Season 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
Season 3
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The premiere (September 17- as of now) is creeping up so I thought I'd start this thread. I've always given The Clone Wars the benefit of the doubt and the result is I've really enjoyed it and I have high hopes for this season. Some observations from the previews:
The Characters:
It seems like they're sticking to the per-established cast, at least as far as major characters are concerned. I'm happy about this because it makes sense to develop the characters they already have instead of throwing a bunch of new ones at us. We have more than enough.
The Tone:
It looks a lot more serious than the previous two seasons which I'm all for. There hasn't been a single joke in the previews yet (cheesey or otherwise) and just looks more somber.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqP-nkkAbY8
Republic Commando in Ther Clone Wars! I hate to say I told you so, but I told you EU and TCW can co-exist.

Also, just a side note, I loved the video even RC aside. It's maturity level was impressive.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pretty nice. I'm just glad they used Delta Squad instead of Omega... The RC game was awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Jedi Joe wrote:
Pretty nice. I'm just glad they used Delta Squad instead of Omega... The RC game was awesome!

Why JJ? I'd prefer to see Omegas Black kit myself, but I love both squads, I'm interested how long they'll be in the story?

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Jedi Joe wrote:

Does this have anything to do with the fact that you haven't read the RC books and thus have no connection to Darman, Fi, Atin, and Niner? Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote  

Both squads were interesting. I'm more partial to their Mando trainers than anything Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Anyone notice how ironic this is. Karen Traviss quits and everyone assumes it's because TCW is messing up continuity. It turns out that wasn't the issue after all and now they're using her characters... well I guess they aren't really hers. But still.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well it was certainly part of the issue. She admitted as much, and it was rather obvious. While the RC Troopers will not be messed with continuity wise, the Mandalorians were. And drastically. Their home planet was turned into a nuclear blasted wasteland, and their entire culture was turned Pacifist. That more than greatly contrasts the entire Mandalorian background that both Traviss and previous authors had set up. Her books weren't just about the Troopers, they were also (majorly) about their Mandalorain heritage, and how it was going to give them a better life than the one they were living in the GAR.

So...while I think contract issues were also involved, her quitting was definitely part of the continuity issues in TCW. If you spent several years of your life writing stories depicting/shaping the Mandalorians in Star Wars, and these very same five books were sanctioned by Del Rey/Lucas Inc., don't you think you'd be a little upset if they tossed the entire foundation upon which your story was based right out the nearest window? I know I would. Confused

And the fact that they are now using the characters she helped to make more than famous (yes, I realize they were famous from the game, but Traviss helped develop them further), I find that slightly galling. I'm more than excited to see them, but...it's a little sour, I suppose. I know I certainly wouldn't know who Delta Squad was without Traviss, because I've never played the game. So I'm sure there are countless others in the same boat. Neutral

Though, I suppose...it isn't Dave's fault and the rest of the team. They're happy to use the Troopers, and I'm going to blame the continuity issues on George. But still. It's at least a little disconcerting.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote  

Actually I don't think it's George's fault and I don't think it's Traviss fault with what happened with the Mandalorians. Someone should have been checking with George to make sure it was okay to go off in whatever direction with the Mandos. The fact that George had other ideas seems like a miscommunication fault.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm wondering if Mandalore really did get blasted though, and underwent a governmental overthrow. I mean, Jango and all them were remnants of the old Mandalorians, but were very sparse in small clans. Wasn't it Boba Fett who resurrected the Mandalorian culture? Maybe after the conflict that destroyed the Mandalorians, Mandalore was bombarded and went into a nuclear winter while it was under Satine's power?

The Clone Wars followed the Death Watch pretty well, so maybe they wanted to make Mandalore more war-torn?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think TCW continuity can work with what's already there, but it was insensitive of GL to do it. I don't think it was miscommunication, George doesn't give a rip about the EU. I have not read RC so I don't really know what Mandalore was like during the clone wars although I was under the impression it was divided against itself. It doesn't seem too much of a stretch to add one more faction to all that. Also I'm pretty sure only part of the planet got wasted (that or it was a different planet than Mandalore).

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So here's another one:

Apparently Aurra Sing no longer has Force sensitivity and was never a Jedi/Jedi Hopeful/Whatever. Her backstory has been completely erased, and she is nothing more than a bounty hunter. This straight from Dave.

So...is it not getting on anyone else's nerves that whoever is holding The Mighty Eraser has no regard whatsoever for the current EU when he/she uses it? I know we've jusitfied almost every continuity issue to date where TCW is concerned, but...this is just getting ridiculous. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The he is George. Dave says George didn't want her to be anything more than a bounty hunter, and he never pictured her to be more. So they got rid of it. Another comment was made about having too many bald women with sad pasts and bad upbringings...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
So here's another one:

Apparently Aurra Sing no longer has Force sensitivity and was never a Jedi/Jedi Hopeful/Whatever. Her backstory has been completely erased, and she is nothing more than a bounty hunter. This straight from Dave.|

I didn't realize she was ever anything more than a bounty hunter. Did I miss a book or a comic? Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah. She has an established past as a Jedi Padawan that left the Order. But no more. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 7