Luke Skywalker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Luke has always been my favorite character in the movie saga, but I really started to despise him during the Bantam years. He was so wise and all-powerful that it was ridiculous. But, the NJO really turned things around and now Luke's one of my favorites again. I do miss the old Episode 4 "farmboy" Luke at times, though. I suppose even book characters must grow up. Unless we're talking about Peter Pan. Which would be weird on a Star Wars forum. *coughs* Sorry, I digress........ Very Happy

And. yes, that picture of Luke was a bit young, but I prefer it over the Shadows of Mindor cover. It's not a bad cover, it's just that they apparently forgot that Luke was supposed to be about 24 or so. *shrugs*

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It did say that Luke looked a lot older than he was, because of what happened at Mindor. Luke has always been my favourite of the big three, as well.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What would you guys think if Luke really did go to the darkside? I mean, judging by the cover of Backlash anything is possible...I, for one, would be very dissapointed because that would be like Luke destroying everything he built up. Of course, then it would give Ben a recurring story line: Redeeming his fathers name. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
What would you guys think if Luke really did go to the darkside? I mean, judging by the cover of Backlash anything is possible...I, for one, would be very dissapointed because that would be like Luke destroying everything he built up. Of course, then it would give Ben a recurring story line: Redeeming his fathers name. Any thoughts?

I doubt the writers would ever bring Luke down that path again. I mean, if he didn't go there after Mara's death, I don't think it'll ever happen.

For that matter, I don't think they will do it to Ben either. They can't have EVERY one of Anakin's descendants dabble in the dark.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I can see how it might make an interesting story, but I agree with Kurt: enough with Skywalker descendants going dark. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

After all Ben's "almost DS" was as close as we will get to GL's vision for Luke of Son redeems father, then Father redeems son.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm really against another Solo or Skywalker going dark. For one thing, if Ben goes dark or Luke goes dark then Jacen took that future for nothing. It would make that whole pointless LotF series utterly obsolete. A lot like that series did to all the growth Jacen had in NJO, the Del Rey series just seem to make the one before it pointless and weird.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus_16 wrote:
I'm really against another Solo or Skywalker going dark. For one thing, if Ben goes dark or Luke goes dark then Jacen took that future for nothing. It would make that whole pointless LotF series utterly obsolete. A lot like that series did to all the growth Jacen had in NJO, the Del Rey series just seem to make the one before it pointless and weird.

I don't know- I'm currently dweeling on Jacen in the Force Philosophy thread- I'm no longer convinced his going Sith was the "wrong" decision, granted he made plenty of bad choices- killing Mara- killing many. But he did succeed in uniting the galaxy.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Absolutely not. To me it would be like Yoda going dark, it just wouldn't happen. Like Sword said, it would go against everything he's built, every battle he's fought, every truth he's found and every path he's walked. In LotF, despite his feelings (and they had to be strong. I don't think I could resist), he refused to take revenge for Mara and kill Jacen because he knew it would drive him to the Dark Side. He's a Jedi for good.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

But that sort of begs the question: would killing Jacen have really been wrong? After all, he was a Sith. Would it have been ok as long as Luke didn't just do it for vengeance?

Anyway, back to the subject, if one more Skywalker or Skywalker relative goes dark, I may have to hurt someone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Would it have been ok as long as Luke didn't just do it for vengeance?

Well, that's the real trick isn't it? Luke is only human and, given the chance to kill Jacen, I can't imagine he'd do it without really, really wanting to do it. For me, personally (not that I've ever had to do such a thing Wink ), I know I couldn't kill someone who killed my wife without vengeance.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I guess I get irritated because I believe that someone who kills someone else (not in self-defense, but an actual murder) deserves to die. Therefore, I think Luke would have been fully justified in killing Jacen, vengeance or not. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

But that sort of begs the question: would killing Jacen have really been wrong? After all, he was a Sith. Would it have been ok as long as Luke didn't just do it for vengeance?

See it was wrong for Luke. Yet not wrong for Jaina??? I never understood that one. Granted the GALAXY wanted Jacen dead, felt he deserved it. But the real perpetrator of the War died at Luke's hands.

And that was ok- though it wasn't to Luke later.

Raynar was able to be imprisoned, and have other Jedi, I see no reason Jacen HAD to be killed. It does fit with 'the Jedi way' we see when it comes to "SITH" entering the playground. Yet it doesn't feel "The Jedi way" per the code. All the Jedi who turned to Sith had their Masters try to bring them back to the light- Luke was too hung up emotionally at the time to do his duty as Jacen's former Master and pull him from the brink.

I don't think KILLING Jacen was the "right" thing. Necessary, easier maybe.

-
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

But yet the Bantam years when Luke refused to kill anyone because he wanted to "bring them back" were pathetic. Even so, I'd have felt much better about killing Jacen if someone, anyone, had actually tried to bring him back to the light. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall most of the characters being in denial about his becoming a Sith early in the series, but then later, they're all of a sudden cool with taking him down. What gives?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

But yet the Bantam years when Luke refused to kill anyone because he wanted to "bring them back" were pathetic. Even so, I'd have felt much better about killing Jacen if someone, anyone, had actually tried to bring him back to the light. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall most of the characters being in denial about his becoming a Sith early in the series, but then later, they're all of a sudden cool with taking him down. What gives?

Sigh, oh LotF, how you disappointed Star Wars fans everywhere. How unbelievable some of that whole thing was. How many plot holes, how many things we can see that bring up issues and how they make big projects like NJO absolutely pointless because Jacen was that series hero. Oh LotF, how I wish you'd never happened.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 3 of 6