So...I was recently listening to Halo Evolutions on CD, when I happened upon a very interesting (and very long, for a short story) tale called The Mona Lisa. But you know what struck me as funny by the time the story ended? It was, in almost every way, exactly the same as Death Troopers, right down to the Prison Barge.
If you've ever played Halo, you know about The Flood, the infestation that takes over life forms and turns them into living, breathing, maneating/attacking zombies. Just like Death Troopers. Except that Halo and The Flood came out long before Death Troopers. So here are the most prominent similarities from The Mona Lisa.
1. They're on a prison barge.
2. The Flood almost exactly resembles the virus/infestation from Death Troopers.
3. They're running through the dark, fighting their way through the ship to escape.
4. Members of the initial party are being overcome and transformed.
5. The Flood are attempting to fly away from the crippled ship, just as are the zombies from Death Troopers.
6. Prisoner(s), doctor, and company must escape from The Flood, just as the prisoner(s), doctor, and company must escape from the zombies in Death Troopers.
7. There are members of the "sane" party who would kill others to escape the wrath of the infected.
I could go on, but I'll stop there. While there are a few aspects of each story that do not resemble the other, they are strikingly similar. With the one difference being that The Mona Lisa was much scarier/more intense than Death Troopers.
Anyway, what do you guys think? They were both released at almost the same time, just so you know. Although the Flood aspect was around much longer than Death Troopers. So I think Halo wins in who came first.
Edit: I'm not accusing anyone of copying, just to clarify. I just think it's interesting that they so closely mirror one another.
"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker