NO Imperial Commando 2 from Traviss!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
NO Imperial Commando 2 from Traviss!
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just got wind of this over at sw.com. KT is not doing the sequel to 501st. Here is the link to her blog explaining this:

http://karentraviss.typepad.com/blog/2009/12/sooty-and-a-clean-sweep.html

I'm really not happy about this. Not because of losing KT, but for potentially losing this storyline.

Thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I am totally bummed by this. Crying or Very sad I really enjoyed her writing as well as the storyline and characters. It's the most fascinating of the EU I've read so far (Mind you, I've only started recently and started in storyline chronological order). I especially like a different point of view of the EU universe.

I'm less than 100 pages away from finishing IC501st #1 and am not really sure if it's even going to be resolved.

I understand Traviss's reasoning for leaving the SW universe, but that doesn't mean I like the outcome of it.

EDITED: Now I'm curious about how badly TCW screwed up Mandalore. Traviss left me with such a deep respect of Mandalore, the people, and the Clones that the change will be extremely disappointing to me.

Last edited by cbjfangirl on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was stunned, right now I am very disappointed. It was one thing to lose Traviss its another thing to have the CW show re-writing Mando history. I am trying to put it all in perspective and wait and see where this goes but its hard. At this time I am locked into thinking - OK GL you and Dave just spit on some material I loved for years by simply ignoring it. Oh well I think this is one of those times where I will put down the Star Wars books for a while and take a break.

I really don't understand what this change in Mando history will do to make Star Wars better. I understand the whole GL universe vs EU - but really? Do we need to alter it - is this going to further Anakin as a character? As a devoted fan who has spent time and money on these books I am very disappointed. I will get over it, its not the end of the world but I feel cheated and duped.

Couldn't they finish the series - make the fans happy - and then rewrite it? That would be enough to make me happy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really don't understand GL's thought process. He is the one who mandated having a continuity. There is a well established mando history by now, why change all this? If he feels that great a need to do so, great. Then state there is an EU continuity that is completely separate from film and TV. it's his universe and he can change it, but how about following the rules that YOU established.

I'm holding out hope for there being a sect of pacifist mando's and then the whole other crew of mando's we know and love. The pacifists can be from their Mandalore, while the other's can be from the Mandalore from the books. And then if they each consider themselves true mandos, that would explain why they each consider their planet mandalore.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Besides the Mando history now being totally out of wack, I find it mind-blowing that this series simply will not end. How can it? Will they bring in a different writer to do the book? Doesn't seem likely. I don't think there has ever been an unfinished Star Wars series before. This is very disappointing to Karen's fans.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Does anyone have a sense of fan reaction to this - not so much from Traviss fan but Mando fans out there?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

By the way - I emailed Traviss this morning to let her know I wish things had turned out differently and got nice supportive response. Her email address is on her blog if anyone is interested.

http://www.karentraviss.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well Sue Rostoni just said over on sw.com that reading that blog today was the first notice she has had that there will be no IC2 from KT. How could that be?

Is Sue not in the loop? don't think so

Miscommunication? possible I guess

Purposeful slight by a pissed off KT? also possible

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wow. I'm shocked and hurting....

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just found out the whole pacifist has already been retconned. So that just leaves me pissed. What exactly are KT's reasons for leaving then? It goes back to the contractual issues. I'm not liking this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

kurtdc wrote:
I just found out the whole pacifist has already been retconned. So that just leaves me pissed. What exactly are KT's reasons for leaving then? It goes back to the contractual issues. I'm not liking this.

I saw that too, its pretty weird. Its not the best overall situation, but it certainly seems like it would work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

comanderbly wrote:
kurtdc wrote:

I saw that too, its pretty weird. Its not the best overall situation, but it certainly seems like it would work.

Right, so that brings me back to the reason for bailing? Unless the retconn happened after she decided she could not go on. But.....if that were the case, it would have been clearly stated back then that there would be no IC2.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

kurtdc wrote:
comanderbly wrote:
kurtdc wrote:

Right, so that brings me back to the reason for bailing? Unless the retconn happened after she decided she could not go on. But.....if that were the case, it would have been clearly stated back then that there would be no IC2.

Yeah as for the Mandalorians- I still think what ever comes down TCW could be a separate group then the Death Watch and the Mando'ade groups like Kals.

As a Mando'ade fan, WHY why toss out EVERYTHING Karen made for the culture? I mean she gift wrapped a language for the fans, tied books to the games, that's what I don't get. Hence I'm waiting to see TCW touch the Mando's before I can say my FINAL Verdict.

But yes OMB- I am PISSED that this series will not end in her hands. I DO however hope SOMEONE finishes or carries on the series. Ryder Windham for one has been touted as the next Karen after Secret Missions. I could see Ryder getting the series, or Able. Boy that would rock!

But since I doubt it will I'll just be sad the series ended with now ending.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

It kind of seemed like KT was indicating that the she quit before the retconn was made. After all, Atlas was just a few months ago.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Old Master Ben wrote:
It kind of seemed like KT was indicating that the she quit before the retconn was made. After all, Atlas was just a few months ago.

Yeah.

But even that retcon is hoaky- what 730 BBY they became pacifists? And remained so up till the Clone Wars?

If so I just see it as another splinter group in the Mando culture.

-
-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 7