The Phantom Menace
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Phantom Menace
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I just watched this for the first time in over a year, and last time I watched it, I wasn't paying attention. So it's probably been about 2 years. I noticed way too many things I'd never noticed before, and this time around, for the first time, I thought this Episode was excellent! I don't know how it ever got as much flak as it did. I'm now going to list the major pros and cons I noticed this time around:

Pros:
1. Jake Lloyd's acting. It was superb! He's a little kid, come on. I can't believe all the negativity concerning the poor kid's performance, especially considering his age! There was only one line I wasn't happy with, and it was, "This is tense!" But that was the line itself, not the acting.
2. The battle droids. They were great! I loved their personalities, the cocking of the head, the voices, the dash of humor here and there. They were great.
3. The podrace. An excellent idea we'd never seen before that was pulled off beautifully. There were things that could have been better, definitely, but I thought it was great all the same.
4. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul. This was an extraordinary lightsaber duel considering the last thing we'd seen was Luke vs. Darth Vader.
5. Darth Maul himself. The awesomest bad guy other than Boba Fett and Vader. I love him to death.
6. Coruscant. That planet still impresses me every time I see it. I love the views we're provided, and the idea of a planetwide city is just awesome. I realize Zahn came up with it in the Thrawn trilogy, but actually seeing it was great.
7. The trip through the planet core. I love the attacks by the fish, and that one shot of the "bigger fish" eating the first attacker...gorgeous. I'm not morbid, I promise. But for some reason I just love that scene. Smile
8. Watto. I don't know, but I love Watto! The fact that he flaps around all the time, as well as his attitude, he's a great character.
9. Sebulba. You love to hate him. He's an excellent antagonist.
10. The politics. I realize they were confusing, and they weren't what people were used to or expecting, but it was a great way to branch off into something else. To give us a different view into Star Wars. I enjoy it.
11. The ending song. I love that song! It reminds me of the Lion King, and I always end up getting it stuck in my head. Smile

Cons:
1. Yoda as a puppet. I'm not sure what happened there, but it wasn't so great.
2. The lighting on Naboo. Obi-Wan always looked horrible when he was outside on Naboo, poor guy. They should have fixed that.
3. The scene near the beginning when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon run from the Droidekas. Apparently they're using Force Speed? But the scene doesn't work, because it simply ends up looking like bad editing.
4. Maul's height. They should have disguised it a bit more when he's walking beside the Neimoidians. I can't take him seriously in that shot. Wink

Meh:
1. Jar-Jar. He wasn't nearly as bad as I remember, and I didn't totally mind his presence. The movie most probably would have been better without him, but I can tolerate him so much better these days.

I'm pretty sure there was one more con, but I can't remember it at the moment, so it must not have been that big a deal. The dialogue wasn't horrible in TPM at all! The only bad line I remember was the one Anakin uses that I mentioned earlier, "This is tense." Otherwise, it was fine. I don't know, but this 17th time around, I absoultely loved it. There's a scene during the Battle of Naboo with the Gungans, where a battle droid is totally flattened by one of his own tanks, and it's hilarious! This was the first time I noticed it, and I cracked up laughing. Smile

Anyway, overall I thought the movie was gorgeous, and while it of course doesn't compare with the Original Trilogy, I found none of the things wrong with it that I have before, much less the things everyone continuously harps on. So yeah, watch it again. If you were previously having doubts, hopefully you'll like it better this time around.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I actually like how it doesn't compare to OT. A very good contrast within the saga, It starts out as a happy-go-lucky tale and evolves into darker grounds.

And yes, TPM was a good solid movie. And I'd have to agree with you, while Jar-Jar was annoying, he certainly didn't ruin Episode 1. And Jake Lloyd did a phenomenal job as Anakin, probably a better job than Hayden,,, Laughing

Last edited by Jedi Joe on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara liking droid humor? What's this world coming to? Laughing

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I think it's rather unfair to compare the prequels to the OT. They're too different.

