Leonardo Dicaprio
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leonardo Dicaprio
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ladies and Gentlemen its here. His acting in Inception recently as well as Blood Diamond has portrayed him as an actor with dramatic depth while Romeo+Juliet showed us his classical side. However, he is plagued by the image of that cheesy kid from Titanic. Could he have pulled off Anakin Skywalker, precourser to Darth Vader? I think so, but Padme said she'd hold back till I started this thread so ladies and gentlemen have at it. Defend, thrust, perry, and so on and so forth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote  

Actually I thought The Departed, Catch Me If You Can, and The Aviator really propelled him into something greater. Titanic certainly put him into the spotlight, but those other movies were what gained him respect (from me at least).

Could he have pulled off Anakin (I'm assuming Episode III and possibly Episode II)? I don't know. The lines and scenes will be the same, just with someone else saying them. I would safely say they would be better...but I'm not sure they'd be great.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

He was surprisingly good at Inception, which I saw today. Occasionally the character came to the forefront, not the actor. Not great, but good. So, I think there's still hope for him.

I don't think that he could have done Anakin Skywalker well. It's not just that he might not in my opinion have the deep range of the negative emotions handled well, but because the role needed a less well known actor, who could have been just Anakin in the eyes of viewers.

Leonardo might have done a Jedi cameo or something... Wink

Last edited by Rouge77 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Leo does brooding well - Inception and The Departed totally come to mind. I am not sure how he would handle the material though, as DS pointed out. I would love to have seen him giving the Council and Obi-wan some lashings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

To me, his looks are also an issue. Not sure I could've accepted that baby face as the future Vader. Call me shallow. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
To me, his looks are also an issue. Not sure I could've accepted that baby face as the future Vader. Call me shallow. Confused

Its sad that even with that goatee he can't look his age. But I got over that, he's just bloody talented in my opinion. Shutter Island was great for him. Showed his psychological side.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'll accept that maybe he could have pulled it off, but I don't think I'll ever be convinced that he would have been the right fit for the role. That said, I have nothing bad to say about his acting ability.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I'll accept that maybe he could have pulled it off, but I don't think I'll ever be convinced that he would have been the right fit for the role. That said, I have nothing bad to say about his acting ability.

Lol after Hayden I'll take ability over visual fit. Would it have bugged me a little to see it, maybe. Did Hayden's acting make it worse...well...ya know....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, but let's not go down that road, m'kay? It'll only get rough. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Granted, while he may have been a subpar actor, he also had subsubsubsubsubpar lines to deal with. So...yeah. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Am I the only one who thinks those lines were annoying, but also fitting? I mean, have you heard what teenagers/young adults will say to each other when they're in love? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote  

Vader does not look anymore like Hayden than does DiCaprio in my opinion. In fact, I'd say DiCaprio is closer to looking like him, Hayden is too thin in the face.

DiCaprio
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Hayden
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

...actually, upon closer inspection, I think DiCaprio is a reasonable fit for a young Vader. There's some pretty good resemblance there.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, I know. Now that you show that picture. Now I am torn. Arg. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hmmm, interesting comparison, but I think I'm going to stand by my opinion that Hayden looks the part.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think they were spot on with Jake Lloyd...

They'd have to wait until now to make Episode II, but still... Razz

Last edited by Jedi Joe on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2