Crosscurrent by Paul S. Kemp Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree with others that pony-tails are a bit common among jedi. Smile What I like is seeing a non-solo/skywalker stepping into an important role in the jedi as well as EU. I also agree if time-travel is done 'right' it could be good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Time-travel. Mad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I personally love the concept of time travel and I can't wait to get this book. I just REALLY hope they don't mess up the continuity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's the thing. When you bring in time-travel consequences lose their meaning, if we mess something up catastrophically we can always fix it later. Rolling Eyes I really liked how Star Wars has stayed away from time-travel. I didn't mind and actually liked flow-walking, because you can relive older scenes without changing them.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
That's the thing. When you bring in time-travel consequences lose their meaning, if we mess something up catastrophically we can always fix it later. Rolling Eyes I really liked how Star Wars has stayed away from time-travel. I didn't mind and actually liked flow-walking, because you can relive older scenes without changing them.

I don't see this as time travel in the ST traditional sense. More that theses Sith will have a Hyperspace malfunction and will be sent one a NORMAL jump- but the jump will have really laster centuries. There will be NO GOING back.

That's how I see it going down anyway.

Cause otherwise- like you said- whole lot of bad thinks could happen to SW Sad

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The funny thing is people always act like Time Travel is new to SW.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Time_travel

The case I think we'll see is close to this:

Bosbit Matarcher, the 225-year-old man
Bosbit Matarcher.

In 212 BBY, Bosbit Matarcher engaged the hyperdrive on his Delemedian starhopper, intending to take a short trip from his homeworld of Delemede. Due to faulty relativistic shielding, what he experienced as a two-hour trip took 190 years from the perspective of the rest of the galaxy. His experiences brought him brief notoriety when he arrived in 22 BBY, resulting in a HoloNet News interview. Matarcher took the experience in stride, as his run-down homeworld had become prosperous in the meantime. However, he decided to let someone else fly him home.

Matarcher's trip may not be strictly defined as time travel to the future, as he did not "skip over" any period of time. Instead, time merely passed in a distorted manner for him due to the well-known effects of time dilation.

I see it closer to this then anything else. Though I'm not sure if I'd be upset or not if it was a Force power. But this way it's a "you can move FORWARD in time ONLY" route which I like. Playing with it can be dangerous- though without it- Anakin will never come back (not that I want to see that- tossing it out there for those who do wuauahah)

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

I don't see this as time travel in the ST traditional sense. More that theses Sith will have a Hyperspace malfunction and will be sent one a NORMAL jump- but the jump will have really laster centuries. There will be NO GOING back.

That's how I see it going down anyway.

Cause otherwise- like you said- whole lot of bad thinks could happen to SW Sad

Hmm.. I suppose I wouldn't mind that. That being said, onto the next issue, more Sith?! If this keeps going on for much longer I will be scared for Star Wars' future. Sad

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:

Hmm.. I suppose I wouldn't mind that. That being said, onto the next issue, more Sith?! If this keeps going on for much longer I will be scared for Star Wars' future. Sad

More Sith: I'm HOPING that these Sith will have some of the Sith Species!!! Think about it. If the Original Sith that Revan went after ended up dying out too (we don't know anything yet) then if any were on this one then we'd have OSIth back in the Legacy Era.

I find that fascinating.

-
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote  

Bump.

Okay, so I'm not very far into the book yet, but there is some very cool stuff right off the bat: Anzats, the One Sith, Naga Sadow Sith, an Askajian Jedi...awesome awesome awesome. I'm very surprised at how fresh this novel seems to be, and I'm loving the time period split because it fits in not only with the LOTF-FOTJ break, but also the Lost Tribe of the Sith ebooks.

Now if only I can convince myself to put down my 360 remote and step away from Mass Effect 2...

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished it yesterday. I loved it.

I am a bit leery about time travel, although I think it works in the was it happened in the book. Totally accidental and irreversible. The only gripe there is that you would think there would be more cases of such a thing happening.

I was surprised how much I liked this book, figuring it was not with any of the major characters, or of the RC/IC characters. Other than knowing when it was coming out, I didn't read any of the preview clips or the interview about it and I'm glad I didn't.

I also like the fact that it puts a little storyline in between LOTF and FOTJ. I'd love to see the next book. Since there is no mention of any of this activity in the FOTJ books, somehow it must be dealt with and considered a dead issue by then. The One Sith certainly can't be discovered.

Paul Kemp certainly has my vote to do more SW books.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote  

Finally finished it. (Good thing I can't play Mass Effect at work) I loved this book. It was refreshing, fun, amusing, tense, even gross, but it was wonderful. Jaden is now a Jedi I'd like to see more of. And the new supporting characters were awesome additions. I especially like the fact, as obscure as it is, that Khedryn has a lazy eye. Little touches like that throughout the book made this one a little different from others, at least it did for me. I think Paul S. Kemp will be a very promising Star Wars author.

One final thing I'd like to touch on is that I'm glad the Anzat have returned to their old perspective. The Anzat in this story was like the Anzat I remember in the Tales of Mos Eisley book (and was there on in Tales of Jabba's Palace?). In the comics they got a little carried away with the Anzati, revealing their planet, making them Jedi, etc. I like the fact that Kemp returned them to their dark, mysterious ways as Sci-Fi vampire boogey men.

Okay, one more thing: Darth Wyyrlok!!! Ha ha ha! Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote  

For those who have red Crosscurrent or don't mind spoilers...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm done. These are my thoughts.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote  

by "The Hole" are you referring to the whole Bar scene/chapter? That was actually one of my favorite parts. Up until then I was kind of board.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

STILL haven't gotten my hands on it. Sad

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 5 of 6