The Downfall of Pop Culture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Downfall of Pop Culture
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lets hear some opinions on todays pop culture. Maybe why it sucks so much? I mean, people like Beiber, Miley, and Gaga running around and people are just eating it up. Pathetic much?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote  

I would say I'm not a fan of pop culture, but then again, I do read Star Wars books, which I would consider pop culture, and I did read Harry Potter, which was definitely pop culture. But I don't get swept away by it. I never went to any midnight releases of Harry Potter. And I do watch some reality shows, which is another pop culture craze. As far as pop music culture, maybe some of the alternative bands I listen to might be considered pop, but I'm not a screaming follow-everything-that-they're-doing fan.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pop culture= Neutral Not always though...

Basically I pick things because I like them whether or not they're popular. If they are great, if not oh well. There are times when I try something just because I thin 6 billion people can't be wrong and I'm often disappointed.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Same here. If I happen to like whatever is popular, great. If not, I don't bother with it.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
There are times when I try something just because I thin 6 billion people can't be wrong and I'm often disappointed.

See, I thought that about Avatar...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hey, I actually liked Avatar. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Hey, I actually liked Avatar. Wink

Let's not start that again...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pop culture is tricky, and I think we often remember our own pop culture as children as the "Golden Age." I mean really, what could beat TMNT, the SNES and Power Rangers, right?

Well, I'm sure others would disagree lol. But as for its current state, I don't have a problem with it. Just a decline in quality, I think. At least, if the MTV Movie Awards was any indication.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't know, I like some things that are considered pop culture. I caved and started watching True Blood with the wife, and these days anything vampire seems to be pop culture.

On the other hand, other than my kids and my buddy tony at the gym, I don't personally know anyone who digs star wars(at least other than just the movies). So I'm kind of a loner in that around here.

And musically I'm definitely a metal head. I've got some friends who like some of the stuff I listen too, but most of don't like the really heavier stuff I like. On the other hand, I'm not one of the metal dudes that hates everything else. I can't stand the cookie cutter pop stuff, but there is good poppy stuff out there. Besides, with the wife in the car it's not like I have control of the radio!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hey, movie enthusiasts dig Star Wars too... Razz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Popular culture (commonly known as pop culture) is the totality of ideas, perspectives, attitudes, memes, images and other phenomena that are deemed preferred per an informal consensus within the mainstream of a given culture, especially Western culture of the early to mid 20th century and the emerging global mainstream of the late 20th and early 21st century. Heavily influenced by mass media, this collection of ideas permeates the everyday lives of the society. By contrast, folklore refers to the cultural mainstream of more local or pre-industrial societies.

Popular culture is often viewed as being trivial and dumbed-down in order to find consensual acceptance throughout the mainstream. As a result, it comes under heavy criticism from various non-mainstream sources (most notably religious groups and countercultural groups) which deem it superficial, consumerist, sensationalist, and corrupted.

The term "popular culture" itself is of 19th century coinage, in original usage referring to the education and "culturedness" of the lower classes. The term began to assume the meaning of a culture of the lower classes separate from and opposed to "true education" towards the end of the century, a usage that became established by the interbellum period. The current meaning of the term, culture for mass consumption, especially originating in the United States, is established by the end of World War II. The abbreviated form "pop culture" dates to the 1960s.

It's trendy- as each generation finds its niche, and the last group to "Control" the pop culture feels the "sting" that COUNTLESS older kids felt upon becoming adults.

Heck I'm 30 and to a degree still feel as 17 in mind/ spirit, but that's only cause right now- what I grew up with G.I.-Joe, TMNT, Transformers, are all hits Star Wars is big, it's a great time to be Geek. the other hand, I hate that Poke mon Yugioh Natato Digimon BS Laughing

But the other thing is that the internet has made way for YOUNGER KIDS to have a say!! 4- and 5 year old opinions are starting to effect things. A parent plays something for their kid, their kids love it the end up playing it over and over and over.

But Gaga- her sound is very late 80s mid 90s to a degree. In those cases you see a lot of "Recycled style" but she's got a very sophomoric humor to her lyrics.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pop culture has been going downhill throughout it's existence, it's one of those things that looks better with a distance of decades, and often awful when happening around us. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 1