The Harry Potter Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Harry Potter Thread
 PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote  

Alright, I didn't see one of these so I think it's high time we have one. Not sure how many people out there have read the books or seen the movies, but this will be the place to discuss them.

Recently I've read all the books, and now I've started watching the movies. The first two movies were kind of neat as they brought the books to live giving imagery to what had only been words. Sure a lot of stuff got left out, but that's to be expected. For the most part the first two films: The Sorcerer's Stone and The Chamber of Secrets, stuck to the books and did a good job of bringing them to the big screen. And one thing that really stands out is the excellent casting.

There is a really good cast in these films. Even the smaller characters like Filch have excellent actors portraying their parts and some of them are just perfect for the roles. I found it funny that Warwick Davis is Professor Flitwick. He was also Wicket the Ewok and the evil leprechaun in the Leprechaun horror films, at least that's what I remember him by. He was also in Willow and a lot of other movies.

Sadly, Dumbledore was played by Richard Harris in the first two films, and he passed away after that. He was a superb Dumbledore, and it's a shame he couldn't do the part in the other films, especially since his replacement isn't as good.

Now I watch the third film last night, Prisoner of Azkaban, and it was a little different. It didn't follow the books as closely, and strayed away here and there. One of the biggest things that stood out to me was the fact that Siruis got clawed by a werewolf. Technically this means he should turn into a werewolf now since he was attacked, but I'm betting the director is just going to gloss over that little detail. There were other things, but not everything was bad. Buckbeat looked really cool, and Gary Oldman was an awesome Serious Black.

So now I open the floor to everyone else. Discuss! Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

haha finallly=D
I gotta say the movies just make me sad Crying or Very sad ..they absolutely take away everything i liked abt the series.
The Books are pure gold!! Very Happy
My fav wud hav to be Azkaban...and Half-Blood Prince.
Book2 was my least fav.
======
Its funny how movies usually get bashed a LOT rite...the only movie that doesnt get bashed is LOTR...eventhough they CUT sooooooooo many stuff from the books.
======
Talkin abt the wizarding world
...wats wid the portraits and them talking...Normally photos just move and dont talk...but yet some talk...
and...ooh...once at a fanpage...i once said that Snape had a crush on Harrys Aunt...i was close yes=D?? Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Warwick Davis was also in Prince Caspian as Nikabrik. Like I said, I'll probably get around to watching them, but until then no comment.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote  

I still haven't seen Prince Caspian. And as for Lord of the Rings, most of the key stuff was kept in. With the Harry Potter movies, I can't help feel that some of the stuff they changed wasn't really necessary. Sometimes it just feels sloppy or lazy. I watched The Goblet of Fire last night, and the maze was a real let down. In books the Professors were the ones to set the traps, but in the movie there wasn't any traps. I mean with some stuff, they're just trying to press the action, like with the flying scenes. But if they're trying to do that, then why did they cut all the good action parts from the maze?

At least Voldemort's scene was done well. I felt that was one of the few good parts to this one. Moody was alright.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I still haven't seen Prince Caspian. And as for Lord of the Rings, most of the key stuff was kept in. With the Harry Potter movies, I can't help feel that some of the stuff they changed wasn't really necessary. Sometimes it just feels sloppy or lazy. I watched The Goblet of Fire last night, and the maze was a real let down. In books the Professors were the ones to set the traps, but in the movie there wasn't any traps. I mean with some stuff, they're just trying to press the action, like with the flying scenes. But if they're trying to do that, then why did they cut all the good action parts from the maze?

At least Voldemort's scene was done well. I felt that was one of the few good parts to this one. Moody was alright.

The Maze really made me mad in the film, but the fact that the films cut out nearly all of the Twins (fred and george) bugs me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Never seen Harry Potter or read the books and I don't plan to. So, no comment. Smile

And Skuldren, Prince Caspian is awesome. You need to see it. Smile

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote  

You read Harry Potter, and I'll watch Caspian Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Darth Skuldren wrote:
You read Harry Potter, and I'll watch Caspian Very Happy

No can do. I've got a moral objection to Potter. This does not, however, excuse you from watching Caspian. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nicely said. However, I tend to not think of Harry Potter as evil (unlike, say, the Golden Compass) for two reasons.

1)I don't think J.K Rowling really knows what she's dealing with (like many a magician) and doesn't really mean harm.
2)I read about Boba Fett and he's an assassin. I'm not going to sign up to be a hitman because of it, just like HP fans (except for the really batty ones) aren't going to practice witchcraft.

Just my 2 cents and I'd be open to being convinced differently.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good points, Reep. I generally avoid Harry Potter and other similarly themed books/movies (Twilight, anyone?) that portray wizards/witches/vampires and other members of the occult as good because I believe that all forms of witchcraft are displeasing to God. I realize it's only for entertainment purposes, but it just makes me uncomfortable. This is a personal conviction and I have absolutely no issue with anyone who disagrees. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Are you against Lord of the Rings?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

No, not particularly. Of course, I've never seen them so I don't know exactly how the magic is portrayed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Vampires are part of the occult? I didn't know. Yeah, it does make a difference if magic is portrayed well *cough*Narnia*cough* I don't like books with hateful black magic (unless used by the bad guys, obviously), but mostly I see magic in stories as harmless.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Vampires are part of the occult? I didn't know. Yeah, it does make a difference if magic is portrayed well *cough*Narnia*cough* I don't like books with hateful black magic (unless used by the bad guys, obviously), but mostly I see magic in stories as harmless.

Well, think about people who really practice vampire-ism or whatever they call it. It's pretty cultic. And I'll agree that magic in like Disney movies is usually pretty harmless, but when it get to the level of, say, Harry Potter, it starts making me nervous.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote  

@ OMB: LOL, I was going to ask the same thing about Lord of the Rings.

@ Padme: so no Wizards at all?

I've never had a problem with wizards. They're simply a part of the whole Fantasy genre. Personally I think the idea of wizards are very interesting, especially to draw because of their funny outfits. I never see them as the occult. And as for Harry Potter, I think people overplay the whole witch and wizard aspect of it, or the whole spell thing, especially seeing how the witches and wizards need a wand in order to perform any magic. It really isn't any different than Jedi using the Force, other than the fact that it hits closer to home in being more realistic and possibly believable. But I guess the thing that really gets people is the fear that their children are going to read these and then go off and try performing some real life occult rituals. That in itself wouldn't be so bad if children didn't have access to the internet which will actually give them access to that crap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 6