2013:What will the last major novel of Del Rey's contract be
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

In 2013 the last year of Del Rey's contract what do you want the last SW novel to be about?
a)A Post-Fate of the Jedi bridge novel to another 9-book series coming
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
b)The final adventure of Luke,Han and Leia
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
c)A Skywalker family adventure with Luke,Mara and Ben by Tim Zahn
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
d)A Second sequel novel to Allegiance by Tim Zahn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
e)A sequel to Shadows of Mindor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
f)A novel about a second Outbound Flight to another galaxy in the Legacy era
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

2013:What will the last major novel of Del Rey's contract be
 PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I can't wait for 2013 because that's the last year of Del Rey's current contract and I was wondering what the last novel of Del Rey's contract will be coming Christmas 2013?

Will it be a post-Fate of the Jedi novel perhaps a bridge novel to another 9-book series coming in 2014(If DR renews the contract)?

The Final adventure of Luke,Han and Leia set years after Fate of the Jedi by Matt Stover?

A Skywalker family adventure with Luke,Mara and Ben Skywalker by Timothy Zahn set just before Legacy of the Force?

A second sequel novel to Allegiance by Timothy Zahn but set between TESB & ROTJ?

A sequel to Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor by Matt Stover?

Or even a novel about a second Outbound Flight and an adventure in another galaxy outside the SW galaxy with the Skywalkers and Solos in the Legacy era?

Bring on 2013!!!!!!

Exclamation Very Happy Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Umm... that's thinking a little far ahead, don't you think? First thing's first.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I don't think it's too early to think about what SW novels are coming in 2013. Maybe we'll hear some annoucments about them at San Diego Comic Con or Celebration V.

I just hope we get a SW novel in 2013 not only with the Big 3 and co. post-FOTJ but that will rock the SW universe since HTTE,VOTF,the end of NJO or LOTF.

Exclamation Cool Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Not only am I anxious to know what SW novels will be coming out in 2013 but what will the November 2011 unassigned hardcover or the February 2012 hardcover be? I'm just curious to know if there will be anymore Big 3 novels besides the reaminder of FOTJ and Tim Zahn's novel Choices. I like Big 3 novels the best because duh! I grew up with them on the big screen as a kid in the early 80's.

Exclamation Very Happy Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I'm not going to vote because my option isn't in there.

A) I can't put my support behind a post-FotJ novel because I'm not sure how the series is going to end up. Right now, I do enjoy it. It's had its high and low points, but as a consumer, I can't stomach another 9-book series. Especially all hardcovers. I'm not against a post-FotJ novel, but I don't want it to be a bridge novel for another drawn out series. I'd actually like that time period to take a breather.

B) I'll never support a "Final Adventure" story. Ever. I'm sure that the day will come when LFL could use a bit of money and publicity, and they'd definitely get it with their telling of the final story of Luke, Han and Leia. But with Lucas's hand in the pot, it'll become a multimedia event. It'll be a big deal. Personally, I don't want to see it happen because who wants to see their childhood heroes die? I don't. It's not a story that needs to be told.

C) I wouldn't be adverse to a Skywalker family adventure by Zahn, but it'd be bittersweet all the same. And the Ben Skywalker character that I have enjoyed emerged in FotJ. This novel would fall pre-LotF, when Ben was really too young to be a compelling character - which is a large part of why those years were skipped. What I would rather see is a one-shot (or trilogy) where a cloned Thrawn is revealed in the Unknown Regions. But he's not a bad guy this time around. He's needed to defeat a threat, and he's got to face being a clone and the legacy of the original Thrawn. Set it post-FotJ, and have Luke and Ben get another novel together. A book where they feel the raw emotion of not having Mara at their sides.

D) I think I'd rather wait and read the first sequel to Allegiance before I start clamoring for a second sequel. Allegiance was easily one of Zahn's least inspiring books, especially given the trooper stories that Karen Traviss gave us. Today, the book doesn't hold the same weight. Zahn, for me, was at his best when Thrawn was involved. Sure, it's a one-trick pony - but it's great stuff. And as a reader, I'd weight a great story higher than repetitiveness.

E) I don't believe Stover has yet to do a sequel to any of his Star Wars books. I'd rather him focus his efforts on his Caine books, which are some of the best modern literature I've read. But sure, let's say he wants to play in the Star Wars universe again. He's made it clear in interviews regarding Shadows of Mindor that he wanted to find a topic that hadn't been done before. I think he'd keep to that, writing stories that just haven't been told. Things that have been overshadowed. I'd love to see Stover come back, and I think he will, but I don't think it will be a sequel to Shadows of Mindor that we get. And I'm cool with that.

