Our Novels
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Our Novels
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I know me and Caedus_16 are writing books and a few more of us write fanfiction so you can talk about your ideas, excitement and frustration here.

I used to write comics when I was young. In fact I started before I knew how to spell and I wrote squiggly lines in place of the words in the speech bubbles. If anyone wanted to read it, I had to be standing by to translate it for them. Laughing When I was maybe 10 or 11, I got inspired by (what else?) Star Wars and I decided to write a series of books called Cat Guardians about warrior cats. I still plan on finishing it, simply because I adore the characters, but it will take some time to make it uncheesey and unjuvenile. After that I decided to write a fantasy, incorporating how I feel about the potential effects of public school, but it started getting preachy and I put it on the shelf again. Someday I'll start woking on them again, but right now I have an idea that I'm much more excited about. It's going to be based on dreams I've had since I was young. It's still early on in the planning stages, but this is coming a lot easier than the others did.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha well since Reep posted the basis I guess I will to. I warn you, its trippy and this is just a cut and paste of my outline so the names 'asian' and 'candace' and all are characters based on people I know. Yes, I'm aware its odd I call my Chinese friend 'Asian'. Its just how I was introduced to him. But yes, read and thoughts. I'm still doing viral research for it so ya.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

That's my magnum opus ladies and gentlemen. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Reep

Animals using weapons and such has always been a favorite of mine. If you need inspiration for losing the juvinality and such then I recommend the Redwall series of books. Its animals and such living in castles but its very well written. Brian Jacques writes them and I recommend Outcast of Redwall[/u], Martin the Warrior, Mossflower, and Taggerung. They're amazing books for the most part and those are just the tiny bit of the awesome that is redwall.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Haha well since Reep posted the basis I guess I will to. I warn you, its trippy and this is just a cut and paste of my outline so the names 'asian' and 'candace' and all are characters based on people I know. Yes, I'm aware its odd I call my Chinese friend 'Asian'. Its just how I was introduced to him. But yes, read and thoughts. I'm still doing viral research for it so ya.

Shocked Caedus...that's amazing! I would read that book in a heartbeat. I have rarely seen a plot so powerful! Sounds like you'd need several books to get the job done, however. I think squeezing it into one volume would rush it a little too much. But I'm extremely intrigued! Hats off to you, my man. That is pure genius. I find the idea of your ending extremely powerful. I can't even imagine pondering through the implications. If you ever get it written/published, be sure to let us know! I'll be your first customer. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have been writing fan-fiction off and on for the last 2 years. Mostly unfinished work that either dead-ends or I just ended up not liking. I share most of what I write with my wife, who agrees that I am getting better all the time. I have also shared some of it with friends who also write in their free time - but they are not Star Wars fans so it usually is lost on them.

In the last 2 months I have started working on a short story about a group of people with paranormal powers (I know it sounds so original Smile ). Its going to cover how one person escapes the 'hospital' where they are held. If its well received by my friends I will probably expand on it.

I feel when I write Star Wars fan-fiction I get lost in the details or basically end up with some role-playing material. I thought writing outside Star Wars would help me focus more and I would say that so far that is the case.

My biggest problem is probably grammar - no shortage of ideas. I really want to share my short story when its finished, the Star Wars stuff I have done is just not that good in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:

Wow - sounds awesome. I hope you keep us updated!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Commanderbly

As it turns out I loan my services out for money at my local college campus as a proofreader and editor. I'm always happy to help with those writing, and with fellow star wars nerds its all free of charge Wink

@Mara

I had originally planned 4 books. The first would be the catalyst that starts it all and begins the virus. The second would be the hard science of it all, the outbreak, the beginning of the end of civilization. The third would have been the action as the character sank into insanity and infiltrated and destroyed the final remnant of humanity 300 years later. The fourth would have been philosophical and have taken place at different periods after that as the different characters appeared to him (whether its real or not is ambiguous) and it would continue until the eventual supernova. The only problem is that it would've been boring and too short to anyone who wasn't a massive fan at that point so I decided to combine 3 and 4 together.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@ Mara again

The ending was originally just the supernova. The epilogue was actually inspired by my ex-beloved miss Rachel. I let her read the outline and she likes happy endings and suggested the whole thing either be a nightmare the character was having or that God had given him a second chance. Meanwhile I wanted it to be considered over with his death because I thought it was kind of beautiful and lo, the ambiguous ending was born Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree on the trilogy aspect. I think it would make an excellent trilogy. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Caedus_16 Thanks! I may take you up on that!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

comanderbly wrote:
@Caedus_16 Thanks! I may take you up on that!

Just PM me anytime bro Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus_16 wrote:
@ Mara again

The ending was originally just the supernova. The epilogue was actually inspired by my ex-beloved miss Rachel. I let her read the outline and she likes happy endings and suggested the whole thing either be a nightmare the character was having or that God had given him a second chance. Meanwhile I wanted it to be considered over with his death because I thought it was kind of beautiful and lo, the ambiguous ending was born Razz

Oh, the nightmare is no good for me. After a story that powerful, you can't just say "and he woke up, knowing it was all a dream." Wink But a cool thing you could do is build up speculation in the book of that possibility.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I had what I considered to be a terrific story idea for a prequel to TFU, but I never wasted my time writing it. A) It didn't fit in canon at all. B) Any Star Wars writing becomes fanfic, especially if it doesn't even fit canon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Caedus_16. I've read the first Redwall book and I've been meaning to read the rest. As it stands right now, they're more like superheroes than anything, but I haven't thought of making it a little medievil. Hmm...
Epic story idea btw.

Here's my idea (roughly):
There's a guy (working name: Wes) has been having dreams about a girl his whole life. In his dreams she's in this dancing hall and she can't get out (I'm not sure why. It could be something along the lines of a curse, but I'm not sure how fantastical I want to make it). Over time they almost grow up together in their dreams and then Wes somehow finds out that she's real and he has to rescue her from the dancing hall.

I had this idea in my head for a while because of dreams I've had. But I was thinking about the scene where they finally meet each other for the first time, but they already know each other so well. I thought it could end up being pretty powerful.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

@Caedus: Wow, that outline is amazing! I'd totally read those books. Although, the ambiguous ending would likely drive me slightly mad. Wink

@Reep: You know I'd always be interested in anything about the effects of public school. Wink

Props to everyone who's actually seriously written. I have tons of stories in my head, but I've only ever written two of them down. One was a shameless self-insert I wrote when I was 13 or so, and I try not to think about. The other is much more recent, and according to one person I let read it, is much better. But I'm almost scared to go on with it because I'll be disappointed if it doesn't match the vision in my head. *shrug*

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 3