EUC Weekly Opinion Columns
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
EUC Weekly Opinion Columns
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

If you've looked at the home page today, you'll notice we've started a weekly opinion column. They will be written by Chris (VileZero), and will be about anything EU. Please leave thoughts, feedback, or discussion of the topics here! These are meant to create discussion!

Here's the first one: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/8059#more-8059

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote  

Chris mentioned "amazing" retcons for the Mandalorian stuff. Did I miss something because I don't remember them ever releasing any official retcons?

As for the new CV Clone Wars stuff, I think Dathomir and witches are cool, but it's sad they're going to redo Ventress's back story. I'm not bothered by the Aurra Sing stuff, but the Ventress news was a little upsetting. It'll be cool to see the commandos though. Overall I'd say there's a mix of good and bad, but I'm pretty optimistic. That said, I did adopt the wait and see approach with the Mando stuff in season 2. Sadly I wasn't very comfortable with the way that turned out.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, the Essential Atlas included the retcon in regards to how the Mandos can be peaceful.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That column sonded like me. Shocked

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Chris may have invaded your mind and used your thoughts. Who knows? Razz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hope everyone who reads it gets at least some enjoyment out of it! Definitely looking forward to next week, and to keep good discussion rolling.

Reepicheep - Are you my long lost brother? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Did you guys read this comment on Zero's column? Awesome stuff! Very Happy

Great column and a very enjoyable read. Fandom needs more articles like this, giving subjects room to breathe without being battered down into soundbites and blinkered opinions.
Yet another reason why EU Cantina is one of the very best SW sites out there.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
Hope everyone who reads it gets at least some enjoyment out of it! Definitely looking forward to next week, and to keep good discussion rolling.

Reepicheep - Are you my long lost brother? Very Happy

A mouse and a Yuuzhan Vong... don't think so. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

New column up - Plagueis and Luceno - http://www.eucantina.net/archives/8207

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

New Column: Can LucasArts Turn It Around? http://www.eucantina.net/archives/8414

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Old Master Ben wrote:
New Column: Can LucasArts Turn It Around? http://www.eucantina.net/archives/8414

And don't forget Andrew's Letter from the editor too! Be sure to read that as well!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

New Column: EU Action/Reaction: A Bright Future for Comics http://www.eucantina.net/archives/8479

Discuss it here! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

First of all it was a really good article written by Chris/Vile Zero. I found it really informative and it held my "scattered at best" attention through the whole piece. It is a nice thing when you can get that kind of pro quality writing on the site.

Having said that, I have to wonder if 2011 won't be remembered as the year the EU hit it's saturation point though. Don't get me wrong. I'm a greedy fan. I want new stuff and I want it constantly. I worry that by putting so much stuff out there though that people will begin to feel like it is just too hard to keep up with it all.

Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Revmacd wrote:
Having said that, I have to wonder if 2011 won't be remembered as the year the EU hit it's saturation point though. Don't get me wrong. I'm a greedy fan. I want new stuff and I want it constantly. I worry that by putting so much stuff out there though that people will begin to feel like it is just too hard to keep up with it all.

Your thoughts?

You know, that's something I hadn't really thought about - the whole saturation thing.

I don't think it will. We're getting roughly the same amount of books, and Dark Horse has pretty much ended the monthly series. That works well in their favor for two reasons. The first is that they can play around in more eras, appealing to a wider variety of fans. The second reason that ending the monthly series works is because I think we'll actually see less comics than usual in the long run (looking at 2012 and beyond). Right now, Dark Horse really seems to be loving the whole "arc" thing they have going on, where they release a five or six-part arc of a series like "Invasion" or "Dark Times," and then switch over to something else. Even "Knight Errant" is going to be in the arc format, with the novel releasing between the first two arcs.

Most of what they've got coming out are miniseries. Once Crimson Empire III and Legacy: War end, that's it for 'em. I think if you're a big fan and you want to collect and read them all, 2011 might end up taking a bigger chunk of your wallet than in previous years... but given that comics are releasing in arcs or a one-shot miniseries, readers won't need to feel so heavily invested. In theory, you could skip an entire arc of "Invasion" or "Knight Errant," and not really miss a whole lot in the long term.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

What I want more than anything in the EU is to follow the Rule of Two from Bane to Vader. When last we left off, Bane was dead and Zannah and Cognus were off to continue the mission. The only way to pass the mantle is for the apprentice to surpass the master. By the time they got a few cycles into this paradigm they must have been insanely powerful in the dark side. Me. Want.

I bring up the saturation thing because with this recession deal dragging on and people working more than ever for less, the amount of time available for pleasure reading and such seems so much more fleeting these days. I guess if you're a dedicated fan you find the time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 11