Log in to check your private messages
Anakin Skywalker
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anakin Skywalker
 PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  SwordoftheJedi
Master
Master

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 813
Location: Trying to dodge Javis Tyrr's holocams...

I want to start this topic with two questions:

1. Why wouldn't the Jedi Council let Anakin see his mom when he was a teenager? It's not like he would've left the Order to stay with her forever. I think they should've let him just see her a couple more times, especially when he was having those dreams. He wouldn't have started toward the path of the dark side if he could've just heard from his mom once in a while...

2. Is Anakin Skywalker REALLY the Chosen One? My argument is no, because he did not save the galaxy from the Sith or whatever...he just temporarily put a stop to the Empire, which Thrawn kept going, and which never died anyway. As Vader, he also created Sith, like Lumiya( actually, i think she is the only one because the Secret Apprentice went good...) I don't see how he brought balance to the Force by putting more evil into it... I think we have yet to see the Chosen One. Another point: There couldn't of of been true balance after Palpatine and Vader died anyway, because weren't there other Sith groups out there, like Krayt's?
_________________
"How's that for a system malfunction?" -Jaina Solo
"Embrace the pain, Scarhead."-Jaina Solo



View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Mara Jade Skywalker
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 5534
Location: Beyond Shadows

Hmmm...let's put it this way. If we're considering only the movies, then he was certainly the Chosen One, because he killed the Emperor and gave up himself in the end, thus defeating the Dark Side.

Now throw in the EU, and well...it's a little trickier. I'm not sure, but I think I'd still say yes. Just because he put the galaxy in balance doesn't mean it won't go awry some time in the future. *shrugs* Sounds like a good discussion topic to me. Smile
_________________

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker



View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth Skuldren
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 6434
Location: Missouri

@ 1. The Jedi Council wouldn't let Anakin see his mom because they were against attachments. He already had an attachment to his mom, and their solution was to make him go cold turkey, thinking that would fix the problem. However the 'All Wise' Jedi Council didn't know how to handle the situation correctly, thus their actions simply pushed Anakin farther toward the dark side.

@ 2. Two strings of thought: First, as long as the book keep going forward in time, there can NEVER be a chosen one because the books will always need more Sith and dark siders. The chosen one can never kill them all off forever. Plus that is impossible anyways. As long as people are born Force-sensitive and have the ability to choose, they were always be new people falling to the dark side. And as long as knowledge of the Sith remains, there will always be new Sith. The best the chosen one can do is remove the Sith from power.

Second thought, Anakin is the chosen one 'he who brings balance to the Force' because the Force was out of whack due to the Old Jedi Order. So Anakin helped Palpatine kill them off. Then Palpatine skewered the balance with his own oppressive use of the dark side, so Vader took out Palpatine AND himself. Balance was restored. Prophecy fulfilled. Luke builds up New Jedi Order, gets new prophecy: Jaina is the Sword of the Jedi. I guess you can keep going and say that Anakin's bloodline will continue to make sure that balance is maintained by wiping out every evil that befalls the galaxy. Fast forward and Cade Skywalker is still doing that to an extent.
_________________

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  FatalFist
Knight
Knight

Joined: 06 Sep 2008
Posts: 431
Location: Paksitan-LAhore

Ok...fr me...If Vader/Anakin reaaly was the choosen one....I wud hav to answer this question wid another question...Was Palpatine capable of ruling the galaxy widout any Anakin SkyWalker by his side???
And Wud The Republic Had Defeated The Seperatists Widout Anakin???
_________
Imo Palpatine wudve ruled the galaxy widout an Anakin...
Republic might even hav lost widout Anakin...
Thus Fr Me Yes He was the chosen One...
But I hav to admit the only reason I wud like to think Anakin as the -Chosen One- Is becuz I dont want Qui-Gonn To be Wrong.
_________________


