Fate of the Jedi 5: Allies Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There is no politically active public, citizens that would go on the streets to demonstrate or riot, in EU anymore. There's no party organization anymore either. Senate doesn't matter either.

Either you can look it as an example of how empty shell GA has become, how all hopes put on it have failed and what is left is this facade which still stands, hiding the state and society's decline into fatalistic indifference.

Or either nobody cares as long as it is just the Jedi who are targeted - did anyone care when it was Corellians who were targeted on Coruscant? Did the Jedi care enough to act then? No. So, we would still be left with a splintered society where there is no "we are all in this together" feeling left anymore.

What comes to the killing, the Mandalorians might love their own children, but they hardly could have fought their wars without killing untold number of children. Image Himalayas made from the bones of children. So, the killing shouldn't mean much or anything to them.

What's the moral difference of killing a child like this or killing children by bombarding their world from orbit etc? I would say there is none.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rouge77 wrote:

What comes to the killing, the Mandalorians might love their own children, but they hardly could have fought their wars without killing untold number of children. Image Himalayas made from the bones of children. So, the killing shouldn't mean much or anything to them.

The old ones, maybe, but not the True Mandalorians. Anyway I've had my say, I'm going to just leave it at that.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote  

I'm thinking there are more Canderous Ordo type Mandalorians than there are Mirta Gevs. The Mandalorians are not like the knights in King Arthur books, they're veteran soldiers and mercenaries, jaded by conflict.

The Mandos in the KOTOR era would nuke a planet because it's inhabitants were too cowardly to come out and fight. Belok made a statement and he stood by it, he didn't want any discussion or peace talks. He shot Kani and made his statement clear. He wasn't here to mess around and he wasn't about to show compassion or mercy.

Now did they ever say how old Kani was? I didn't think she was kid. Wookieepedia doesn't say how old she is.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I got the impression she was in her late teenage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

That was my idea, too. Huh, did they really never say?

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I imagined her being pre-teenish.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

That's awfully young to be in such a trusted position.....

Did anyone else find Han. Kyp, and others calling Kani "KP" to be a bit annoying? Not only did it seems a bit childish, but I kept having mental images of Kim Possible. Sorry, 90s kid here.

Last edited by Queen Padmè Skywalker on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, that was a little irking, but I think it served it's purpose. It made her death all the more horrible.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Yeah, that was a little irking, but I think it served it's purpose. It made her death all the more horrible.

I disliked it with a passion! Council members talking behind other Jedi's back?! It was totally out of place and served no purpose, I feel it had no impact on the story other than making the Jedi look foolish.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

comanderbly wrote:
I disliked it with a passion! Council members talking behind other Jedi's back?! It was totally out of place and served no purpose, I feel it had no impact on the story other than making the Jedi look foolish.

I think that was a point. It showed how haughty they've become. They have to be up to be hated the way they are in the Legacy comics and therefore exterminated. And also, it shows how not-perfect they are considering some books have painted them as infallible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
comanderbly wrote:

I think that was a point. It showed how haughty they've become. They have to be up to be hated the way they are in the Legacy comics and therefore exterminated. And also, it shows how not-perfect they are considering some books have painted them as infallible.

Interesting - in that case they succeeded.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the point was also to show that Hamner's position was going to his head a bit. He thinks he has to carry the weight of the Order himself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote  

That's the opinion I got. It was showing just how much distance there was between some of the Masters and Hamner, but it was very shallow of them. Certainly didn't help make Kyp look more mature. Or Han for that matter.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wow - all these comments make me feel a lot better about that whole part of the book. I really felt it was Jedi High!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So you think the idea is to make the Masters look bad? I have worried that the authors are intending to show that the Order can stand without Luke and that they think that all is going according to plan, that the Masters are supposedly facing the test ok, when it seems to me going badly...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 8 of 8