Paperback Cost Increase
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paperback Cost Increase
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Let me be the first to say that I am more than unhappy upon hearing about the cost increase of Outcast and the other FotJ paperbacks. Who cares if they're bigger? There's not going to be anymore content. It will be the exact same, inside and out, except for the actual size in measurement.

Were this to be a trend they carried over into the rest of the Star Wars books, I may have to stop buying anything other than the occasional favorite. Maybe collect them on eBay after the fact. But the paperbacks have already been rising in price. Many are already up to $8. To suddenly jump to $10 so they can be 'bigger' upsets me. And I know the economy is down right now. But I still see no reason to increase the cost. Certainly they're making the size of the book larger, so it will cost them a few more pennies per copy to produce, but why? Why make them bigger? There's no need! I am perfectly happy purchasing the small version.

I know quite a few people who were waiting for FotJ to hit paperback before buying, because they weren't going to be able to afford every single one in hardback. Now they're being told the only other option is going to see a rise in price as well? While DelRey/LucasFilm may not lose the hardcore fans, they're going to be losing a lot of the less loyal ones. And even some of the hardcore fans, such as myself, are going to be rather reluctant to buy them. I've already skipped out on Omen and Abyss as hardcovers due to the cost, and I rarely do so. And I'm not talking $27, cause I know where to get both of them for $15. So I certainly don't see myself buying an already released book for $10. Something like Imperial Commando, yes, I would break down and buy at $10. But not a rerelease. I'll have to wait until I have enough funds to afford myself the luxury of picking up Omen and Abyss on eBay. Hopefully by the time Backlash rolls around I'll be set to grab that one as is.

Anyway, I think this is a very bad move, and it upsets me quite a bit. My library doesn't normally get the books. FotJ has been a rarity. So I may start to get farther and farther behind where the EU material is concerned. If they carry it farther, that is. If not...I suppose I can live with that. But I still don't think it's right for them to do it to the FotJ series, either. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

At first I was excited about the prospect of bigger paperback books. Then I paused to consider if it was worth the price jump. It's really not. I mean, it's bad enough that hardcovers are close to 30 bucks, now we'll have to pay ten even if we wait for the paperback? As much as I love SW, I can't afford to shell out that much every time they release a book. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Why were you excited about the bigger books, even initially? I can't see any advantage whatsoever. They look more impressive or something? So what if they're bigger? What exactly does that do other than take up more shelf space? Granted, it may actually take up less shelf space if the book is taller and skinnier, but they won't even fit on the darn shelf in the first place if they get any taller. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm with Mara Jade, I see no advantage to the "bigger paperbacks", the 2 dollar increase for exactly nothing extra does not seem like a bargain to me. I am already waiting for the FOTJ series in paperback, and this new move has dismayed me, to say the least. I have some of these "premium" paperbacks, mostly bought from airport magazine stands, while desperate for reading material for flights to and from FL. They hold no extra content, and they claim to be "more comfortable to hold". It has been my experience, that they are the same amount of effort and/ or comfort to hold as a "regular" paperback. I believe it has more to do with profit margins than offering them as "premium". Well, that's my two bits. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote  

I am also against the change, not only the price hike, but the bigger books too. Frankly it's hard enough to organize your bookshelf, but with them changing the book sizes, well, now they won't match.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Why were you excited about the bigger books, even initially?

I don't really know. Maybe I thought they'd look nicer on my shelf? Obviously, I hadn't thought it through. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm with Skuldren, but I think it goes further. The Obsessive Compulsive collector will still want all the books, but will have to rebuy things in the new size. No matter what, its a money-making scheme. I understand for those of you who think that they're just trying to beat the recession, but they have a loyal fan-base that's growing daily so financially this is just to increase all of their takes, not to do anything for the fans. An all hardcover 9 book series, new bigger and more expensive paperbacks, its nothing but nonsense to make us waste more money on stuff we technically don't need. I have to say, as much as I love Star Wars and the EU, if this actually goes through and becomes a full reality then the first expense that goes is my buying of Star Wars books. I shall just get them from the library and read them to keep up with you guys here. Sorry Del Rey, but my money is more important than your stories about characters I love dearly Sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My issue isn't the money so much. My question is just: Why? Do they think people who buy paperbacks regularly suddenly want a different shaped book? Like noted above, if there is no additional content, then why bother?

Sure, I understand that the books are $2 more, but will that offset the loss of revenue from those folks who will buy less books because of the price change? As is it, many are unhappy that FOTJ are all hardcover and are not buying them. This seems foolish to me.

I don't think anyone will be fooled by calling the "premium".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

kurtdc wrote:
My issue isn't the money so much. My question is just: Why? Do they think people who buy paperbacks regularly suddenly want a different shaped book? Like noted above, if there is no additional content, then why bother?

Sure, I understand that the books are $2 more, but will that offset the loss of revenue from those folks who will buy less books because of the price change? As is it, many are unhappy that FOTJ are all hardcover and are not buying them. This seems foolish to me.

I don't think anyone will be fooled by calling the "premium".

Exactly.

My only concern is that they'll start trying to tempt people with bonus content in larger books, because I'm a sucker sometimes and depending on the book I would possibly buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, I am a sucker for extras. Like the little extras they have put in some of the paperback reprints. Now, if we were to get some short stories like the two vader short stories(betrayal reprint?), then I would gladly buy the paperback even if I had the hardcover.

But with no extras(and I really don't view previews of other books as an extra, in fact I think they should not be in the hardcovers at all), what is "premium"? A different shape? I think it has been noted by many that the previous shape was fine. As it is it annoys me that my two clone wars novels don't match my paperbacks or hardcovers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There may be a recession, but do you honestly think Star Wars needs more money? Neutral And personally I liked the size of the old paperbacks- so transportable.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm not happy about this at all. I don't need bigger paperbacks, the size they are at is perfectly fine, and outside of that there is no reason for the price increase. This is stupid.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

For me- price jump= bleeding a stone
Size- as long as it's not SO TALL it doesn't fit I'll be happy- if it's not going to be AS big as the TPBs- I have those sideways- only way they'd fit- As long as they are about the same size as the kids books- they fit well.

Though seriously WHY? IMO it's just not worth the changes at all.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My main problem with this is the fact that the book is larger. I have never like the larger books, prefer a smaller version any day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Autobon wrote:
My main problem with this is the fact that the book is larger. I have never like the larger books, prefer a smaller version any day.

Yeah when it comes to collecting paperbacks Anthony Stark said it best "That's how dad did it, that's how" (I do) "it, and it's worked out pretty well so far."

If it's not broke.........

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 4