Log in to check your private messages
Imperial Commando: 501st SPOILER THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you like it?
Karen Traviss brings it again!
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Karen Traviss once more losses my interest
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
It was an ok SW book
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Well it's not going to count in the end anyway.....
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
I LOVED it! I look forward to Karen's last SW book the next one!
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

 PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth Skuldren
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 6254
Location: Missouri

Well since KT does like to be all heart wrenching and all, maybe she'll have Dar kill Kal. That would certainly be one way to end it in tears. Shocked
_________________

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote  
Message
  kurtdc
Master
Master

Joined: 15 May 2008
Posts: 602
Location: boston

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well since KT does like to be all heart wrenching and all, maybe she'll have Dar kill Kal. That would certainly be one way to end it in tears. Shocked


Wow, that would be heavy stuff. He did already lose it once and beat the crap out of him. With his new mindset, it's possible.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2851
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

So I thoroughly enjoyed it myself. I thought this one was the best yet. For those who hated KT's "Jedi Bashing" I felt this one went a long way to pointing out it's just these people and their culture that distrusts the Jedi. And I enjoyed how Kal's dealing with this, he knows he should hate-avoid the Jedi but Jusik and Etain have opened him up to the truth that the Jedi were not what he thought. I felt that was realy brought home with Zey and how he was upset that they thought the Jedi were baby snatchers.

Delta being left out I figured is for next book (I hope) but was put off that we didn't get anything from Vau about it more.

We also get our first Female Mandalore- Mandalore the Destroyer. (Just a mention and quote but still)

And Preist how Mij kills him so quickly reminds us that these guys ARE not the good guys, they will kill for reasons justifiable to them. IMO the clones are the only "Good Guys" and even that is a world of grey. But I felt that was the point of these books and the time frame they are pointing us to.

Arla - Alra was a reason to get my Open Seasons out again- I found her story line enthralling. How she was tortured and JOINED the Death Watch- you hear about that stuff, and it gives Jusik his tester for the Jedi wipes. I felt that everything that happened was happening for a purpose- Zey- to test Jusik, and Kal. Arla- to ty the Death Watch and Jango's story more to this one and Mandalorina history.

I liked how the Armor was called red at the start but they were back in Black by the end. I enjoyed Darman's break with himself )what I'm calling his coping) And the end- Man I did NOT want it to END! And it leaves you going WHAT WILL DARMAN DO?

for me I'd give it a 5 of 5, it had all the elements of a great story for me.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  kurtdc
Master
Master

Joined: 15 May 2008
Posts: 602
Location: boston

IR2, I agree with most of what you said, except that I felt almost all of the storylines were not carried out far enough. Of course that could all be cleared up in the next book.

I thought each of the four RC books had a specific arc to each book, while continuing the overall story. This one I felt continued the overall story, but didn't have it's own specific story arc.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2851
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

kurtdc wrote:
IR2, I agree with most of what you said, except that I felt almost all of the storylines were not carried out far enough. Of course that could all be cleared up in the next book.

I thought each of the four RC books had a specific arc to each book, while continuing the overall story. This one I felt continued the overall story, but didn't have it's own specific story arc.


Yeah I did want the story to keep going. But I think I'd rather want more then feel she went too far and lost everyone Wink

But yeah- for me I saw this one as a "closure" book. It's going to have ended better then the next one, IMO. But most of this one was tied together by the relationships of the 1st 4. I dug that. I enjoyed how characters who felt out of place in the story had a purpose in the end.


I felt bad for Reau- I have the Wedding shot of her and Dred

So it made them not so faceless. I have to wonder how that will bite them...
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2851
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

sooooo....


Has anyone else thought about this Vaccine more?

Think about it- she re created her original Clone Virus (not completed) that Palpatine used on Gilbar (sp) then they all get the Vaccine shot.


Yet was not the Virus used in LotF the Fett aimed one?


Sooo wouldn't it have NO EFFECT on Mandalore?


Food for thought.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2851
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Another thing- I liked the hat tip when Jusik took Fi in the starfighter and they had the Jango-Boba line about flying the ship and waiting till atmosphere- I thought that was cool of Karen.


See I like the Mando's, but the Jedi will always be my #1. But I was never bothered by Karen's version of the Jedi. And loved that she worked with Altis and Calista's group.

And it's not going to be a bad thing that we will see "Other" versions of the Mandalorians. They are more a clan-sect group anyway. So we can have as many different versions and get tossed at us.


The big 3 of groups IMO:

Jedi
Sith
Mandolorians.


Hmmm all but the Jedi have had an official "Empire" at one point in time or another. Interesting. Since in most respects they've been at the head of the longest lived political power.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote  
Message
  kurtdc
Master
Master

Joined: 15 May 2008
Posts: 602
Location: boston

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
sooooo....


Has anyone else thought about this Vaccine more?

Think about it- she re created her original Clone Virus (not completed) that Palpatine used on Gilbar (sp) then they all get the Vaccine shot.


Yet was not the Virus used in LotF the Fett aimed one?


