Your Expanded Universe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ha, ha. But see? This is fun. I had no idea you weren't much of a fan of the overall NJO. I like finding out what people really like and dislike. And since you have to pick at least 10 (and it's really not as easy as you might think), then we get to see what people would get rid of first! I might up the quantity, to get everybody thinking really hard. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Ha, ha. But see? This is fun. I had no idea you weren't much of a fan of the overall NJO. I like finding out what people really like and dislike. And since you have to pick at least 10 (and it's really not as easy as you might think), then we get to see what people would get rid of first! I might up the quantity, to get everybody thinking really hard. Wink

We did this in an older episode of EUCast as well. It truly gets hard when there are SOOOO many good EU works!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Jedi Joe wrote:
I mean, I like the concept of aliens from another galaxy, but I really don't buy the floating trees as starships idea... Confused

they weren't trees though JJ- they were bugs and shelled animals and coral. Very akin to the ships that were fashioned from the insect shells in the Star Wars universe.

My biggest complaint- they were an enemy of the likes not seen since the Sith, and then they drop off the map pretty much after the Unifying Force- I was stoked to see them used in Legacy more. It's a shame the books aren't doing MORE of that Wink

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote  

This shall be fun...

1. First off I'm getting rid of the Holiday Special.
2. Throw out the Marvel comics.
3. Throw out the Junior Jedi Knight novels.
4. Gone is the Clone Wars cartoon (the old animated one)
5. By now I could cheat and just throw away the Scholastic books and coloring books, but just to be sporting I'll ignore those. So I'm going to throw out The Legacy of the Force series.
6. Toss The Phantom Menace novelization.
7. Toss Attack of the Clones novelization.
8. Toss A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi novelizations.
9. Toss The Han Solo Adventures.
10. And throw away the Sith Tribe e-novels.

I might be willing to trade The Han Solo Adventures for the Imperial Commando book (I believe that was a separate 'series' from the Republic Commando books).

Okay, reading everyone elses' posts, I now have to comment.

@Mara
4. The Lando Calrissian Trilogy

Big disagree. I LOVED the Lando books. Very Happy

@Caedus_16
7. The Force Unleashed. I'll say it, its not horrible but the story isn't necessary
-Good Call, I forgot about that novelization. Personally I thought it was a terrible read.
10. The Lando Calrissian Trilogy
-Another one? Is there no love for Lando? Sad

Padme
1. The Adventures of Lando Calrissian
-Ahhhhh! Shocked
2. The Han Solo Adventures
-YES! I'm not alone there at least.

Jedi Joe
1. NJO
-Really? I don't think I could throw those away, not with Traitor and Greg Keyes three books.
2. Outbound Flight
-AND Outbound Flight? I'm stunned. I liked this one.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I dunno, Skuldren...there's just something about the Lando Adventures that bothered me. I mean...overall it was very intriguing. But the writing style, the slow plot...it put me to sleep several times. I remember back when I was reading the books that I had not yet read the X-Wing books, and I was very close to putting down Lando in the middle of reading and switching to the X-Wing, because I was so anxious to get there. But my sister stopped me and told me that if I didn't finish Lando now, I'd never finish it. And, she was probably right. So I managed to wade through the rest. Guess it just wasn't my cup of tea. Confused

The Han Solo Adventures? Are those the ones about Star's End and such? Aw, I really liked those. Especially since they describe how Han got the scar on his chin! Wink

Ya know...I should probably go back and read the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy now that I'm older. I remember I couldn't stand them, but perhaps they're not as bad as I remember. I like to go back and reread the Bantam books with a fresh outlook. I was rather young when I read all of those, and I think that had an impact on what I though. Who knows. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Confession time: I didn't finish the last Lando book. Made it about halfway through then moved on to the Han Solo Trilogy. I was bored to tears. That, at it was giving me Trekkie vibes for some reason.

@Mara: As much as I like the Han Solo books, I have one big complaint. Her name is Bria Tharen. I don't know, I was just indifferent to her. Didn't love her, didn't hate her. So I didn't love the books as much as I might have. And Black Fleet Crisis really wasn't that bad. I got rid of them because of certain elements, not because they were horrid as a whole.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, then you're talking about something else. There are two trilogies of Han books. One is the Han Solo Adventures:

1. Han Solo at Stars' End
2. Han Solo's Revenge
3. Han Solo and the Lost Legacy

And the other is the Han Solo Trilogy:

1. The Paradise Snare
2. The Hutt Gambit
3. Rebel Dawn

So you're talking about the Han Solo Trilogy. And I really, really liked those. So...we must agree to disagree, I suppose. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Indeed, the Adventures were horrid. Those were the ones I opted to get rid of. The Trilogy was excellent, but like I said, I didn't like Bria. Otherwise, I quite liked them. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
This shall be fun...

1. First off I'm getting rid of the Holiday Special.
2. Throw out the Marvel comics.
3. Throw out the Junior Jedi Knight novels.
4. Gone is the Clone Wars cartoon (the old animated one)
5. By now I could cheat and just throw away the Scholastic books and coloring books, but just to be sporting I'll ignore those. So I'm going to throw out The Legacy of the Force series.
6. Toss The Phantom Menace novelization.
7. Toss Attack of the Clones novelization.
8. Toss A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi novelizations.
9. Toss The Han Solo Adventures.
10. And throw away the Sith Tribe e-novels.

Can't argue with that. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I honestly enjoyed part of the Lando books but overall drop em and retcon something else for the Vong war. And I liked NJO but Del Rey has decided that they can change the galaxy from escapist fantasy to devastation and drama and death. So many characters were killed for no reason other than to just kill them. It bugs me. Nonetheless, I stick with it becausethere are amazing gems. And yes Skuldren, the only good film novelization was Stover's Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Skuldren:

The OLD Clone Wars series? That was the best!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The animation threw me the first time I saw it. Couldn't tell who was who.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't like it. It was all action, virtually no story-telling and Jedi powers were WAY too exaggerated to be taken seriously. The worst part is when Mace Windu takes out about a hundred battle droids unarmed. Rolling Eyes Nope, I'll take the new show any day.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hm, I liked the traditional animation in it... And all the action was awesome, and there was no soap opera drama in it like there is in the new one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
The worst part is when Mace Windu takes out about a hundred battle droids unarmed. Rolling Eyes

Ha, that's the part I always think of when I think of that series. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 2 of 4