Jedi Mary Sues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Mary Sues
 PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote  

I've been rereading Betrayal lately, and the idea has occurred to me that Jedi have become too powerful. I think some of the authors are making the Jedi into Mary Sue like characters who are generally better than every non-Force using person at everything. Plus some of their powers are a little carried away. For instance the Jedi danger sense. With this one power, author's make Jedi impossible to kill and infallible in combat. Of course this is over stating the situation, but that's how it feels. If a Jedi is driving at high speeds in traffic, their danger sense prevents them from crashing because they miraculous sense every bit of danger. If a Jedi is in a fight, they can block every blaster bolt no matter how many enemies they encounter or how skilled they are. And if a Jedi is in a starfighter, they're instantly ace pilots.

Now there are exceptions. Nameless Jedi die every so often, and sometimes they even kill a Jedi master. But on the whole, to me, it feels like the Jedi need to be taken down a notch. I'd like to read more about the mistakes Jedi Knights make, rather than them commonly pulling off feats that I think should be reserved for Jedi masters. I'd also like to see more padawan type Jedi who are very inexperienced and are in mentorship roles.

But the thing I'd like to see most of all is non-Force users who are genuine experts at their craft upshowing Jedi who are not experts at that skill. Just because you have the Force does not mean you're an expert at anything, it simply gives you an edge, and I think that edge is being overplayed.

I'm done venting. Feel free to chime in or disagree

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hmm... I always liked that actually. I can see your point that Knights and Padawans, specifically, could be toned down a notch, but I love seeing Jedi Masters in all their glory.

Now as for Han never losing a draw...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Hmmm, while this is true in the post-NJO era, we must remember all the Old Republic "Padawans-who-can't-do-anything-right". To me, that's just as annoying.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote  

Good point. There are a lot of misfit padawans in the that era. Even Crosscurrent did that. Though the Darth Bane books didn't follow that trend. The Jedi seemed rather capable in those books, as did Bane's Sith apprentice. With the TOR books coming out, they'll have a good chance to either reinforce this or break the trend.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like diversity of force powers, but I agree that non-force users should be able to handle force users better when they are in fact experts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1