Society Has Slammed the Door on Chivalry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote  

I was reading through this thread and thinking the same thing Caedus was...the feminist killed chivalry. Of course it's not completely dead, there are us misplaced knights of a forgotten realm still wandering around giving up our seats to the other sex or lending a helping hand in this way or that, but for the most part, it's been cast aside.

However, let us not confuse chivalry with manners. It's just plain good manners to hold the door open for whoever. I don't care if it's a male, a female, a child or an old lady, a body-builder, of Darth Elmo himself. I'll hold open the door.

Now I'm going to lay the blame on bad manners as an affect from bad parenting and rap music. Yes, I went there. In fact I think Hip Hop and R&B can be thrown in their too. They're creating a culture where no values are being held for manners, but they're creating a respect for pimps and their ho's and living it easy in their mansions and their big recording contracts. They're presenting the image of being lazy and disrespectful. Look no further than Kanye West.

Bringing back chivalry may be debatable, but bringing back manners is imperative.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Look no further than Kanye West.

Oh, that jack- Errrr, what? Wink

Anyway, I do agree that the bad (c)rap music is a part of it. So much cussing, hate, and degrading women... Mad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus, have no worries about how many days you have left. You bring up an excellent point. You also, Skuldren. I hadn't even considered that, but it's completely true. The women have helped kill chilvalry. And they probably started the ball rolling in the first place. And to those women...they are idiots. I do believe that women shouldn't be treated just as degraded housewives, but to the extent that it's been taken (like your example, Caedus), shame on them. It disgusts me when females are like that. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I completely agree. The feminist movement did help bring about the rudeness that we see these days. I was horrified at Caedus' story. If there's a guy walking right behind me, I hold the door until he gets there, and I'd be happy if he did the same for me.

As for the point Skuldren brought up: I think it's awful the way teenagers and young adults are allowed to disrespect others. It's not cool; it's just rude.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well I'm glad I'll survive Very Happy

But something that always troubles me is the idea that chivalry and a simple polite attitude are seperate things. Like Padme said, hold the door for anyone behind you. Like Skuldren said, rap music has finished off the next generation. I think once mine dies out, chivalry WILL be dead simply because the younger generation doesn't know it ever existed.

But till the day I'll die I shall hold doors for my girlfriend and help her grandma unload the car and yes, I shall even be civil to her rude father (who I keep hearing from everyone is a great guy but he just doesn't like me). Chivalry won't ever die as long as Skuldren and I and whoever else is chivalrous here is walkin this earth. Plus all the others.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm always told how well mannered and polite my kids are, but I always feel like they could be more polite. That's been ingrained in my family from my Dad, and pressed home by my Mom. It was also values I share with my wife, so we try to make sure our kids come away with the right values as well.

May they be the light in the darkness!!!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

It was never ingrained into me to say "yes ma'am" and "no, sir" and stuff like that, but I do it anyway. In my opinion, it all depends on what you're exposed to as a kid. If you're around people who are polite, chances are you'll pick up on it. My parents didn't have to knock themselves telling me every little rule.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

If you're going to blame bad parenting and rap music, also blame public high-schools, where these kids can go and get away with bad manners, terrible behavior, and whatever else they want. The bad habits will not lessen when they are constantly in an environment that acts the same way and that has no consequences for their actions. Basically, the attitude can be: "So what if I don't hold the door open? I won't get in trouble."

I went to a private school from 1st-most of high-school, and I know that the environment there had a great impact on my behavior. I would like to think that the kindness I show to others would be how I acted regardless of where I went to school, but I really think the environment helped. I remember in middle-school, cursing and making fun of people was the big thing. It was, undoubtedly, because of rap and what's in movies. I look back on it know and find it funny; kids would curse (when not around adults) every other word. And I would bet money they didn't know what those words meant. Thankfully, the kids who did that slowly left the school, and by high-school everyone was much more mature. But I know in public school, that behavior doesn't die out with age and maturity.

Last edited by Old Master Ben on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly, I'm not surprised by the disrespect in schools when the teacher has a class talking about the meanings behind swear words. I paid tuition for this? Confused

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Totally agree, OMB. I agree that the feminist movement has gone too far, it isn't about being equal anymore it's about being better. Lately a woman killed her baby and the judge let her off because of her gender and she probably was under a lot of stress. Confused It's funny how when something is under attack you embrace it more readily. Like if someone is bad-mouthing God, I always find myself closer to Him afterwards. It's the same here, since this thread started I've strived to be more chivalrous than ever.

I don't think chivalry will ever die out completely as long as us stubborn old-fashioned types stick around and teach our offspring to be the same.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Totally agree, OMB. I agree that the feminist movement has gone too far

Little do both of you know.... I am the leader of it.... Surprised

no.... actually I am just bored

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Argh!!!!! The Random Jawa is behind it all. I'll bet he's in league with Darth Elmo, too. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote  

I can picture that Jawa and Darth Elmo going around and slamming doors in people's faces. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laughing And not giving their seats for a lady.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Laughing And not giving their seats for a lady.

And biting babies on their ears....Evil or Very Mad Darth Elmo has been a bad influence.

Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 2 of 3