Karen Traviss Quits!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote  

How so Reep? Certainly Mace and Yoda were against the Clone Army, though there probably were a few Jedi who did agree with the idea. And as far as I can remember, Traviss only condemned them for breaking down and accepting it. Because the Jedi did indeed accept the Clone Army and used it for what it was worth in order to stop the Separatists.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Though I do not understand how in the SW universe>>using clones is morally wrong>>Robots Who Hav An Amazing AI....Then Give that Robot flesh and bones.... Very Happy ....and,,,err yea...the heart. Basically Any Clone that cud actually decide for its own the crucial difference b/w right and wrong...was an EPIC FAIL.
And Order66 was pretty much the focal point wher the clones shudve recognized RIGHT...FROM WRONG....Humans wudve realised it Very Happy

Lets Skip that....
Perhaps...Clones were a neccessary evil Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wonder if the Jedi really had a choice. While the Republic didn't have control over the Jedi, it was crucial to its survival, but I can understand that it still wouldn't make it right.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote  

I think the only thing the Jedi could have done was abandon the Republic then come back once the mess was over, or at least revealed.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Omg...DS that wud be like abandoning Confused How Uncool is that??
The Jedi Shud Reaaaly Be in The Thick of it...The Thought of Jedis going away to meditate is just sooo lame!!!....No Wonder ppl think Sith are cooler=D...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I think I may have just found a bit of news! Unless everybody's already read this. I've been wondering what exactly it was that Traviss was upset about. Apparently this is it:

The Art of the Clone Wars book was brought to her attention which showed that the planet Mandalore, established as far back as the 80's in the pages of Star Wars Marvel comics, brought back into focus with Abel Pena's "History of the Mandalorians" article in the Insider #80, and then again in Traviss' Republic Commando series and Legacy of the Force books. Mandalore is an agricultural planet with its capitol at Keldabe, a city built inside the massive skeletons of giant dinosaur-like beings that once roamed the planet. Looking into it, Traviss discovered that in the upcoming Season Two of the Clone Wars animated series, Lucas is apparently eradicating the established history and geography of that planet, and making into an uninhabitable world with only one habitable area called Cube City in which the Mandalorians live. There may be other issues as well, but this is a big enough one, as it renders her series and quite a number of other books and comics invalid. Traviss considered completely rebooting her series, but in the end decided it wasn't worth it, and that it was time to move on.

So doesn't this mean that it's not necessarily violating continuity that Karen created, but continuity from even before that? How did Pena describe it? I've never read his work. So it would seem that Lucas is trampling quite a bit of pre-established continuity here. And look, I just found this picture to back up what the above article was saying. This was taken from the Star Wars Spectacular this year:

Terrible, isn't it? I can see why Traviss would be upset. Her entire sanctuary for the deserters has been whisked out of existence! That completely ruins what the entire Republic Commando story arc was leading up to, and I'm sure what was going to be continued in Imperial Commando. And doesn't that even mess up Revelation? I can't remember what exactly was described of Mandalore in there, but it certainly wasn't Cube City on an otherwise uninhabitable world. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cube City? Thats dumb.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Isn't it, though? Can't you just imagine a bunch of Mandalorians living in "Cube City"? Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Im actually feeling sorry for the Mando lovers Smile
haha @ cube city...perhaps it wont be as bad as it sounds???

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

WHAT?!?!
That's just silly! Mad So does this mean that all Mando stuff is irrelevant now? This is a lot worse than I imagined. As far as I can tell Traviss' is beyond salvaging, unless of course something cataclysmic happened to Mnadalore and suddenly it was inhabitibal. Rolling Eyes

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

THIS is the reason why I count the Clone Wars Series as a totally different continuity. Although I do like the idea of an uninhabitable planet, I wish they would be original and not use an already-canon planet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

If all this is true, which I have a feeling it is, what with the picture and everything, I feel really sorry for Traviss. And us, the fans. This is, I believe, the biggest display of disregard for an extrememly well established section of continuity that Lucas or whoever's in charge has so far come up with. The problem with simply writing off the Clone Wars as a different continuity is that they're not going to return to what we knew before. No more will be written about the Mandalore we knew and loved, no more can be written about Kal Skirata and the Clones unless the entire story is revamped. No, they're going to stick to what they've come up with now until they decide to change it again! And that makes me mad. Evil or Very Mad

You know, I wrote Karen Traviss about the whole thing, and she wrote me back! I didn't really think she'd be taking the time to answer fans, especially now that she's quitting, since I figured she'd probably be getting a ton of mail. But nope, she answered me within an hour. And her answer applied to what I had said, so it wasn't just generic. She read what I wrote. I was...impressed. And happy. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Cube City? WTF? That's dumb... I like the Mando's as they are. Why do they have to change them?

It's really cool that you got an answer from Karen!! I wish some of the authors I'd written had taken the time to answer. Usually if I get an answer, it's obviously one of those pre-fabricated "thanks for contacting me..." deals that is automatically sent. I hope you didn't delete the email! I'd print out it & also save it to my computer and to a USB.... (that way if your computer crashes or something you have a copy of it).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote  

The Mando home world just became about as exciting as that Rakatan prison box from KOTOR. In fact I think the prison box was more interesting. A giant bloody cube though? What the devil are they trying to do? Combine the Borg with Hoth?

Back to Traviss though. I take it Imperial Commando is not going to be published. Or is that going to be her final book?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

My understanding is that Imperial Commando (of which there will be 2 separate novels) will be her last book. There were plans for a new Fett novel, but when she quit it got scrapped.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 5 of 7