Star Wars Live-Action Series Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Jedi Joe wrote:
......than Bad CGI seen in shows like Smallville and Doctor Who

Hey! Don't you be dissing Smallville! The effects are pretty good once you get past the first couple of seasons. I will agree about Doctor Who, though. Oh, and Merlin. BBC just can't do CG.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh no it's not a diss. TV shows tend to have sub-par graphics because of the time it takes to make them. With a movie, you can take over a year to render the effects of a two-hour presentation. That is a freedom you don't have when you're making a 20+ episode TV season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

All right then. You are forgiven for your slight against my favorite show. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

If I remember correctly, wasn't The Clone Wars supposed to be about 100 episodes? Maybe this means it will go longer. Or maybe the Live action becomes a dark times animated series? What I think TCW means for Lucasfilm is that they are on the cutting edge of animation right now. Just speculating...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I was home sick today, and so watched the 1pm re-air of yesterday's Attack of the Show (on G4). Kevin interviewed George Lucas and discussed both the 3D release of Star Wars and the live action series.

According to Lucas, they have about 50 hours of material prepared (presumably scripts or stories), but the only thing holding them back is cost. They need the technology to progess so that they can film and produce the series at roughly one tenth of the cost of the films.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It probably is episode scripts because I recall they were hiring writers about a year ago. I'm surprised they have fifty episodes written though, I guess the live action show is going to be very different than ordinary TV with seasons and has a lot more long term planning.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm surprised cost is keeping them back. I mean it's Star Wars! Doesn't that mean instant money? Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Thinking out loud...

I am really intrigued with the talk of production costs.

I have been watching Stargate Universe lately, and it had me wondering how much that show cost. My thinking being that as a SciFi genre series, set on a spaceship with lots of action, that the production costs may give us some idea of just what Lucas is talking about money wise. The biggest difference would obviously be the likely special effects budget on a Star Wars series being much higher with the inclusion of alien species and more sets, etc.

According to one of the actors on SGU (Robert Carlyle) the show cost over $2 Million an episode.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/6256051/Robert-Carlyle-Ive-had-it-with-British-films.html#

In 2010, Lucas said that they couldn't do it for less then $50 million per episode. Clearly there is no way that that could be budgeted. He also said they had a "movie of the week" and 50 hours of television written. So basically you are talking a debut movie (ala TCW, except with a home TV premier instead of theatrical).

In his most recent comments Lucas said he is looking to make the series for about 1/10 of the cost of the Star Wars feature films. So this is an $11.3-12 million dollar range. Now if he is speaking in per episode costs, that would be in astronomical sum for television it would also mean we would probably be getting shorter seasons with less episodes (like LOST). Overall the general episodic range as best as I can see is 13-24 episodes per year for a dramatic series.

TPM Estimated budget $115M
AotC Estimated budget $120M
RotS Estimated budget $113M

End of rambling..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

TV Show May Be Shot in Prague. One or two other suggestive tidbits in there, too. It may be set around the time Luke is a teenager, for one, which gives us a tentative time line.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
TV Show May Be Shot in Prague. One or two other suggestive tidbits in there, too. It may be set around the time Luke is a teenager, for one, which gives us a tentative time line.

!!Starkiller!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

This may be of interest. Possible writer for Live Action TV show
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I just hope that the EU is safe and nothing contradicts with it. I am excited about seeing more live action Star Wars though, and during the Dark Times to boot!

-YOU REBEL SCUM!
-Through victory my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Thankfully, at GL's insistence, there is very little EU between Episodes III and IV. There are a few things that are immediately post-ROTJ, like Dark Times, Purge, Darth Vader and the Lost Command, Imperial Commando, and the Coruscant Nights books, but they're all dated 19 or 18 BBY. And there's another batch of EU that's almost entirely 3-2 BBY.

The only things after the end of the post-ROTS EU (which we'll say ends at Coruscant Nights 3, since I don't know when 4 will be), and before the beginning of pre-ANH EU (which we'll say begins at The Force Unleashed 1), are:
-A few random Tales
-The Han Solo trilogy, books 1 and 2
-The Lando Calrissian Adventures
-The entire Droids series, including the TV show and the Marvel and Dark Horse comic series.
-Maybe a Boba Fett story? Depends when Enemy of the Empire takes place.

Those EU stories are scattered very thinly, and are so focussed on those few characters (Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Boba Fett, the Droids) that it should be fairly easy to just not touch them in the Live Action series.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I wouldn't feel too safe. TCW messed with things that weren't necessarily placed in the Clone Wars (examples: Ryloth not being tidelocked and Mandalore's renovation).

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Looks like ABC is taking a look at the series

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/10/star-wars-live-action-tv-series-3/

Hopefully it will finally see the light of day!

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 5 of 6