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5142
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm reviving this thread because I wanted to put this question out there: how do y'all feel about the way Anakin's be portrayed in Clone Wars? I'm mostly thinking about the books, but insights on the TV show would be good, too. Smile
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

Re: Anakin Skywalker
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2854
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
I want to start this topic with two questions:


2. Is Anakin Skywalker REALLY the Chosen One? My argument is no, because he did not save the galaxy from the Sith or whatever...he just temporarily put a stop to the Empire, which Thrawn kept going, and which never died anyway. As Vader, he also created Sith, like Lumiya( actually, i think she is the only one because the Secret Apprentice went good...) I don't see how he brought balance to the Force by putting more evil into it... I think we have yet to see the Chosen One. Another point: There couldn't of of been true balance after Palpatine and Vader died anyway, because weren't there other Sith groups out there, like Krayt's?



For me- when the EU is added I look at the Bloodline- for me it's the Chosen One Bloodline's destiny to bring Balance to the Force- and we've certainly seen the events bringing the Skywalker line brought to the front of every major engagement- as with the Solo/Skywalker lines.


Even Cade can't escape the fate that comes with being from the line brought forth by the Force (through the Sith)

That's my take.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2854
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
how do y'all feel about the way Anakin's be portrayed in Clone Wars? I'm mostly thinking about the books, but insights on the TV show would be good, too. Smile



I liked the earlier books, so far since the TWCAS came out- he seems more pushing the Dark in front of Masters too often for me.

Though I haven't seen the TV show that much- FOR SOME reason I can not sit through it. Every time I try I end up zoning out.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5142
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I personally like how Anakin's portrayed on the TV show. He's finally getting to be the hero of the prequel trilogy. I think that a lot of people were in such a hurry to get to Vader, they lost sight of the fact that Anakin wasn't supposed to be evil his entire life. Some of the books take him a little too dark for my taste. It seems unrealistic that the Council would ignore such obvious Sithy behavior. *shrugs*
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2854
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I personally like how Anakin's portrayed on the TV show. He's finally getting to be the hero of the prequel trilogy. I think that a lot of people were in such a hurry to get to Vader, they lost sight of the fact that Anakin wasn't supposed to be evil his entire life. Some of the books take him a little too dark for my taste. It seems unrealistic that the Council would ignore such obvious Sithy behavior. *shrugs*



See I see the same in the show- he always goes postal when ever Padme's in harm- and she's like ALWAYS in harm's way.

The one I liked was Stover's Ep3 going on about then being heroes and brothers. I mean when U think of how far he's come from the Republic line- when he thought Obi-wan was dead and then he's all big Master Hero himself. Which is cool- but now his being a Knight alone time is cut to poodoo.

Not quite sure how I feel about it. So far so good I guess.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  SwordoftheJedi
Master
Master

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 813
Location: Trying to dodge Javis Tyrr's holocams...

I was reading The Essential Guide to the Force and came across this quote: "Some Jedi scholars have even suggested the possibility that an unknown Sith Lord concieved the prophecy as part of the Sith Order's long-term plan to conquer the galaxy..."

(Refering to the Chosen One Prophecy)
I think this is an interesting point of discussion, since the Sith are very patient and could definitely have planted the prophecy as a way to make the Jedi constantly speculate and second guess themselves. Maybe even as a way to manipulate the Jedi into putting all their hope into one person, the supposed Chosen One. Any thoughts?
_________________
"How's that for a system malfunction?" -Jaina Solo
"Embrace the pain, Scarhead."-Jaina Solo



View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5142
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I would say that it may be possible, but in my own little head canon, it didn't happen. It is an interesting thought, though. It would require that the Jedi not know where this prophecy they put so much stock in came from.
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3858
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
I was reading The Essential Guide to the Force and came across this quote: "Some Jedi scholars have even suggested the possibility that an unknown Sith Lord concieved the prophecy as part of the Sith Order's long-term plan to conquer the galaxy..."