Sooo wouldn't it have NO EFFECT on Mandalore?


Food for thought.


Possible. I don't know if the distinction of "nanovirus"(isn't that what it was called in LOTF?) makes it a different thing though. That would be good, because Fett should be able to be on mandalore.

On the other hand, a Fett that cannot return to a home that he just recently embraced whole-heartedly would lead to a colder, meaner Fett, and thus nastier storylines involving him.

Not that he was a creampuff before.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2851
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

kurtdc wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
sooooo....


Has anyone else thought about this Vaccine more?

Think about it- she re created her original Clone Virus (not completed) that Palpatine used on Gilbar (sp) then they all get the Vaccine shot.


Yet was not the Virus used in LotF the Fett aimed one?


Sooo wouldn't it have NO EFFECT on Mandalore?


Food for thought.


Possible. I don't know if the distinction of "nanovirus"(isn't that what it was called in LOTF?) makes it a different thing though. That would be good, because Fett should be able to be on mandalore.

On the other hand, a Fett that cannot return to a home that he just recently embraced whole-heartedly would lead to a colder, meaner Fett, and thus nastier storylines involving him.

Not that he was a creampuff before.


I figure nanovirus was a disserent delivery system. I'm betting all it did Was give them a cold Wink
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  kurtdc
Master
Master

Joined: 15 May 2008
Posts: 602
Location: boston

Well, there sure is a bit of a flaw in that whole nanovirus thing if your theory is not on target. If they were not imminized to it, then it's not only Fett, but Kad and Jaing as well. Not to mention if any of the other clones were still alive by the end of LOTF.


I didn't know that whole open seasons storyline(other than hearing about the death watch). So yesterday I ordered the TPB of it to catch up on that stuff.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2851
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

kurtdc wrote:
Well, there sure is a bit of a flaw in that whole nanovirus thing if your theory is not on target. If they were not imminized to it, then it's not only Fett, but Kad and Jaing as well. Not to mention if any of the other clones were still alive by the end of LOTF.


I didn't know that whole open seasons storyline(other than hearing about the death watch). So yesterday I ordered the TPB of it to catch up on that stuff.


I forgot how Old Arla was when it went down.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5082
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Just finished the book. I'd been avoiding this thread because I didn't want to be spoiled. Smile

All in all, I enjoyed it. I thought it was better than, say, Order 66. True, not much happened, but I loved having a mostly character driven book for a change. My main disappointment was that Fi and Atin barely got any page time. They've kinda been downgraded from major characters to bit players. I was also a bit annoyed at how much everyone (not including Darman; he has a right) was obsessing over Etain. Just seemed like she got a lot of page time for a dead character.

I did like how the whole anti-Jedi thing was downplayed a bit. Poor Scout, I felt so bad for her. Was really loving Jusik's character more than I have in previous books. Guess it was because he paused to think about why he thought the Mandos were so awesome. Favorite line in the whole book: "All right, so I was fodder for any cult. But you guys had the cool armor," Priceless.

Homework calls. Will expound more later.
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2851
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Just finished the book. I'd been avoiding this thread because I didn't want to be spoiled. Smile

All in all, I enjoyed it. I thought it was better than, say, Order 66. True, not much happened, but I loved having a mostly character driven book for a change. My main disappointment was that Fi and Atin barely got any page time. They've kinda been downgraded from major characters to bit players. I was also a bit annoyed at how much everyone (not including Darman; he has a right) was obsessing over Etain. Just seemed like she got a lot of page time for a dead character.

I did like how the whole anti-Jedi thing was downplayed a bit. Poor Scout, I felt so bad for her. Was really loving Jusik's character more than I have in previous books. Guess it was because he paused to think about why he thought the Mandos were so awesome. Favorite line in the whole book: "All right, so I was fodder for any cult. But you guys had the cool armor," Priceless.

Homework calls. Will expound more later.



See I saw Etain and Jusik as the focus point for them when it comes to Jedi, and Etain more so having Darman's child, in a way she was more important then say Jusik. Plus it gives them more of a reference to the fact that Jedi can be more then one way.

And since we have Jusik having issues with weather he's Mando to the core or not, it forces us to wonder what the core to being in any group is. For people are all free to interpretations, and as we see with Jusik he's concerned with what they think of him. I've noticed that IN a Clan this is important. Not so much when one's not with the clan.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Dancelittleewok
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 1154
Location: Kansas

Thread revived! *removes electrodes*

Sometimes I don't understand Karen Traviss logic.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

_________________
Observation: Life would be cooler if everyone spoke like HK-47.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3745
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

That can be put down to the character's prejudice, too (which I believe Traviss did share, too, despite her saying otherwise). Through such eyes, people don't see clearly. Attribute acts and target their anger and despair to the wrong people. And so Darman blamed the Jedi.

But, also, I wonder how much information he, a grunt on the ground, was getting about the coup. It could be that, through deft political manoeuvring, that Palpatine managed to successfully convince even his soldiers of what 'really' happened.
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.


View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield