The Music Industry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Music Industry
 PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Are you pleased with the current popular artists? Do you enjoy the genres that are popular now (pop, rap)? Is there a un-known artist that you think we should know abou?

Discuss, praise, and complain about music here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote  

Well I'm still listening to the rock genre, so I guess I'm old school, but I'd say Nickelback is still a rather popular group, and Kid Rock certainly mixes it up between all the genres. I don't listen to pop, rap, or R&B. I'm just a rock and country person.

Now as far as "un-known" or at least underrated artists go, I'm a big fan of Jackyl, Rhino Bucket, and Airbourne. Jackyl got some fame from their debut album, but the others haven't gotten much attention. I like all their albums, though some songs are definitely better than others.

Rhino Bucket has been around a while and their songs pop up every great once in a while in a movie (Wayne's World I or II, I don't remember which, and The Wrestler). On their last couple albums they've had AC/DC's old drummer, Simon Wright, and on some of their albums, other member's of AC/DC helped produce them. They have a Bon Scott-sound singer, but sometimes he gets a little carried away with screaming the lyrics. My favorite song by them is the acoustic version of "I Was Told." Great song and mellow so anyone can enjoy it. No screaming Wink

Airbourne is a newer band who just released their second album. They've had a lot of their songs promoted here in there in different medias, especially videogames, and with their new album they're actually getting some radio play on my local rock station in St. Louis.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber are the most talented musicians ever.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber are the most talented musicians ever.

A small part of me died when I read that...

I'm goin through a huge Oasis phase...again...I love the heck outta em. (What's the Story) Morning Glory is one of the best albums ever released. I'm with Skuldren on the rock thing, listening to bands like RED or Breaking Benjamin. For soft stuff its all about the Shins, Broken Bells, or Death Cab for Cutie.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Eh, the music industry. While there are plenty of good artists around, it seriously blows my mind how many people are getting rich and famous when they have no talent whatsoever. This just shouldn't be.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

With the possible exception of Owl City, new, popular music doesn't do a thing for me. Aside from not really liking the sound, the lyrics are really shallow and mundane.

I'll stick with my unknowns. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I honestly think the music industry jumped the shark with their legal insanity. Not so much going after violators but who they targeted and how they went about it is absolutely awful IMHO. I am a big fan of paying a flat subscription fee for full open access to music. Obviously we need a system and rates, but all the DRM garbage, only being able to download music you buy to this app or that is not working for me. If its a band I like I am willing to shell out the cash for the album, but I think that its time for some full access solutions.

As for my tastes I am all over the place - everything from rock - jam bands - reggae - folk - jazz blues. I tend to shy away from some dance music, rap and hiphop - but again if its good I'll give it a shot.

Some of the new (to me) bands I like are:
Spoon, Driveby Truckers, and Fiction Family

I find new music on lastfm and pandora mostly. We also have a good radio station in Boulder that has exposed me to some new bands (driveby truckers).

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My thoughts are that the music industry screwed themselves up by A) charging rediculous prices for CD's and B) not embracing and finding a way to regulate downloading. Have I ever downloaded a CD for free? Yes, when I was impatient for the real deal and I could get it early. HOWEVER, I would then purchase the actual disc when it was released. Personally, I like the artwork, liner notes and all that good stuff.

One of the biggest problems with the music industry collapsing is that bands no longer have label support. Back in the day, many bands took 2-4 records to really find their own sound and style. These days, that will never happen. You don't have a hit and a following by record #2, you are out of luck for the most part.

I'm mostly a rock and metal kinda guy(this summer I'll be going to see Bon Jovi, Slayer/Megadeth and hopefully Rush).

Bands that I like that are not too well known:

Lamb of God(despite the name of the band, the lyrics are of personal demons and politics, nothing religious, or anti-religion, at all).

I've recently heard a cd from a band called Wilco. I don't know how popular they are, but if you like the beatles(later years), you'll like these guys.

Acoustic guitar music: A guy called Mark Curry. His first disc(probably 12 or so years old by now) was excellent. I know he's released at least one more, but I mainly got into the first one(It's Only Time).

Mastodon, a very unorthodox heavy band. Strange, but very good.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If anyone's interested Oasis's big final compilation is coming out. You wanna talk about popular music, well no one else has been as popular in the tabloids. Fantastic musicians though!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1