My Radical Idea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
My Radical Idea
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just had a thought. What if every person had to have a mandatory police check every ten years or so? Just think nearly everyone (who has a social security number, that is) who is involved in a crime of some sort will be caught.

One of the objections the government might have is overcrowded prisons. That's the way things would be for a while, but people would be scared into shape pretty quickly. From there crime rates dramatically decrease only at the expense of overcrowded prisons for the first little while.

The other obvious objection is the invasion of privacy, but the way I see it- if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide.

Even to my ears this sounds pretty radical and I'm sure there's a fatal flaw in it, but right now it seems like it would be good solution. Your thoughts?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote  

I have an even more radical idea: mandatory law enforcement service. In some countries, at least in the past, it was mandatory to server a term in the military. I'd like to do that for law enforcement. Everyone gets a turn. Would cut down on long term corruption.

As for a mandatory police check. What do you mean by that? I don't really know what's involved with a police check.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A fair number of employers require background checks which look at people's criminal background. Personally I think a periodic background check would be hard to enforce and I am not sure I see the immediate benefit.

I agree with you partly DS. I think that people should do some service but should be allowed to choose the service. If they would rather be a teacher, for example, than work in law enforcement that would be ok by me - I bet some schools are more dangerous than some towns law enforcement. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hm, not a bad idea, Reep. Smile

But DS... I don't think I have to guts to be part of the pow-leese... Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Interesting idea and it might work. But then you might have the issue of the justice system being clogged with people who illegally downloaded music or some such thing along with the murderers.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@DS. I forget what all is covered in a police check. I know there is a urine test or something to that effect and that in itself would put a lot of people behind bars.

@Padme. Like I said, overcrwded prisons would certainly be a problem early on and I'm not sure how they would deal with that (send them to a prisons orbiting the earth?) Eventually though, crime rates should go way down and in the long run, prisons would have less expense.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote  

Okay, so is this "police check" different than a police background check? A police background check just looks at your record, and that wouldn't achieve anything as far as catching criminals because it's simply a record of stuff you've already been caught doing. You're "police check" sounds more like random drug testing.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

To tell you the truth I'm not really sure. Random house inspections are also part of it, I believe.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So many criminals and regular people who think the government already has more power then they need would go off the grid.

Think about this: The constitution states we have the right to bear arms against our government if it's corrupt.

In this current day and age- after all the Palpatine like things Bush Jr set up, (Homeland security, wiretaps, background checks on a whim) can we? no you can't- you'd be labeled "Terrorist" and removed.

Some politician will be taking advantage of this someday....

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yes that would definitley be a problem. The thing is though what do you have to hide? If you're living a clean life and everything, you'll be fine. I will say that even I'm not entirely convinced this is the way to do things, because it seems a little too good to be true (like smiling, charismatic, plastic-haired speakers). Just a little creepy.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Yes that would definitley be a problem. The thing is though what do you have to hide? If you're living a clean life and everything, you'll be fine. .

It's not about hiding. What are they doing with all our information? Is it safe? Can they guarantee that? Can they even make such a statement? We've seen countless foul ups in government.

And if the government were to go corrupt what would then be normal might not be tomorrow.

And who knows.... laws are a very convoluted place.

Look what Jacen Solo did in less then a year with one loop whole!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

"If you have nothing to hide..." Ah, well that's the kicker, isn't it? What does the Government consider wrong at this point in time? What if they consider the Christian religion to be wrong? Personally I have no intentions of denouncing the God I believe in and serve, so they would lock me right up for being a Christian. I wouldn't consider that something I need to hide, because I am currently a Christian, and I have nothing to hide where that is concerned. But one day, that might be a criminal offense. So that's why I have a problem with that idea. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
"If you have nothing to hide..." Ah, well that's the kicker, isn't it? What does the Government consider wrong at this point in time? What if they consider the Christian religion to be wrong? Personally I have no intentions of denouncing the God I believe in and serve, so they would lock me right up for being a Christian. I wouldn't consider that something I need to hide, because I am currently a Christian, and I have nothing to hide where that is concerned. But one day, that might be a criminal offense. So that's why I have a problem with that idea. Confused

If the government ever starts makes religion a criminal offense, I'm leaving the country.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Old Master Ben wrote:
Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

If the government ever starts makes religion a criminal offense, I'm leaving the country.

They'd be waiting for everyone "traitor" enough to flee the country if it ever got that bad. That's just it- we'll surrender our Liberty in the name of Security for freedom, but with out Liberty you have no freedoms.

Lets all hope it never gets that bad Smile

-
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Allright the chink in my armour has been found. I'll concede to these points. If my country ever banned Christianity, I might stay around just to boycott. Smile Unless, of coourse, they shoot me...

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 2