Randomt thought on life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Amen Autobon... I despise Answers in Genesis with a passion. I go there sometimes when I need a good laugh, actually.

Have any of you heard of Francis Collins? He was the head of the Human Genome Project, and he is a devout Christian. He also accepts the theory of Evolution, however. He wrote a whole book called The Language of God, and it was a very good read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Collins_%28geneticist%29 , More info on him and includes links to his book. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Autobon wrote:

This is why I am a strong believer in "I dont know." The bible is not a science book. It doesnt answer questions like how old is the earth. It doesnt talk about things like aliens, or other worlds. I mean are we the only world God ever created with people in his entire eternal existence? I dont know. So ya, not everything can be answered, nor should we waste our time.

Honestly, a lot of this stuff doesnt even matter. Who CARES how old the earth is? The bible is about God's plan for people, about how he loved us and wants to have a personal relationship. Its an instruction manual for how to live our lives. It was never meant to explain all this stuff some Christians get carried away with. That said, everything historically or scientifically expressed in the bible is 100% true.

Absolutley agree.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That said, everything historically or scientifically expressed in the bible is 100% true.

Sorry, I just can't buy that. Not only that, being raised catholic, many priests I grew up with stated many of the stories were there for the meaning, not necessarily specifically accurate in detail(parting the waters, feeding thousands with handfuls of food, all the children that descended from adam and eve?!, etc). I personally think the book is primarily fables designed to give you a code to live life and/or a fear of god so that you live the right way, mixed with a little bit of historical accuracy.

Another of my problems with the 100% true part is this: most of these stories were passed on my word of mouth for hundreds of years. Seriously, over a weekend a story can get blown out of proportion. Let alone over years.

I don't mean to offend, this is just my viewpoint. My personal beleif is to live life as a fairly honest person. Treat people with respect, love and take care of your family and all should be good. And IF there is some magical eutopia out there and we live that way, we should end up there anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

hey kurtdc, I will reply to you in the faith thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 14 of 14