The Death Penalty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote  

Ah, but Darth Bane of all people was able to be captured, and I'd dare say he was as powerful as Palpatine. Thus it is conceivable that Palpatine could be caught and imprisoned, it's just likely that he would escape if he was ever given the slightest opportunity, thus he's high risk.

And just to play devil's advocate, let me try to defend poor old misunderstood Uncle Palps. Palpatine did indeed embrace the Dark Side, a quasi religious order similar to the Jedi Order in many regards, differing only in how they utilize the Force. But one cannot discriminate him solely on his choice of religious belief. Thus we must look to his actions.

Here you may point out the wars the Jedi 'claim' he started, or the difficult decisions he made as Emperor of the Galaxy, choices that often led to the death's of others. But all of those difficult decisions were done for the greater good. Palpatine wanted an overarching peace for the entire galaxy. In fact he was on the eve of completing his goal when it was foiled by the selfish actions of the Skywalkers.

End skewed defense. Very Happy

Perhaps a better question would be: is Palpatine really evil? Though that's probably worthy of it's own thread.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I would love to write in that thread. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

And just to play devil's advocate, let me try to defend poor old misunderstood Uncle Palps. Palpatine did indeed embrace the Dark Side, a quasi religious order similar to the Jedi Order in many regards, differing only in how they utilize the Force. But one cannot discriminate him solely on his choice of religious belief. Thus we must look to his actions.

Here you may point out the wars the Jedi 'claim' he started, or the difficult decisions he made as Emperor of the Galaxy, choices that often led to the death's of others. But all of those difficult decisions were done for the greater good. Palpatine wanted an overarching peace for the entire galaxy. In fact he was on the eve of completing his goal when it was foiled by the selfish actions of the Skywalkers.

This is one thing I don't like about Matt Stover and the whole point-of-view deal. It's such relativisim (aka a cop out). Rolling Eyes

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote  

Now I'm confused. That went right over my head.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Relativism is the belief that Right and Wrong are a point of view rather than a fact. So even though Matt Stover is a good author, I don't really enjoy his books as much as the average person. I might not mind it so much if relativism wasn't so ingrained in our society.

I'll stop now. Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote  

Ah, but if two people get into a fight, each will often think they are right. Typically the winner declares themselves to be truly right. And since none of us mortals is all knowing, it's fairly impossible to say who is truly right or wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Ah, but if two people get into a fight, each will often think they are right. Typically the winner declares themselves to be truly right. And since none of us mortals is all knowing, it's fairly impossible to say who is truly right or wrong.

Ah, but God knows. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

God ain't no mortal I've ever heard of. Razz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Exactly Smile

History determines who was right and wrong and that is penning in our books by the victor.

Truth is always about POV.

All truth.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That is true. Or is it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

It isn't. But we mortals often don't have the capacity to determine truth on our own.

Anyone else notice that this is so not about the death penalty anymore? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
It isn't. But we mortals often don't have the capacity to determine truth on our own.

Anyone else notice that this is so not about the death penalty anymore? Wink

Is not this just Gods POV as well? Though many say Gods POV is the Truth. But it's still one more POV Wink

I stand by it- Truth is always about POV.

And since people's views conflict one will say the other is wrong and vice verse. There is no single truth in life, Gods mysteries were to large for one truth.

and yes, we have.

But then these types of questions have a shelf life in forums.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Is not this just Gods POV as well? Though many say Gods POV is the Truth. But it's still one more POV Wink

I stand by it- Truth is always about POV.

And since people's views conflict one will say the other is wrong and vice verse. There is no single truth in life, Gods mysteries were to large for one truth.

and yes, we have.

But then these types of questions have a shelf life in forums.

Ah, but God's point of view is really the only one that matters. Ours is just based on man's limited vision. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Exactly. By saying relativism is right, you're already contradicting yourself because you just said nothing is right. And when people get in arguments, how can they even think they are right if there is no Right and Wrong. They have to be judging it on something.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Exactly. By saying relativism is right, you're already contradicting yourself because you just said nothing is right. And when people get in arguments, how can they even think they are right if there is no Right and Wrong. They have to be judging it something.

Nicely said, Reep. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 3 of 5