Karen Traviss Quits!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen Traviss Quits!
 PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The story is on the main page. I will remain as civil as I can, but it is hard. I find it funny that she quits because someone has changed her continuity. This is funny because it's the same thing she has done to other peoples work, but I guess in her world continuity can be altered all to hell as long as it isn't her continuity.

I won't miss her, she had the occasional spells of good work. But, on the whole she had a heavy handed style that I couldn't jive with. Maybe this will mean we get some honest Mandalorians in the novels, instead of her god like can do no wrong Mandos.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

Last edited by Bill Thompson on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Everyone's continuity is getting trampled by TCW; this is the one time I'm happy about it. I won't miss her, nor shed a tear.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't like it when Traviss herself rewrote existing contuinuity and I don't like her anti-Jedi, pro-Mandalorian bias, but because of the first reason I can't see this as a good thing. I like TCW, but I like respect for existing continuity even more.

Last edited by Rouge77 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This is an incredibly touchy subject. We'd like all fans to say their piece, but if anyone goes out of lines (you know what that is by now) the person will be banned and this thread locked. Just advanced warning.

Please, continue civilly as before.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can't believe it. I had finally just decided as her being my favorite SW author 2 days ago. I thought her Republic Commando books were amazing, and i think she wrote the best LOTF novels. i loved her style of writing, and i always appreciated her different views on the Jedi and on the inside look at clones. I am very dissapointed and sad that i will not get to enjoy her books any more.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I was also a major fan of Traviss, and will be very sad to see her go. I know she's rewritten continuity before, and while I don't totally agree with that and her one-track mindedness toward the Mandos (though I love the Mandos with all my heart), I'm extrememly disappointed. She gave us plenty of great books, though, and at least she had a wonderful run, in my opinion. I'm sure we'll lose plenty of authors over the years, and I guess this is the first of many (if there were others, I simply overlooked them). So in point, thanks Traviss! I enjoyed what you contributed to the Star Wars Universe. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Wait.....
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

........ Karen Traviss just quit Star Wars due to issues. If that means there will be some major ret-conning going on and Kal's clones are affected . . . . . . . WHAT HAPPENS TO ME????? I was part of that universe. What if they decide to have Kal, Scorch, Fi, Atin, Ordo and all the others ret-con under the Empire??/ I don't want to go!!! I like being freelance and living on Mandalore with my sons.

WHAAAAAAAAAA <sniff> It's just not fair, it's not, it's not' it's not. My year had not been that great and now my really cool against the grain character maybe wiped out of the universe!!

Say it ain't so <sniff> I have a podcast to finish editing. Like I said, it's been a year.

Signed
Your Uncle Kal (but for how much longer???) <sniff> Sad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Aw, poor Kal. *pats shoulder sympathetically* We're all there for you. Let's just wait and see what happens.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm gonna miss Traviss. I liked her stuff (the books of hers in SW that I read, I'll be getting the others & reading them too. ie. more Republic Commando books since I think I'm missing some) I liked her LotF books. I wish she could continue writing Fett books. It seems to me that witting Fett is one of the things she does best, & is what we know her for really....

I have an idea for you Mrs Traviss! Maybe you could writing about the Mandos as they were prior to the Clone Wars. Then you wouldn't have the continuity problems! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
I have an idea for you Mrs Traviss! Maybe you could writing about the Mandos as they were prior to the Clone Wars. Then you wouldn't have the continuity problems! Very Happy

As long as she continues to write over the continuity established by other writers she will always have continuity problems.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

But it's not helped by Filoni and crew crushing her stuff already green lite by Lucasfilm Wink

Where, exactly, did she step on another author's continuity? I don't recall her novels doing this, but I haven't read the last RC novel.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Son Of Skywalker wrote:
But it's not helped by Filoni and crew crushing her stuff already green lite by Lucasfilm Wink

Where, exactly, did she step on another author's continuity? I don't recall her novels doing this, but I haven't read the last RC novel.

She changed the the previously existing character Spar, Mandalore the Resurrector, from an independent operator to a mere figurehead and tool for others.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Son Of Skywalker wrote:

To be honest I put that at the feet of Lucas, but I'm not about to open that bag as my thoughts on Lucas and canon are very much in the minority.

But, the only reason I brought it up is that Traviss and her fans shouldn't be crying about her continuity being written over when she has already done the same to other winters continuity. Writing over continuity is never good, but in this case I have no sympathy for KT.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh. Shoot. Sad
My first reaction was that it was an April Fool's joke, it has to be. It has to be. Then I realized it was August....
I'm not sure if it is The Clone Wars that has caused this, but if so, I can say, for the first time I am mad at it. Up till now every continuity problem that came with TCW, I didn't really mind. I mean the timeline in that era was already a mess befor TCW, but now I don't know. I'm not sure what all is affected (only the future novels or also the pre-exsisting ones) or exactly what the continuity issue is, so I can't really give my thoughts untill I know more. The worst part right now is that the Boba Fett novel (which, by the way, was the thing I was looking forward to the most of any Star Wars products) and we'll never know what could have been.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Bill Thompson wrote:
[
Writing over continuity is never good, but in this case I have no sympathy for KT.

Except for the fact that Traviss really worked hard on a specific era and a certain group of characters (mandos, CLONES), and to have TCW just disregard is not very proffesional.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 7