I would review story arcs, so five or six issues at a time. Or in the case of a mini-series, instead of single issues I would review the entire mini-series in one shot.

Any input on these matters would be appreciated.

I just wanted to post this here to get some thoughts from actual SW fans on a few of the questions I am having about the blog. Don't worry, I don't plan on posting link after link to the blog, it's a pure fan project, and I don't intend to pimp it at all. If people come by and see it, they see it. Outside of providing an initial link when I create the blog I have no intention at all of clogging up the forums with links to reviews, but I did want to try and see if I could get a little bit of input in some areas. As I said, any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Sounds great, Bill! As for the comic book reviews, I would recommend doing reviews in chunks, unless there's a significant something or other you'd like to focus on in a single issue. Otherwise I'd just do like a set at a time, instead of every issue. That would probably be easier on you, anyway. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

That's what I ended up figuring, having you and a few others tell me the same thing spurred me on in the right direction. Very Happy

I also decided on a name, I wanted to make it more EU related since I will be massively covering the EU,

The Domain Of Nihilus
http://warstars.wordpress.com/

There's nothing up there now outside of a few basic facts about what the site will be, but anyone who is interested periodically check as the reviews will start coming sometime later this month and then sporadically after that. I'm starting with Darth Bane: The Path Of Destruction.

P.S.: Sorry for the haste, I know I asked for input and then went ahead before I received input, but when i get into a project I have the tendency to do that. Smile

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rockin Name Bill! I look forward to reading your thoughts Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
Rockin Name Bill! I look forward to reading your thoughts Smile

Good to hear. Very Happy

I decided to add a timeline to my site. It's also going to double as a checklist, when I review something I'll make it's entry a different color shade, or something like that. I made sure to give a shout out to EUCantina.Net, as well as TheForce.Net, as your two timelines are my main force of information. But, as I said at my blog I am more than likely to miss things or mess up some date or entry. So, if any of you here read over what I have so far and see any mistakes, let me know, your help would be appreciated. Once again, the site is, http://warstars.wordpress.com/.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

It took me a while, and it wouldn't have gotten off the ground without The Star Wars Timeline Gold by Nathan Butler, but I finally finished the Timeline Checklist at the blog. With that I look forward to getting the first review up sometime this week.

The Domain Of Nihilus
http://warstars.wordpress.com/

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

This will be my final post schilling the new blog, I promise, but I posted my first review and wanted to let people know it is up and running. Like I said, don't expect a slew of reviews, but they will come, over time, so if you ever feel like it check in and see what's been posted.

Darth Bane: Path Of Destruction
http://warstars.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/an-darth-bane-path-of-destruction/

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's a very well written review. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote  

Nice review of Path of Destruction Bill Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Thanks to you both for your kind words. I've written most of my life, and do take pride in my writing, even if i never expect anyone to read it. Embarassed But, it's always nice to hear positive feedback, so once again, thanks.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, very nice! I've just posted a comment, but will go ahead and say it again here: I'm very glad you opted not to provide the summarized plot. It's one thing that has always bugged me about reviews. If you're going to read a review, then you should have already read the book! So yeah, very nice job! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Yes, very nice! I've just posted a comment, but will go ahead and say it again here: I'm very glad you opted not to provide the summarized plot. It's one thing that has always bugged me about reviews. If you're going to read a review, then you should have already read the book! So yeah, very nice job! Smile

I posted a reply comment s well, but in similar fashion, I agree. I'm not big on plot summaries, never have been. As a reader I get bugged when they appear because I have to take the time to skip over them, and as a writer I can't stand them because they come across as tedious and dry beyond belief, at least when I write them that is. If other people like them or don't mind writing them that's cool, but they aren't for me.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Blog is still going strong, I've posted quite a lot of new content, so if you get the chance check it out through one of the links in this topic.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works

Page 1 of 1