(Refering to the Chosen One Prophecy)
I think this is an interesting point of discussion, since the Sith are very patient and could definitely have planted the prophecy as a way to make the Jedi constantly speculate and second guess themselves. Maybe even as a way to manipulate the Jedi into putting all their hope into one person, the supposed Chosen One. Any thoughts?


It all depends on when it was made, of course. I'd put it, in my mind, at before KOTOR - perhaps during the TOTJ events. However, if that theory is correct, then I wouldn't mind. It'd even make a nice twist. However, I'd also believe that the Jedi, when they believed the Sith wiped out, came up with that theory to explain away the fact that it turned out to not come to pass. Specifically, that it didn't come to pass in the Sith era, an era they believed to have finished. So, no Sith, no accurate prophecy, must, then, be a fake.
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
I was reading The Essential Guide to the Force and came across this quote: "Some Jedi scholars have even suggested the possibility that an unknown Sith Lord concieved the prophecy as part of the Sith Order's long-term plan to conquer the galaxy..."

(Refering to the Chosen One Prophecy)
I think this is an interesting point of discussion, since the Sith are very patient and could definitely have planted the prophecy as a way to make the Jedi constantly speculate and second guess themselves. Maybe even as a way to manipulate the Jedi into putting all their hope into one person, the supposed Chosen One. Any thoughts?


Except that this is directly contradicted by the movies (G canon) where is directly stated as a Jedi prophecy.
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Jedi Master Skid
Knight
Knight

Joined: 26 Jun 2011
Posts: 251
Location: Blackpool, England

The chosen one is the Skywalker name. not any one particular skywalker. Here is my view

Jedi Master Skid wrote:
Right here is my point of view.

Quote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi: With all due respect, Master, is he not the Chosen One? Is he not to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force?
Mace Windu: So the prophecy says.
Yoda: A prophecy that misread could have been.



It seems to me that we have a firm understanding that Anakin is the chosen one, but i disagree from a certain point of view. I think that the chosen one is the Skywalker name. We have Anakin who falls to the dark side for so many years when by the will of the Force he learns that he has a Son that we all know is Luke. With his son being fried like a piece of bacon before his very eyes, surely remembering his only son begging for him to join the Light side again, so with that he the Sith Lord Sidious to his death, becoming once again a Jedi and bringing balance to the Force. Now fast forward 10 years to Dark Empire (I think its ten years after ROTJ) we see Sidious reborn and takes Luke to the Dark side and underneath his wing (If he was a Sith or dark Jedi is something to discuss but for this situation I am saying he is a Sith Wink ). Now who brings Luke back from the Dark side? Yes that's right Leia. A Skywalker. She brings Luke back from the Dark side and Helps him destroy Sidious once and for all. Fast forward another 30 years Legacy of the Force series and we see Darth Caedus rise up from the former Jedi Jacen Solo. We see him turn his back on his Family all together, his parents, his twin sister, his aunt, uncle, cousin, even his wife and child eventually. Bringing war to the Galaxy once again only his twin Sister can kill him. Yes Jaina Solo kills her brother to destroy the Sith and bring back balance to the force.

Whoa there Skid! You said Jaina Solo then. But didn't you say the Skywalker name is the Chosen one?

Yes I did but remember her Mother is Leia Organa Solo. Sister of Luke Skywalker so even though her last name is different her DNA is still half Skywalker.

Now The Legacy Era and my personal favorite at the moment is still an open ending. We have Cade Skywalker the last descendant (Apart from Nat) of the Skywalker name. Can he defeat Darth Kryat and bring balance to the Force? With Legacy war out i don't know what happening at the moment so please no one spoil it for me Very Happy Thank you.

_________________


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

Yeah, except George Lucas came out and absolutely clarified that Anakin is the Chosen One in a documentary. Also anything George says is G canon. It does not have to happen IC. If George says it, it's so.
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 1 of 8
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield