EUCast Episode 65 - The Hair Keeps Him Down

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Official Forum of Solo Sound View previous topic :: View next topic  
EUCast Episode 65 - The Hair Keeps Him Down
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

First of all, while I agree that the Skywalker line has to end eventually, don't end it with Cade! My gosh, end on a better note than that. Confused

Second, you're right that mostly there weren't any bad parts following Palpatine's revelation in RotS, but I do have to point out the fight against Palpatine himself. Wasn't his cackling, deformed face a horrid, hilarious sight? I had to cringe at that, and crack up laughing at the same time. For a Star Wars movie, it was terribly fake, and horribly filmed. We're supposed to have a lightsaber fight between the Ultimate Jedi SwordMaster in the galaxy, and one of the greatest Sith Lords of all time. And all we get is some pitiful lunges and parries here and there, even a sad spin? I rate it as even worse than the Obi-Wan/Vader fight in ANH! Also, the killing of the other three Jedi was horrible, absolutely horrible. We've got the four greatest Jedi Swordsman here, and they're cut down and fall comedically in the first half a second. And unfortunately Palpatine shows no skills in the following fight that would prove the prowess he apparently used to cut down the other Jedi. Granted, I realize they were limited by their actors. They didn't have Ewan MacGregor and Ray Park, so no awesome Darth Maul vs. Obi-Wan fight. But it could have been better than that, seriously. Personally, I find it the second most embarrassing scene in Star Wars, right behind the Fireplace Scene.

Back to what Austin was saying, though, later on in the movie, it's beautiful. I thought it got soooo much better. The fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin, especially the dialogue Obi-Wan gives at the end there, is one of my all time favorite scenes of the entire saga. Yep. Love it.

Anyway, there's my 27 cents for that podcast. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Shocked

This is my thought about the Mace and Palpatine fight. Personally, I really liked it because of the close-ups. I wish they had done more close ups for the Obi-Wan and Anakin fight. Make it show some more emotion. As for the length and coolness of the fight, here's my theory, and I am not the only one who thinks this. Palpatine staged it. He didn't fight hard against Mace. He was buying time, and he was trying to lure Mace in the same way he had tricked everyone before; don't appear powerful. Mace was a little stupid there, because he'd already fallen for the "old and weak" trick all this time, but I guess he really thought that Palpatine wasn't good at fighting. Like I said, I think Palpatine went very easy in oder to buy time for Anakin, and to put himself in a position that Mace would think he had won. Palpatine may have even foreseen Anakin coming to his rescue.

As for the death of the three Jedi, if you read the novel, it makes it make sense. Yeah, they live like two seconds longer in the novel, but it comes down to Palpatine messing with their minds and distracting them. Remember, the Jedi's connection with the Force was darkened at this time, so they would have had trouble seeing Palpatine's trap. Also, we know how good Palpatine is based on his Yoda fight. Sure, the deaths of the three looked pathetic, but I think he could have killed them that quickly anyway, using other methods.

And on the filming, they were not really limited with the actor, because they had the power to put in Ian's face over the face of the stunt guy (which they did)/ Still, they meant that close-ups were needed to convince the audience that it was Ian fighting the whole time, and I think those worked really well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

hmm, all good points. The Palpatine vs Mace fight is actually one of my favorite duals in star wars. It wasn't insanely fast and epic like obi wan vs anakin, but there is something so awesome about it. It was the only lightsaber fight where I truly was really into it, complete with a gut wrenching feeling. It was wonderfully done in my opinion. (except for the way Mace had his hand cut off by anakin, LAME)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

You raise some very good points, Ben, and I concede that I may have been rather harsh in my judgment. However, I still can't help but crack up laughing (and cringe in horror) when Palpatine's laying on the ledge going, "Nooo. Nooooo." It's so hilarious! I can never take it seriously. But anyway. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:37 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Great episode! I'd like the news topic on the new books. I'm especially looking forward to the novels coming out in 2011 including the new Tim Zahn novel Choices,the untitled unassigned hardcover coming out in November 2011 and the last FOTJ novel. I'm also looking forward to the untitled unassigned hardcovers coming out in 2012 and some of the novels in 2010 including the book by the well known author,FOTJ:Vortex and the second Joe Schrieber SW hardcover.

I hope the Nov 2011 hardcover and the two 2012 hardcovers will be either another Zahn novel(this time the Skywalker family adventure with Luke,Mara and Ben) or Post-FOTJ hardcovers written by either James Luceno or Matt Stover.

Very Happy Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I just finished watching RotS tonight, and I need to edit my earlier claim against the Palpatine vs. Jedi fight. While the entire fight was nowhere near as bad as I remember, I still loathe the fall of the first two. While Kit Fisto lasted long enough to be decent, the deaths of Agen Kolar and Saesee Tiin were pitiful. They looked like they stood there waiting to make a convincing grimace when Palpatine shoved his lightsaber at them in a clumsy lunge. Even my mom said, "Wow...that was bad."

My memory was flawed, however, concerning the fight between Palpatine and Mace. It was done much better than I remember. But still, as hard as I try, I can't take the bit seriously where Palpatine says, "Noo, nooo. Noooo!" It makes me laugh every time. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am to.... weak... help.....lol. Then its "POWERRRR!!!!!! UNLIMITED POWER!!!

lol, I love that line.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, exactly! Laughing

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Official Forum of Solo Sound

Page 1 of 1