2013:What will the last major novel of Del Rey's contract be
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

In 2013 the last year of Del Rey's contract what do you want the last SW novel to be about?
a)A Post-Fate of the Jedi bridge novel to another 9-book series coming
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
b)The final adventure of Luke,Han and Leia
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
c)A Skywalker family adventure with Luke,Mara and Ben by Tim Zahn
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
d)A Second sequel novel to Allegiance by Tim Zahn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
e)A sequel to Shadows of Mindor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
f)A novel about a second Outbound Flight to another galaxy in the Legacy era
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm just worried that it will soon be unrealistic. Are Luke, Han, and Leia still fighting bad guys at age 100? 150? Personally, I would enjoy a "final adventure". They wouldn't have to die, but I'd like a point where we could say - "Okay, this is the last thing they did. No more stories after this for the Big Three". You can always go back and add in stories in other gaps with them, but not could happen to them after this final adventure, for whatever reason.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The kind of ending I've always envisioned for Luke was something of what Jacen did in The Unifying Force, but on a much grander scale. I think that dude in KOTOR II who was so very underused, Nihilus, would be a good example of a bad guy. Say this bad guy is sucking the life out of the galaxy and replacing it with a Dark Side void, as this is the life force he needs to survive. So he is very set on consuming the entire galaxy. Luke must save everyone, and to do so he does something, and I'm having trouble putting it into words, like what Jacen did. Except he does it to the point that he gives up his spirit (somewhat like in Abyss) to defeat this Nihilus-like terror. His spirit leaves his body and has to fight the Dark Side void thing by entering it and consuming it from the inside. Sort of like what Neo does to Agent Smith. When he breaks free, it's this blinding flash of light, but his spirit is finished. He can no longer return to his body, and is promptly whisked off to the Force, "...more powerful than you can possibly imagine." Thus he is, technically, dead, but he lives on in spirit. And he has finally proven himself, beyond a shadow of a doubt, as the most powerful Jedi of all time. Very Happy

On the other hand, I can't even imagine any kind of suitable ending for Han or Leia. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
On the other hand, I can't even imagine any kind of suitable ending for Han or Leia. Sad

Han's going down in a blaze of glory in the Falcon. There is no other way. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well yes, of course. But I still don't think it would be satisfying. Like I mean...I could sit back and be happy for Luke with the above death. He would finally be with Mara, etc. But with Han's death...I would just be sad! Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Han would have to die of old age. If anyone deserves to go out in peace, it's Han.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Old Master Ben wrote:
Han would have to die of old age. If anyone deserves to go out in peace, it's Han.

But you know that's too boring for Han. He has to go out in blazing burning rocking glory and save the galaxy at the same time. Its freaking Han Solo, dying in his sleep may have been earned but its kinda lame for someone so awesome...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Leia can have the peaceful death in her sleep. It's fitting for her character. So, in what order should the Big Three go? I think it should be Han, Leia, then Luke last. Han and the Falcon go out in a blaze of glory, Leia is, of course, crushed but she'd have Luke and Jaina to comfort her. She can then die peacefully. Luke would be sad, but he'd have Ben. The Grand Master can then have his epic moment. I rather like Mara's scenario for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Luke may go down in the end of FotJ...just sayin...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Luke may go down in the end of FotJ...just sayin...

You think so? I bet they could not keep that secret long enough to publish the book. It'll leak and people will. Freak. Out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I think Han and Leia should go together, personally. I think they should be in the Falcon, the Falcon is critically injured and on a collision course with the bridge of the dastardly bad guy's ship, they hold each other tight, and they go out together! I think they should go before Luke, and Luke will then (in the same battle) have his moment of triumph and meet his end as he sacrifices himself to destroy the evil that the now dead dastardly bad guy has unleashed upon the galaxy. The Big Three have just left us, and it couldn't have been more spectacular.

Then, in a rather deja vu scene, we see the younger generation, Jaina, Ben, Allana, etc., staring out at the battle as it comes to a close. Their parents are gone, but it is now their time. *cue awesome Star Wars music* Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You do realize that wiping out the Big Three all in one book might send me into a permanent depression, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

But to take them out one at a time...that would be so cruel. So drawn out and depressing. They've been through everything together! I think they should all go out together, as well. It just seems fitting. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

See, taking them out all at once feels more cruel to me than taking them one by one. I'd need time to get over each death. Honestly, I think I'd cry really hard if they all went.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, see...then I suppose Del Rey will have many upset fans either way. Because for me, it would tear at my heart to see them go slowly. They've already ripped Chewie, Anakin, and Mara from us, not to mention so many others. I couldn't handle it one at a time. I would pick up each book warily, afraid of what might be lurking within its pages. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It would be awesome if the whole gang from the movies went out together, but they already killed Chewie, so that idea goes down the drain... And where the heck is Lando?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 4