F) I am a huge fan of Outbound Flight, and I personally think it's Zahn's best work in the EU. That said, Outbound Flight was never really about journeying to another galaxy. The Yuuzhan Vong invaded from another galaxy, and it took 19 books to give them an accurate portrayal. The amount of details that a new galaxy would require would be enormous, and a waste. There are so many exotic locales in the Star Wars universe, so many planets and species that can still be created. Why does one need to go to another galaxy to do that? Star Wars isn't Star Trek, and it's never been about the science or the craziness.

Realistically? I think it'll be another TOR tie-in. They're going to pump that era with everything they've got, and I'm looking forward to it. A bit disappointed that the first novel is a Sean Williams book, and that the second novel will take place BEFORE the first one (what sense does that make?) but the CGI movies for the game have gotten me really pumped. I am beyond excited to get Kemp's Sith book.

Personally, though? I'd like to get a Jacen's Travels novel. At first, I was under the impression that FotJ was going to negate the outcry for this book. But now, I think it's needed more than before. I want to see him visit the different cultures, and see how his viewpoint begins to twist. I'd like to see the contract go out with a book that focuses on the character that they owe it to focus on. The guy who, even dead, is still a palpable presence in FotJ. It would be a poetic end to the current contract, and I think a lot of people would be pleased.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:

B) I'll never support a "Final Adventure" story. Ever. I'm sure that the day will come when LFL could use a bit of money and publicity, and they'd definitely get it with their telling of the final story of Luke, Han and Leia. But with Lucas's hand in the pot, it'll become a multimedia event. It'll be a big deal. Personally, I don't want to see it happen because who wants to see their childhood heroes die? I don't. It's not a story that needs to be told.

I'm gonna disagree. The Big 3 have to go eventually or the story can't continue.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Post-Fate of the Jedi bridge novel to another 9-book series coming seems like a real good possibility to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

A possibility, but I certainly hope not. I'm burnt out on giant series. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

VileZero I like your idea of a post-FOTJ novel by Tim Zahn with Luke and Ben Skywalker where they encouter a Thrawn Clone in the Unknown Regions and he's good and he and Luke and Ben have to face a galactic threat. I hope that if it does happen it will be the last novel of Del Rey's contract at Christmas 2013 perhaps it could be a bridge novel to another 9-book series post-FOTJ.

Exclamation Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
A possibility, but I certainly hope not. I'm burnt out on giant series. Sad

This is three years from now though. After three years of triligies and standalones, I think I'd be up for it.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think they should end it all with Han waking up, and looking to Leia, saying "By the Force, Leia! You will not believe the crazy dream I just had!" Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Joe, that's sheer genius! Quick, we have to rush you and your idea to Del Rey before it's too late! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Laughing That would be epic.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
VileZero wrote:

I'm gonna disagree. The Big 3 have to go eventually or the story can't continue.

I thought that the Legacy comics handled the post-Big Three story extremely well. It was clear that Luke was (most likely) dead, but even then, we don't learn the specifics. And don't need to, because it isn't important to tell a good story.

The problem with making a "final" story is that it will inevitably be mired in sadness. Our heroes have lived through so much, so what ending could finally do them justice? Some will want them to go out with a bang, putting a stop to a huge threat akin to the Yuuzhan Vong, while others want them to simply live out their lives. When it comes to death, it's no easy matter to make everyone agree on a perfect ending - as we've seen with Anakin Solo, who has nowhere near the level of exposure that Luke, Han and Leia have. These are some of the biggest pop culture icons in history.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't die. It's just not something I want to see. It will be preachy, sad, wistful and ultimately unneeded. It's an eventual cash cow, like when superheroes get killed off for a year in comic books. But unlike Bruce Wayne currently, there isn't a "coming back from the dead" angle to Star Wars. If you really want to move the story forward... then just move it forward. Dark Nest takes place five years after The Unifying Force, and Betrayal takes place five years after Dark Nest. That's roughly 10 years of no stories, but the overall story still moves forward.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I do want a final adventure of the Big Three by Matt Stover. But my idea for the fate of the Big 3 is go on an Outbound Flight II to another galaxy. That would be a good way to end their story without killing them off. But I wouldn't mind seeing Luke die ala Obi-Wan in ANH in a duel or an armageddon/apoclyptic battle against the Dark Side.

Exclamation Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 4