Jar Jar Binks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It hasn't been confirmed. But it's Jar Jar's voice which leads me to believe it's Lucas's little joke on everyone who hates Jar Jar. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Arg. The Flanneled One strikes back. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ya know for someone who created the biggest franchise of sci-fi times, he seems to enjoy throwing in his fan's faces. Jar Jar, The Clone Wars TV series, his blatant non-chalant attitude towards canon...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay, cardinal rule of canon: G canon trumps all other canon. Anyone who works for LFL knows this -- with the possible exception of Karen Traviss, who no longer works for LFL.

Now GL may have created the most successful scifi franchise of all time, but it was GL who took the risks to do that; not the fans. Without him there would be no SW. I don't have a problem with him changing canon and I don't view it as disrespect either.

IMO, it was LOTF, the authors and DR who screwed up the EU far more than anything GL has done. LOTF was a fubar and DR has been scrambling ever since to set it right. Personally I think they should just turn that entire series into someone's nightmare and start from scratch after DNT.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So you wouldn't enjoy the erasing of DNT as well...? Cause I would...

Actually I do agree that its his universe but the thing is that the fans made it what it is. I agree that he should have his canon and that we should have ours, as is dictated, but I think that an attempt at meeting in the middle could be made. The flanneled one could stand that. its not like he needs our money, might as well make it about art at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Caedus_16 wrote:
So you wouldn't enjoy the erasing of DNT as well...? Cause I would...

So would I, but more because the plot was awful than any lasting effect on the EU.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The thing that always gets me is that George allowed the EU to start, correct? Yet, he has no problem with acting like it doesn't exist. Dave Filoni has to tell him about any and every event, character, and weapon in the EU. George, though a creative genius, also understands how to sacrifice creativity for money. This precious world of his - I don't think he cares about what people do in it for the majority of EU events, as long as it's making him money. To George, the EU is nothing more than a money machine.

The other side to this is - if George canon is above everything in the EU, why has he stopped certain things from happening in the EU? When approached about taking Obi-Wan off of Tatooine, he said no. But if he doesn't consider the EU canon anyway, why should he care what happens in it? He can just change it later, or say it never happened, much like fans do with certain events (Chewie's death). Same thing with asking George if Luke can marry - why does George care then, but not when he's making his TV show that is flattening EU works. He needs to either care, and say, yes, we will make it mesh, and I want to be careful with what happens in the EU because it counts, or say no, I don't think any of that EU stuff happens anyway, so just do whatever you want. He can't keep having it both ways, because it's causing one simple problem.

Forget the huge continuity buffs for a second. Obviously, they have an issue anytime something contradicts. But let's just focus on the normal novel purchaser. They spend money on these books. They love these books. They care about the characters. And then they turn on their TV, to hear the official word of George, and find that, in his version of the Star Wars universe (which trumps all), their favorite book and characters don't exist, or didn't happen that way. That's the biggest problem. It's the people who invest in the EU, and then find out that it doesn't really matter.

Mistakes in the post-ROTJ era, I agree, fall completely on authors, editors, and whoever else is involved in the books. It's the material that George has a hand in, that contradicts the items he is also selling under his brand, that bothers people.

As for the fans making George, or George making the fans...obviously George made Star Wars, which gathered fans. Yes, technically, Star Wars would not exist if not for George Lucas. But, you can look back on the history of Star Wars, specifically between ROTJ and TPM, and say that the fans made Star Wars exist today. Star Wars could have dropped off the face of the earth after ROTJ if not for fans maintaining interest. After ROTS, Star Wars could have ended if not for fans maintaining interest. George created the Star Wars universe, but he can only be given a little credit for the books, comics, and games that flesh out his world. There is so little of the Star Wars universe shown in the movies compared to the EU. If you think about it, the percentage of the Star Wars universe that was portrayed by George is a very small percent (without weighting the magnitude of certain things that he showed).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The fact that George will trod on canon yet say things (insulting to fans) like 'take Anakin Solo out of the spotlight so that my Anakin won't get confused with him' even though only EU readers know who Solo even was. And yet while he's willing to dictate canon like that which results in characters that we're invested in dying and such he's completely willing to erase everything Traviss worked so hard on for his TV show which isn't great, its only ok at BEST. sigh...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I wouldn't mind if he completely contradicted everything Traviss had ever written in the TV show - IF - he just said "The EU does not line up with my views of the Star Wars Universe". Then we could just know that none of it is "erased", it's just a separate universe, basically. Instead, George decides that some parts of the EU are in his universe, while others art. He decides to care about what happens to certain characters and parts of the EU, but not others.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

And so, continuity keeps getting more twisted and confusing and my head starts hurting. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wow. I salute you. OMB, that was really well said. Hey, you should quote this when you're speaking at Celebration V, really rock the boat. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Heh, I'm not on the panel so people will listen to me. I'm there to ask questions. And I just realized - isn't this the Jar Jar thread? We are so off topic. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So....Jar Jar. He's....a Gungan. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote  

...and that's all I have to say about Gungans. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Harsh, Skuldren. Harsh. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 3 of 4