TOR Book 1: Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
TOR Book 1: Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote  

Based off the upcoming MMO, Fatal Alliance will be the first book (so far two books will be released on the game) and will be written by Sean Williams (Who wrote the Force Heretic trilogy and The Force Unleashed novel). Fatal Alliance is scheduled to be released on July 20, 2010 and will be a hardcover.

Click to read the blurb...
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am feelin' the cover - fo sho!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So... is this gonna be based on the main stroryline of the game or just a random story in that era?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really hope this turns out good... but I'd be a lot more excited if "SEAN WILLIAMS" wasn't on the cover. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote  

Well the game is going to be a MMO, so I don't think it would really have a storyline, but then I haven't been following TOR too closely so maybe I'm wrong on that. Just reading the blurb for the book though, I think it doesn't have much to do with any main story line for the game, it's just a tie-in novel to help market the game.

That said, from the sound of the blurb and the from Sean William's work on TFU, I'm not sure what to expect. I don't think it's going to be as boring as TFU was, and I think it will have a storyline that is separate and not tied down by the game, but I'm not sure how well William's will spin the story. I have higher hopes for the TOR book Kemp is writing. Yet that also helps curb my expectations for Fatal Alliance, which might actually help it and make it more enjoyable for me (seeing as I have such low expectations for it).

At least the cover looks cool. Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well the game is going to be a MMO, so I don't think it would really have a storyline, but then I haven't been following TOR too closely so maybe I'm wrong on that. Just reading the blurb for the book though, I think it doesn't have much to do with any main story line for the game, it's just a tie-in novel to help market the game.

I'm thinking it'll be a lot like Ruins of Dantooine, which was based off the Star Wars Galaxies MMO. Hopefully not as poorly written, though...

And yes, it's pretty awesome how lowered expectations can lead to a better viewing experience. But if I keep thinking that, then I might accidentally raise them! Razz

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The Cinematic trailer for the Old Republic is SO NICE.
that i wudnt mind an entire season wid those graphics...
not to mention the amazing animation and detail!!!!

imagine EU getting a season...wid such graphics....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well the game is going to be a MMO, so I don't think it would really have a storyline, but then I haven't been following TOR too closely so maybe I'm wrong on that. Just reading the blurb for the book though, I think it doesn't have much to do with any main story line for the game, it's just a tie-in novel to help market the game

If one believes Bioware, TOR will be all about stories and it will not be a sandbox game more in the style of Galaxies. Fleshing out the setting, introducing classes in the game, increasing the hype seems what this book is set out to do. Probably there will be some game characters at least in minor roles.

Wookieepedia claims that this novel is set in 3650 BBY, Threat of Peace comic happening in 3653 BBY and the game about ten years after that. I haven't seen any source for that 3650 BBY date, so perhaps it's just an approximate date?

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we will get a third TOR novel published at the exact date when the game comes out - although Fatal Alliance's paperback version might come out close to the currently guessed Wink launch date in summer 2011.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There's an audio preview available:

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307736963

I can't tell if it's the writing that is awful, or the reading.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Great find, Zero! And I didn't think it was that bad. But I do have to say the reader was rather annoying. I felt like I was 4 years old. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote  

This book is out today...sooo anyone planning on getting it? (Note: Amazon has it listed for half-price, and since this is another hardback, that's a pretty good deal)

I'm a little hesitant to go out and buy it. First off it's a hardback, secondly Sean William's last Star Wars novel, The Force Unleashed, didn't sit well on me, and since this is another book on a videogame, I'm leery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I know two people who have it - both say it's been great so far (into about three chapters). I'm probably going to buy it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Old Master Ben wrote:
I know two people who have it - both say it's been great so far (into about three chapters). I'm probably going to buy it.

Yep - I agree. Only three chapters in, but its good stuff. I particularly like the description of the era:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not sure if or when I'm going to pick this up.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Saw this one at the bookstore. Skimmed over the first couple chapters and nothing really jumped out at me, so I think I'll wait for the library to get it.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 3