Post-Fate of the Jedi Literature
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should post-FOTJ novels(If there will be any)be about?
1.Luke,Han and Leia's final adventures
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
2.A second Outbound Flight through the Unknown Regions and exploring the satellite galaxies
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
3.The vision of Allana Solo unifying the Galaxy
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
4.The adventures of an adult Ben Skywalker
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 19

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Republic and GA are not real democracies in the style of "one sentient, one vote" as senators are representing entire sectors with thousands upon thousands of planets in some cases, individual planets in some, Trade Federation member planets having no vote of their own, some member planets being democracies, some not etc and a significant part of their member planets seem to be monarchies where the ruler's position is more than just being a figurehead. Not very democratic on the planetary level either.

And Alderaan, a hereditary monarchy with privileged aristocracy where same families stay on top of the society for thousands of years (in TOR, it was revealed that it's the Organas and Raynar Thul's Thul ancestors that are fighting for the throne of Alderaan in about 3650 BBY), is supposed to be the example to the whole Old Republic. A planet that doesn't seem to have ever experienced real democracy.

Then there is the fact that even a monarchy that is stable and IU terms ok is supposed to be dull, just like a well working democracy. That's why the Alderaan stories we get are based on times when things went bad for Alderaan in TOR, Dark Times and ANH and why we get the Galfridians appearing in Invasion, not on some peaceful era for their planet and the galaxy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

But there doesn't have to be squabbling in the courts to make a good story. I know plenty of stories of successful monarchies facing outside threats. As for Alderaan, I always thought it was like modern-day England, but I might have been thinking of Naboo. *goes to check*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
But there doesn't have to be squabbling in the courts to make a good story. I know plenty of stories of successful monarchies facing outside threats. As for Alderaan, I always thought it was like modern-day England, but I might have been thinking of Naboo. *goes to check*

On both planets, the rulers have real power. In TPM Padme seems to hold all the power in Naboo. Yes, she has advisers etc, but in the end it is she who decides whether Naboo accepts or opposes the Trade Federation's demands. I would say she holds more power than in UK the queen and the prime minister hold together.

Later, she becomes Naboo's senator to the OR senate, nominated by her successor alone. Interestingly, both Naboo and Alderaan (although supposedly on part of the whole Alderaan sector, but the four pre-PT and PT era senators all come from the planet itself) hold seats in the senate, when a single planet holding a seat must be rare; there are few thousand senators and over a million planets in OR.

In Alderaan, it's the members of the royal house who hold the position of the senator to the OR senate. No pesky democratic elections are apparently needed. Bail Organa's father-in-law was the senator before him, and after him his teenaged adopted daughter becomes the senator.

As much as Alderaan is vaunted as an example to the rest of the OR, there's no indication that it was in any way democratic. Naboo's system seems to have been partly democratic as there were elections, but it ended up electing children in their early teens as successors to the throne...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, but what about in AotC when the queen (I forget her name. Jamilla, I think) said, "The day we stop believing in democracy is the day we lose it."

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:
Ah, but what about in AotC when the queen (I forget her name. Jamilla, I think) said, "The day we stop believing in democracy is the day we lose it."

Maybe she was a hypocrite. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Perhaps democracy means something else on Naboo. Or in in-universe overall. Perhaps on Naboo it just means that the ruler has been elected at some point and has term limits (although Padme's predecessor apparently ruled for 14 years).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote  

Maybe George Lucas has a different definition of democracy. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

George: "No, that's not what Democracy means."

Person: "But, George, the definition of Democracy..."

George: "No, no, I don't care about that. Democracy in Star Wars means..."

Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It might mean something different to Lucas or IU, like mostly peaceful civil society ruled by laws etc.

I'm reminded of how in United Kingdom (especially in the past, but occasionally even now) politicians spout about the "ancient constitution" of UK (and England before it). The problem?

There's no written, parlamentary approved constitution in UK, "constitution" in UK just means the government system, dividing of power between ruler, parlament, judiciary etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Sue Rostoni is spitting out news like crazy today. She says, in response to the question "any chance of Matt Stover writing the last, great adventure of Luke, Han, and Leia" - "That might be nice, but no, the last adventure isn't happening in this contract period."

Looks like Han, Luke, and Leia survive until 2013. But isn't it interesting that she doesn't at all deny that there will be a final adventure? In fact, it sounds to me like she's saying there is a last adventure, it just isn't happening yet...

Here's some other updates from Sue, by the way - http://www.eucantina.net/archives/7579

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Maybe the last adventure of the Big Three by Matt Stover could happen either in 2014,2015 the beginning of the next contract or maybe 2017/18 the end of the next contract.

Very Happy Exclamation Smile Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That's so far ahead, it makes my head hurt... Confused Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Time moves fast for me. It'll be here before you know it. I'm just glad that the final adventure of the Big Three will still happen just not anytime soon like 2013.

Exclamation Very Happy Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

2016 would be an appropraite date for the Big 3's final adventure since it would mark the 25th anniversary of the launch of the SW EU and Heir to the Empire.

Very Happy Exclamation Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I hope that at Celebration V there will be announcement of not only the last FOTJ novel but whether there will be post-FOTJ novels in the current contract coming in 2012 or 2013.

Exclamation Very Happy Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 6