Jedi Knight IV Speculation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Knight IV Speculation
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Will it be made? Should it be made? By who? Speculate!

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My apologies if we aren't supposed to post in old topics, but this caught my fancy and I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Honestly, I doubt that Jedi Knight IV will ever be made. I grew up on Dark Forces II/Jedi Knight, and even though Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy were a long time coming, they never disappointed for me. As much as I liked the idea of a Star Wars FPS, evolving to become more focused on lightsaber duels excited me. Playing as Kyle's apprentice was cool, because of the opportunity to start from the ground up and it made more sense than playing as a Kyle Katarn who had to learn all the powers he shouldn't have to.

LucasArts hasn't impressed me since Jedi Academy, though. It's deluge of prequel video games ranged from pretty good to abysmal (I'm not including the Rogue Squadron games, which I loved, because they don't really fit the mold and they were Factor 5 games more than LucasArts internal development), and the cash cow right now is The Clone Wars. Like it or not, we'll keep getting beat in the face with Clone Wars video games until we're knocked unconscious.

Then you have The Force Unleashed, which represents a step backwards (in my opinion) from the gameplay introduced in Jedi Academy. Streamlined powers, awful camera angles and poor character manipulation, boring locales that have to be revisited, and a less impressive storyline. And yet, we're getting a sequel.

I think it's fair to say that if Jedi Knight IV were to exist, it would almost assuredly take place during the Yuuzhan Vong War. Which, frankly, would be awesome. The Yuuzhan Vong would make for a much better enemy than a resurgent Empire or random Dark Jedi sects. It could introduce new gameplay, satisfy the plethora of NJO fans dying to play a game set in that era and let's be honest... it would sell really well. Couldn't you just imagine? With the right marketing, the chance to engage in a real war with your Jedi character? Maybe include a second campaign that follows a Yuuzhan Vong warrior, and have war-time scenarios in online multiplayer between the Jedi and Vong?

Sad to say, I learned long ago that what seems like an obvious winner to fans doesn't necessarily mean it will get made. Many gamers, myself included, clambered for Perfect Dark on the Xbox Live Arcade as early as 2006, yet it wasn't until just a week ago that Rare released the game on the XBLA. And sadly, they've publicly said that they realized that game's potential on the XBLA only about a year ago.

Whether or not LucasArts thinks that a game like Jedi Knight IV would be viable today, what they should do is port the old Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games to the XBLA, PSN and WiiWare. If they want to do HD upgrades or release them as relics, either way... I think they'll sell well. And if they don't, they'll certainly sell enough to recoup the money it took to port the games. I fully expect this to happen before we hear an inkling of Jedi Knight IV, and it will certainly point to the open possibility.

So will Jedi Knight IV be made? Anything is possible, but sadly... I doubt the potential for greatness will be realized for quite some time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Whether or not LucasArts thinks that a game like Jedi Knight IV would be viable today, what they should do is port the old Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games to the XBLA, PSN and WiiWare

That is quite a good idea. I don't see them going to Wii or PS3, but since they are already on Steam, I could see a version of Jedi Outcast or Academy-- ones, that perhaps, can retain the ability to play multiplayer once it ends on April 15.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote  

Probably the best way to test the water would be to release updated versions of this game (and other classics for that matter) that take advantage of graphic improvements, multiplayer improvements and/or control improvements (joysticks for example are much better/more complex than they were when the classics came out). I'm willing to bet plenty of people would rebuy the game just for the updates and it would introduce lots of new gamers who might have never played the game before (thus making it in essence brand new).

I'm no computer expert but I would think it would be cheaper to take an existing game and update it than it would be to create a whole new game from the ground up.

Page 1 of 1