TPM is my least favorite of the prequels, but that doesn't mean there was anything wrong with it. My biggest complaint was actually Anakin's "Yippee!" after Watto told him he could go home. It was pretty lame. What kid says "yippee" anymore? But that wasn't Jake Lloyd's fault, of course. Oh, and if we're comparing his acting to Hayden's, we should really specify whether we're talking about Hayden in AotC or RotS. Smile

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

After finishing the first half of my Star Wars marathon tonight, I have to agree that you can't even begin to compare the Prequel Trilogy to the Original Trilogy. They are completely and totally different, yet the stories mesh beautifully. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Eh, Phantom menace wasn't bad. Out of the series it is second to last IMO, outshining only that awful AotC. TPM has a decent amount of story, but I'll never love Jar Jar and I'll never be comfortable for me to watch and try to believe that an entire galaxy is stupid enough to let Palpatine become Supreme CHanecllor when he is obviously trying WAY too hard and keeping tattooed weirdos in his apartment. But its better than the really really bad romantic scenes in AotC.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was watching this last night. I don't know why, since its my least favorite by far...I find myself wondering... is this movie relevant at all?????? They should've started with Episode II and did a couple flashbacks of Anakin when he was a kid...they didn't need to make a whole pointless movie out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Harsh, Sword. While TPM wasn't up to par with the rest of the saga, I don't think it was pointless.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Harsh, Sword. While TPM wasn't up to par with the rest of the saga, I don't think it was pointless.

Sorry if it was a bit harsh. Smile I'm just trying to figure out what it accomplished in the saga overall. And I'm coming up with nothing,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It showed us where Anakin came from and what he was like before he became Vader. It also provided the scenario where he met Padmè. And, come on, any movie that gives us Darth Maul is a good one. Smile

Then, of course, there's Jar Jar.....Razz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Jar Jar - not cool.

Anakin being so much younger then Padme- not cool

Everything else- I enjoyed alot.

I like all of Qui-gon's parts. It's the whole Anakin-Padme romance in the making that blew it for me.

Maul rocks, and his battle is still one of the best out there. None top ep 3 for me though Smile

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

I like all of Qui-gon's parts. It's the whole Anakin-Padme romance in the making that blew it for me.

Really? There wasn't really any romance in Episode 1. Granted, if there had, it would have been creepy. But Anakin just seemed to like her in a little kid way. And I don't think the age thing really matters by the time we get to Episode 2.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:

Really? There wasn't really any romance in Episode 1. Granted, if there had, it would have been creepy. But Anakin just seemed to like her in a little kid way. And I don't think the age thing really matters by the time we get to Episode 2.

That's just it, you knew he'd get with her. So ep 1 focuses the age difference. Basicly everytime you get gushy for Anakin and Padme think- it's the Queen seducing the 9 year old slave boy. I so wish GL did something different there. But it is what it is.

I think the whole young Queen thing doesn't make much sense. How wise can a teen be?

But like I said, I enjoyed Qui-gon's parts, And Mauls. I still prefer most of 1 over most of 2. But then more and more these days I have favorite PARTS and no fav movie. They all have things that rock, and they all have things that just blow in one way or another.

Jar Jar I'm looking at you! Wink

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
That's just it, you knew he'd get with her. So ep 1 focuses the age difference. Basicly everytime you get gushy for Anakin and Padme think- it's the Queen seducing the 9 year old slave boy. I so wish GL did something different there. But it is what it is.

I think the whole young Queen thing doesn't make much sense. How wise can a teen be?

Um, when does Padmè ever do anything remotely resembling seduction? Most people say that, if anything, Anakin was the stalker. In AotC, anyway. Not that I agree. *shrugs*

And I suppose the adults on Naboo just weren't very bright. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

Padme is just amazing like that Smile I think she was like a young political genius or something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 6