What is the worst EU novel?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
What is the worst EU novel?
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

What would everyone consider to be the worst EU novel? I'm curious to read some people's opinions on this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I already thought about this so many times...

It's gotta be Zhan's "Allegiance"... a massive black hole of boredom...

Sorry, fans...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I thought Allegiance was okay, mainly because the characters come so close to interacting , mainly Mara Jade and Luke, but they then go different ways. I found it funny, but I can also see how some could find it boring.

Like before, I'm not a big fan of Barbara Hambly's titles; I just couldn't get drawn into them. Also, if a book deals with characters outside of the Skywalkers and Solos (which I've always said I've wanted), it takes me so long to get through them: took me months to get through Darth Bane: Path of Destruction and Death Star.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

So far, I'd have to say Jedi Trial.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm an odd fan...I enjoyed things like The Jedi Academy Trilogy that most people hated. However, I am a HUGE hater of Troy Denning and Jude Watson.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'd have to agree with Yodacappy, Jedi trial was too dense and sentimental. A very dumbed down version of Anakin Skywalker.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote  

Couldn't stand Han Solo at Stars End. Something about it just couldn't catch my interest. I had to literally force myself to read it. Oddly enough, that was the only book I ever had any difficulty with.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I absolutely hate the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy. *shudders* Horrors.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

What got me with that trilogy was the middle book and how it was divided into the three parts. I didn't enjoy Lando, Lobot, 3PO, and R2's story all that much so when it went on without interruption, it was hard to get through it. I'm not the biggest fan of the Mandalorian chapters placement in the Legacy of the Force books because I find them distracting, but they do get interrupted and I can get through the books more quickly. However, those are interesting chapters.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

Can't remember if I posted this here.
 PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I think the worst series was the Dark Nest trilogy. Why did I hate it?? To me, it just ended as "Hey, we caught UnuThul - let's try to re-had him and be on our way to the next story line." I feel it didn't resolve anything, it just ended as if it hit a brick wall and slid down - done.

That's my two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Foe me, I'm torn between the Lando Calrissian trilogy and The Crystal Star - both of these felt drawn out and at times was forcing myself to read them (just so I could finish them).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Books without the Solo's or Skywalkers are the worst.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JAT books are the worst when it comes to quality of writing and plotting, but there are more annoying books that are still much better written, like some recent work in LotF.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm probably gonna get crucified for saying this but...Star By Star. It wasn't so much a bad book as it was an abortion. It was intelligent, fast paced, and a huge build for Anakin Solo (personal favorite EU character). Then they killed him. After that it was just a mess. It was rushed, choppy, and confusing. Even the battle at Coruscant was poorly done. I like Denning, but the decision to kill Solo (which wasn't ordered by Lucas like everyone thinks, but rather a poor interpretation of what he wanted and a poor decision by the writiers and publicists) was one that shouldn't have been made, and I'll give him this. He did it well. He took a great character and gave him supernatural power in death. He felt the Vong in the Force. I was impressed, but after that the book was terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote  

Ah but it was such a glorious death, a warrior couldn't of asked for a better one.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 3