Padmé Amidala Skywalker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padmé Amidala Skywalker
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I realized yesterday that Padmé has no thread. Anyone have any thoughts? On her character, not Natalie Portman's acting. Smile

Just to throw out a few points: was she as strong a character as Leia? Does she really have a big presence in the SW saga? Was she a better character as a politician or when she was thrown into fight?

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

She had weak dialogue but delivered what she had to work with well. As a character she isn't as strong because it seems that nearly all we get to see her is cliche or cheesy scenes with Anakin, cause even though there are action scenes they still flirt and make googly eyes. While this was cute and funny once it got old with TCW. I like Padme and I'd love to see her get more pages or even a novel if there were a decent story, but they just haven't fleshed her out like they have Leia.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote  

Hmm, well both Leia and Padme played politician and gunslinger. On one hand Padme took out a Nexu, and on the other hand, Leia took out a Hutt. Hard to say.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Was it ever galacticly accepted that she was married to Skywalker?

I mean she never publicly used the name, outside of Anakin, Luke and Leia who else would have known?

After the fact more learn. Bail, Yoda, Obi-wan....who else?

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I assume they were legally married on Naboo. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Leia is way better than Padme. She has a lot stronger character.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I think that Padmé just hasn't been developed to the extent that Leia has. I mean, she's been in a grand total of about three EU books and was usually relegated to a background role. Plus, no one's ever fleshed out her story before TPM or between TPM and AotC. I think the Clone Wars books and show are a great opportunity to give her some action, but instead they seem to like having her sit on Coruscant and wait for Anakin. Where did that drive for justice she had in TPM and AotC go? Padmé's character just hasn't been taken full advantage of in the EU.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Great job defending Padme, Padme. Razz You bring up some really good points, too.

I'm going to through out my opinion on your topics:

was she as strong a character as Leia? I think that she was. She had a strong sense of duty to her people and was selfless, like Leia. I hate how they make it look like she is just there to have a reason to make Anakin go dark. She was much more than that, and they really need to write about her more. I would love to hear some stories about her because from what we have heard she is interesting, and the authors need to take advantage of that, because the Clone Wars is not doing such a hot job...

Does she really have a big presence in the SW saga?
Not yet. And I only say that because yet again, the issue comes up of her storyline hardly being developed at all. From a person who has only seen the movies standpoint, I might say yes, just because if you're looking for a strong female figure its either Leia or Padme.

Was she a better character as a politician or when she was thrown into fight? I think as a politician. She was just really, honestly interested in the good of the people of Naboo. She didn't screw around and hide behind political lies...she tried her best to make a good life for the people of Naboo. Being a good fighter just makes her more awesome.

On a side note, there is a really great story in Star Wars Tales Volume Two involving Padme...It's called A Summer's Dream, and I really really liked it. Emotional for some reason for me, but I get like that with Star Wars, probably knowing what happens to these characters gets me like that. I dont know...but anyway, it really casts young Padme in a innocent, very likable light, and I really liked the story. You all should check it out. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SwordoftheJedi wrote:
On a side note, there is a really great story in Star Wars Tales Volume Two involving Padme...It's called A Summer's Dream, and I really really liked it. Emotional for some reason for me, but I get like that with Star Wars, probably knowing what happens to these characters gets me like that. I dont know...but anyway, it really casts young Padme in a innocent, very likable light, and I really liked the story. You all should check it out. Smile

I have indeed read that one, Sword. I liked it. As far as I know, it's the only Padmè story from before TPM. Sad, if you ask me.

Honestly, what I really want is a Clone Wars book where she arrives on a planet to try to negotiate with the Separatists, and they ambush her and she actually fights back and makes them sorry they messed with her. Anakin can hear she's in trouble and arrive at the end, too late to do much good. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

IDK, she seems to be getting into plenty of adventures in TCWAS, too much and she'll feel played out. I mean one senator over and over again gets in harms way- I thought that part of her story was sitting back not knowing. Not knowing how the struggle was going, not knowing how Anakin was.

Not that I'm against her getting more book time- it just doesn't quite feel right.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's sort of my point, Rogue. Whenever she appears in a book or on the TV show, she always has the same plot. Look, Padmé went somewhere to do something Senatorial. Whoops, she got captured. Anakin saves her. They make flirty eyes at each other. Woo-hoo. She needs to have plotlines with more substance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My biggest issue with Padme is how she deals with Anakin's fall in ROTS. In my opinion she goes from someone with exceptionally strong character - only to fall apart when Anakin turns. I really think she just shut down completely and thats hard for me to swallow.

I would have liked to see her handle things differently, but other than that I think she is a strong character.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
She needs to have plotlines with more substance.

Maybe it's just me- but I'd like to see her indirectly or directly help Bail and Mon Mothma form a rebellion in a small way.

I think it would be cool to know Padme was the inspiration for say Mon Mothma to go forward with a rebellion later.

-
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

comanderbly wrote:
My biggest issue with Padme is how she deals with Anakin's fall in ROTS. In my opinion she goes from someone with exceptionally strong character - only to fall apart when Anakin turns. I really think she just shut down completely and thats hard for me to swallow.

I would have liked to see her handle things differently, but other than that I think she is a strong character.

Well I see your POV, but I have known people who don't open up- and then when they do they FALL HARD. Which IMO was what we saw with Padme' the realization that the Anakin she knew and Loved was all but gone was too much for her to take. But yeah it is hard for that to come across since the film was more about Anakin's fall then anything else.

-
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
comanderbly wrote:

Well I see your POV, but I have known people who don't open up- and then when they do they FALL HARD. Which IMO was what we saw with Padme' the realization that the Anakin she knew and Loved was all but gone was too much for her to take. But yeah it is hard for that to come across since the film was more about Anakin's fall then anything else.

Yeah - I don't expect her to pick up a blaster and rush him or anything. I can see the reasons why she shuts down and goes all broken hearted. I just feel that she was strong enough to see past her own pain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 1 of 2