The Star Wars Essential Atlas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah...shes not looking too good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I actually think she looks really good.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote  

So, has anyone else bought the atlas yet? What do you think?

Personally I love it. It's absolutely FULL of information and tons of wonderful maps. I think my favorite is the map of Hutt Space just because I have a thing for the Hutts. Cool Some of the background histories are really neat, and little things like the '20 Wonders of the Galaxy' are very nice additions. There also some good art done by Chris Trevas illustrating the galaxy's denizens.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have bought it. I have a favourable view of it, it's like reading a good tour guide to some big country I'm never going to visit personally.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
So, has anyone else bought the atlas yet? What do you think?

Personally I love it. It's absolutely FULL of information and tons of wonderful maps. I think my favorite is the map of Hutt Space just because I have a thing for the Hutts. Cool Some of the background histories are really neat, and little things like the '20 Wonders of the Galaxy' are very nice additions. There also some good art done by Chris Trevas illustrating the galaxy's denizens.

Yeah I too have this one. The little pics of the people who worked on it converted to their SW versions- how cool is THAT! I love the whole thing- I was a little bummed it was bigger then the Essentials and the old RPG styles but it gives us more space for the detailed maps to I'm ok with that.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Yet I had completely overlooked Jaina's cleavage. Yep. It's there. That has to be a controversial Jedi fashion trend. I mean, she looks like she's wearing her Jedi robe...and nothing else. I feel cheated it was only a head and shoulder's profile Crying or Very sad

Woah! Missed that Laughing No wonder Han's so irritated with her when it comes to boys! I love that Corran looks like Sawyer from Lost.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

It's darn near perfect, easily the best the Essentials series has to offer. There's so much information too digest and so many detailed maps that it really is the best reference book SW could hope for. My only hope is that they treat it like a real atlas and update it every few years. Keep all the old maps, update the relevant ones, eliminate the historical anecdotes from the first one, and add all new maps with new historical anecdotes.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Bill Thompson wrote:
It's darn near perfect, easily the best the Essentials series has to offer. There's so much information too digest and so many detailed maps that it really is the best reference book SW could hope for. My only hope is that they treat it like a real atlas and update it every few years. Keep all the old maps, update the relevant ones, eliminate the historical anecdotes from the first one, and add all new maps with new historical anecdotes.

That would be cool- and while I do like this alot- I'd rank it right behind the Guide to the Force- for me that one still holds the grail, all from a Holocron's POV ending with a Jedi on the run fleeing with the Holocrons as the Sith take out Ossus! Set at the kick off of Legacy.

But I still think the Altas is a top contender!

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm getting from my library soon. I'm really looking forward to it, because there are so many visuals of things we've never seen before.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Has everyone seen Modi's works before?

-
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Bill Thompson wrote:

That would be cool- and while I do like this alot- I'd rank it right behind the Guide to the Force- for me that one still holds the grail, all from a Holocron's POV ending with a Jedi on the run fleeing with the Holocrons as the Sith take out Ossus! Set at the kick off of Legacy.

But I still think the Altas is a top contender!

I really liked The Guide to the Force. However it bugged me that it was told from a Jedi point of view and thus not really a guide to the Force but the Jedi peddling their views on the Force yet again. I would much rather have had an actual guide to the Force with different practitioners of the different Force collectives giving their take on the Force.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Bill Thompson wrote:

I really liked The Guide to the Force. However it bugged me that it was told from a Jedi point of view and thus not really a guide to the Force but the Jedi peddling their views on the Force yet again. I would much rather have had an actual guide to the Force with different practitioners of the different Force collectives giving their take on the Force.

Yeah- though I did like how they had the one Sith Holocron that had Sidious talking- they should have done more of that- your right that would have made it better.

Well after FotJ when they do the next one there will be some characters to put faces to the practitioners.

-
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

OK, my two cents on the pictures:

The Good:

Roan, Lumiya, Krayt, Cade, Anakin and Tenel Ka.

Luke(it was mentioned that it is based on a real person, but I have to say mark hammel did not age as gracefully as this picture).

Ganner-very cool

Caedus-I think it looks awesome. I never liked the betrayal cover, I thought he looked like a teenager in it. Revelation was good, but this picture is better.

The Bad:

Mara: unless it was meant to be a 16 year old version of her.

Jaina: just doesn't fit the visual in my head(I'm stuck with the uber sexy bad ass on the invincible cover).

jacen: How in the world can there be such a difference from the caedus pic to the jacen pic?

Corran-just not my picture of him at all, and I don't recall any mention of long hair(could have forgotten though).

Ben: I don't know what Ben should look like, but that's not it(I didn't like the fury picture either).

Boba, I mean, you really can't screw it up, but I would have liked a pic without his helmet on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote  

It's funny that I've seen and used Modi's maps before, and then I got the atlas, but I didn't make the connection between the two until I went to his site. Smile

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
It's funny that I've seen and used Modi's maps before, and then I got the atlas, but I didn't make the connection between the two until I went to his site. Smile

Yeah me too. I had used some of his earlier maps to help nail a location for a world in my fanfic.

-
-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3